Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining muscle without squats and deadlifts page

William is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I followed the PB diet for 2 years whilst continuing with a typical endurance training program for road cycling. My cycling improved significantly mainly as a result of additional weight loss.

I never suffered any injuries previously as a cyclist, however, since excising in a PB way I have suffered 2 injuries. The problem is the heavy lifting parts. I have a permanent sore back from and dead lifting and my shoulder hurts most of the time.

I am 43 years old, 5ft 10" and 144 lbs. I have managed to gain some muscle following the strong lifts program but I feel the risk of injury is too high and I do not feel good with all these aches and pains.

Once my injuries are improved, is there any way I can gain muscle without squatting and dead lifting.

In the meantime, I am stopping lifting and returning to my chronic _ cardio training until my injuries have healed.

Tarlach is offline Member

Sounds like you need to work on your form.

If you get injured you need to let it recover. "a permanent sore back from and dead lifting and my shoulder hurts most of the time" is not good practice.

The risk of injury while on PB is no different to the risk of injury on any other diet. You need to know what you are doing and do it properly.

Lifting a significant amount of weight with bad form is a guaranteed way of injuring yourself.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Agree with Tarlach.

Sounds like you need to work on your form, probably with lighter weight, until you get it down pat...AFTER your injuries heal.

Maybe try bodyweight work to get some baseline strength before moving into lifting iron. Form is important with b/w, too.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

Why the hell you would need squats?

There are also replacements for deadlifts

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

hoff Guest

It sounds to me like a combination of bad form and overtraining.

Squats place a TREMENDOUS strain on your body, which is why they lead to increased test/HGH production. If done correctly, they should definitely be enough of a workout by themselves, with no need for the bike/cardio.

Rest up, and either up your calories to give your body plenty for recovery or drop the bike.

Vick is offline Senior Member

My squats are done in a power cage with the support bar set near an upright position. It allows for a 1 inch range static hold for 1 -5 seconds.

I actually do 2 reps, with no plates on the bar, 2 with half weight to make sure I'm comfortable with my form. Then I do my one lift.

If you are still nervous about squats, then try the big 5

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

It's your form. I had the same problem - my lower back was killing me, until I got the form right. Post a video of yourself at the SL forum and we'll help you.

For now, take a break from squatting/deadlifting and stretch a lot and do hip mobility exercises. Those really helped me. Don't give up.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Asturian is offline Senior Member

@ Raphael

What is the SL forum?

@Vick

I don&#39;t understand how supprt bar can be near upright position. Is that the bar that is suppose to catch barbell if something goes wrong?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Asturian This link shows exacting how I do my dead lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpzW_TTqb8&feature=related

With the squat the barbell is a couple inches below shoulder height. That way the range of motion is limited to the maximum contraction and strength range of the muscles.

The cage protects me from a lifting error.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Thanks. I understand now.

One more question though.

Is the purpose of isometric exercises to grow muscle size or just strength?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast