Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I eat Primal when cooking isn't an option? page

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member

How do I eat Primal when cooking isn't an option?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone! New and interested in this whole primal/paleo thing but I have a couple issues:

I live in NYC and my work schedule is from 11:30am - 8pm, Monday through Friday. I usually leave my house at around 10:45ish (except the mornings I go to physical therapy for a foot injury) and am home around 8:45. I guess I'm looking for some packaged meal suggestions for lunch and dinner, since I don't love the idea of coming home at almost 9 to cook a meal. I only have a microwave at work. I also need to be careful with food costs; there are food delivery options where I work that I could formulate to fit the plan but I just can't afford to do that 5 days a week.

I do enjoy cooking, and am very good at it, so that will be easy enough on weekends but during the week it's tough. Any tips/meal plans or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andrea

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    Hi Andrea

I'm new at this gig too, but i think i can give ya a few tips here.... If you have a freezer you can easily sort yourself out some super meals on the weekend, freeze them, then before work throw em in the fridge to thaw. When you get home you will have tasty, homemade clean food ready to be heated up, toss up a salad and presto!
    Soups work fabulously, i've also frozen cooked chicken and ham... i haven't frozen cooked beef but i'm sure you could no problem. if you divide them into individual ziploc baggies you should be well and sorted!
    Hopes this helps some :-)

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Crock pots are great. Put in a cheap cut of meat, some veggies, a few seasonings, turn on low, dinner is ready when you get home.

Leftovers for lunch, or just throw a can of tuna or salmon on top of some salad fixins- a Big Ass Salad is my fav lunch!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Paleosence is offline Member
    Sounds like you have time for a full cooked breakfast in the mornings. Many people here only eat 2 meals a day. Not sure what time you go to bed, but a full meal just before bed isn't such a great idea anyway. Can you shift one of your main meals to a high protein breakfast? I'm thinking steaks, leftover crock pot meal and so on.

Crock pot, GREAT idea! I'll pull mine out and start using it. Thanks I already started today with a breakfast of eggs and spinach, salad for lunch with chicken and I have a piece of salmon I can cook up when I get home with quick veggies. Thanks again!

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i cook on the weekends for all my week day lunches. ... just a thought
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I hear you. I don't even like using a crock pot because I don't want to have to clean it after a day at work. I make and freeze a lot of soups. Then I only make one big mess on Sundays.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    During the week, I do most of my eating at work-breakfast around 10 and lunch around 2, I rarely eat more than a snack in the evening when I get home. I have mastered the art of cooking eggs in the microwave (scrambled and poached), add some avocado and salsa for a good breakfast. This week I cooked up a bunch of hamburger/bison patties that I can eat with eggs when I want a bigger breakfast, or just add to a big salad for lunch.
    Ditto on the Crockpot idea, I throw a pot roast in there almost every weekend, and eat it throughout the week, add some vegetables (which can easily be steamed in the microwave too), and you'll have a good meal. Now that it's getting cooler, there will also be a weekly pot of soup. Last week I made a big cottage pie (ground meat & vegetables, topped with mashed cauliflower and baked), and took a big serving of that for lunch a few times.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've found that Trader Joe's is pretty fairly priced. It's not often that I have to go, but I just get cans of the wild caught salmon and a bag of the hard boiled eggs and go to town. Easy for me because eggs + any fish to me is delicious with just a bit of salt and pepper, others may not be so lucky. That's about a $4 meal (most cans go for about $1.5, the eggs are $2.5 for 6, I eat three along with a can of salmon) so not too bad for a lunch. I have two cans and three eggs leftover from today actually, we had a pizza party at work but I wasn't in the mood for that.

It does sound like you have some time to cook before work, and you probably will need to learn to cook on the weekends, looks like you already got advice on that, but yeah, Trader Joe's isn't too bad. For what it's worth, I go to the one on 6th/21st I doubt others are more expensive though.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I've found that Trader Joe's is pretty fairly priced. It's not often that I have to go, but I just get cans of the wild caught salmon and a bag of the hard boiled eggs and go to town. Easy for me because eggs + any fish to me is delicious with just a bit of salt and pepper, others may not be so lucky. That's about a $4 meal (most cans go for about $1.5, the eggs are $2.5 for 6, I eat three along with a can of salmon) so not too bad for a lunch. I have two cans and three eggs leftover from today actually, we had a pizza party at work but I wasn't in the mood for that.

It does sound like you have some time to cook before work, and you probably will need to learn to cook on the weekends, looks like you already got advice on that, but yeah, Trader Joe's isn't too bad. For what it's worth, I go to the one on 6th/21st I doubt others are more expensive though.

I was totally thinking Trader Joes but didn't get into Manhattan last weekend (live in Queens). I work pretty near the one you go to, forgot it was there! I'll bounce over after work one of these evenings.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. On day 3. Definitely feeling the carb flu (kinda like a hangover) but I'm powering through

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast