Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Loss.... Please HELP page

Hair Loss.... Please HELP

Hey everyone,

I have gotten so much help from this forum. I appreciate all of you!
    My quick story is that I went "Paleo" in Feb/March of 2010. I have autoimmune problems and only get better , relief from severe joint inflammation by elimintaing ALL grains, ALL forms of dairy, sugar, soy, ALL nuts, and nightshade veggies: eggplant, peppers, TOMATOES, potatoes, paprika, jelepeno peppers, chipotle spices. This worked at not only lowering my c reactive protein in my blood (an inflammation marker), but I also lost 65 pounds in 4 1/2 months!

However, I started losing hand fulls of hair at a time. My husband would go in the shower after me and claim that a chia pet was stuck in the drain
    It was my hair. Then my hair dresser noticed and suggested I see the doctor. Well, I couldn't get a doc to back up my eating plan because most suggest that I eat at least 100grams of carbs a day. I was told that the hairloss could be from FAST weight loss or from not enough carbs. So, I added in blackbeans, hummus, and peanutbutter (once in a while). The peanut butter definately inflammed me but the beans didn't. I also ate more sweet potato chips or fries, too much fruit bloated me. Well, my hair loss did stop and so did my WEIGHT LOSS!
    I actually started gaining about 5 pounds a month! I've gained back 20 pounds. I need to lose 40! So, I'm not happy about this, but I must tell you that my hair looks GREAT! It's thicker and shiny.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to lose the weight but not my hair?
    The way I HAVE to eat for my health is already so restrictive because of not being able to eat the nightshade veggies, spices, and nuts, it would be difficult to restrict much more. I'm willing to not eat the beans or hummus anymore. Any thoughts???

Thanks!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious about how you settled into paleo. Did you get rid of all grains, dairy, nuts, legumes and nightshades all at once?

Will you post a typical day's worth of food? It's hard to say what the culprit might be without a sense of your calories and macros and so on.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I removed grains first because I KNEW I was gluten intolerant and ALL grains seem to inflame me. I didn't even know I was eating "Paleo".
    I can not tolerate dairy either. Dairy gives me sinus and ear infections and acne. I didn't know nuts were a problem till I ate them and got dizzy and inflammed from them. I knew eggplant, tomatoes, and spices cause such severe hip and joint pain that at times I couldn't hardly walk! I didn't know these were in the nightshade family till I did some investigation.

I will post a menu shortly.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can lose hair from too few carbs.

I know there are two of us here who have an autoimmune disease who lost their hair before becoming Paleo/Primal, and we are now both growing our hair back in. We are both doing bone broth, and we are not VLC. (I am also taking MSM.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Tigerlily, Do you have a recommendation on how many carbs will stop the hair loss without stopping the weight loss?
    I would love to talk to you more about this. I'm so scarred to lose my hair but I REALLY want to get the rest of the weight off.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea, as I've never gotten into this macro-counting thing. I'm for sure more than 50 carbs, though, given the vegetables I eat. And so is the other woman.

From what I've witnessed here, different people tolerate different levels of carbs, so you will just have to experiment to find your own sweet spot.

Bone broth, offal, fish oil, foods high in silica (such as cucumber), MSM (a sulfur compound) will nip this in the bud until you can get your optimal carb level dialed in via trial and error.

What is your autoimmune disease? With your AI, you are on the right track to stay off the dairy, nuts, and 'shades (basically, anything good ... HAHA). Are you hypothyroid and is it autoimmune in origin, per chance?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Grizz is offline Banned
    Uniquely,

IMO it is clear to me that your hormones have been messed up by "Leptin Resistance." Leptin is the Master Hormone that controls all others in our body. Leptin is the 1st casualty to the Conventional Wisdom High Grain, High Carb diet which leads to obesity, diabetes, PCOS, heart disease & more.

I suggest that you go on the Leptin Rx Diet, which is a special Paleo diet to restore & balance your hormones and lose weight, too
    The diet detailed here:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

Introduction to Leptin here:
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

Leptin Reset Supplements:
    WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? | Jack Kruse

With this special Paleo diet designed by Dr. Jack Kruse, you can balance your hormones & lose weight, too. It is working wonders for my wife & myself.

Edit: Here is a testimonial from Georgette:
    I'm in week 5 I believe. I'm not sure how many pounds I've dropped but I am losing inches in my waist, arms and legs. I plan on weighing this weekend just for shits & giggles. I really don't care if the scale moves one way or the other, the changes in my body is very noticeable. Face looks a ton thinner. Clothes fit better. Hair is a lot stronger and is growing like a weed. Same with my finger/toe nails. I have to now shave 3 times a week versus the 1 time I'm accustomed to. Sex drive is increased by a megaton and I've always had a high drive to begin with. Mood is stabilizing so much more than even when I initially went primal. Sleep is so much better and more restful and I used to somewhat be an insomniac. I'm getting to a point doing this that eating 50g of protein is getting difficult. I probably ate about 40g this morning and am comfortably full. I don't need as much protein to get full for breakfast. I do suggest doing what Digby said, cook meat ahead of time. Even if its not meat for breakfast, you can have stuff prepared for an easy lunch or dinner. I do walk or do bodyweight exercises in the evenings versus morning.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post502503

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    When you've got a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My gosh - you and I could be the exact same person. I have autoimmune disease and need to eat exactly the way you do in order to feel decent. The only difference is that I was losing tons of hair before going primal. I lost over half of my hair.

I recently went to the hair dresser and he pointed out that I have massive new hair growth coming in - he said it is a couple of months old. It looked to him like chemo patients who stop the drugs. It is weird now - it all stands up on my head! But I'm not complaining - in a month or two it will be long enough to lay down.

The problem is - I'm not exactly sure which thing changed it but I have a few thoughts. A lot of the things are the same as what Tigerlily said:

1. Bone broths - I make them every week.

2. Liver - I hate liver but have added it once a week. I have a feeling this was a contributor.

3. Bone marrow - in addition to the chicken stock I make, I buy beef bones with lots of marrow and make beef stew with the marrow in it. I don't love it, but it does improve my energy.

4. MSM - I did add this to my supplement routine a few months ago to help my skin. It is possible this is part of the hair growth too.

It is also possible that all that weight loss is what did it to you. If you ditch the beans and add in once or twice a week of higher carb meals - sweet potatoes, squash, etc maybe that would be a nice balance between keeping your hair and losing the fat

I have a question for you - have you found any good tricks to boosting energy? I am much, much better eating paleo but I still have problems with fatigue from AI stuff I guess. Did you have fatigue issues?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @jammies,

I have a question for you - have you found any good tricks to boosting energy? I am much, much better eating paleo but I still have problems with fatigue from AI stuff I guess.
    IMO, the best energy booster is a few tablespoons of coconut oil or a shot of high carbs. I prefer the coconut oil to keep my carbs low. To replace all the energy lost from removing High Carbs from our diet, we need healthy oils & healthy fats.

@GrumpyCaveman,

Instead of being grumpy and complaining, I suggest you give this lady your best advice on her problem. Lets see what your hammer is.

Grizz

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast