Thread: Is coconut milk that healthy? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

Is coconut milk that healthy?

From what I understand the benefit of coconut milk is its MCFA which is a very healthy type of fatty acid. Apart from that, coconut milk contains some potassium which is good as well. But it also contains some sugar (around 5 g/100 ml, 50% of which is fructose) and zero vitamins. So it seems that is a good source for good fat and some carbs but hasn`t much to offer apart from this. While I do not eat a lot of dairy, milk products seem, on the other hand, at least quite high in micronutrients. Or did I miss something? Doesn`t coconut oil offer the same benefits without the sugar? Sure, the milk is great in some Asian dishes (because of the taste) but it seems to be a staple in many people`s diet...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk also lacks lactose, which means that people who don't do or don't tolerate dairy can enjoy it.

Mostly I see it as a dairy alternative, but that's because I handle dairy well. I can drink a small carton of half-and-half or heavy cream for breakfast. Some don't drink dairy, for whatever reason, so they drink coconut milk or almond milk, though almond milk is less of a natural item, and the fats therein aren't as healthy.

Also, coconut milk is less likely to have artificial hormones or antibiotics.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Coconut milk also lacks lactose, which means that people who don't do or don't tolerate dairy can enjoy it.

Mostly I see it as a dairy alternative, but that's because I handle dairy well. I can drink a small carton of half-and-half or heavy cream for breakfast. Some don't drink dairy, for whatever reason, so they drink coconut milk or almond milk, though almond milk is less of a natural item, and the fats therein aren't as healthy.

Also, coconut milk is less likely to have artificial hormones or antibiotics.
    Less likely? lol

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's more to coconuts than lauric acid, potassium, and sugar. Just because it's not rich in micronutrients doesn't mean it's a bad source of macronutrients.