Thread: Fruit and exhaustion page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Fruit and exhaustion

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm seeing my doctor this coming Wednesday.

I've been primal since mid-August, about 80/20 or better, and I've been exercising. I've been loving the results - weight loss, fat loss, mental clarity. At first, I was brimming with energy. And then, starting at the end of September, I started feeling differently. Nauseated. Heartburn. And most of all, bone-crushing exhaustion.

I've known since the beginning that my fruit intake is extremely high -- usually, four servings of fruit daily, usually medium apples, large bananas and clementine oranges, with the occasional 1/2 c of blackberries or other berry. Sometimes, cantaloupe. But usually apples, bananas and oranges.

And my vegetable intake is rather low -- sure, a baby spinach/baby romaine salad once daily, sometimes a serving of riced cauliflower; the occasional broccoli/carrot mash. A whole bell pepper or cucumber. But overall, my vegetable intake is not as high as my daily fruit intake.

So I was wondering if the high fruit intake could be either exacerbating or even causing my extreme exhaustion. Maybe it's an insulin crash from all the fructose. I really don't know. I've never been diabetic. And when I was eating SAD, this exhaustion never happened. (Of course, there were a host of other maladies, but that's another story.)

I also tend to eat too much dairy. Maybe the lactose is also a contributor?

Anyway, I was hoping to pick the collective Grok mind and see if you thought that yes, the extra fruit (and maybe dairy) could be the culprit. I was also wondering what other plants I should be focusing on -- are there any vegetables or tubers that I should be consuming daily in larger amounts?

If it matters, I'm 40, female, just under five feet tall, and weigh about 107 with about 24% body fat.

(When I see my doctor, I'll be getting a blood panel, so they'll be checking my iron levels, my thyroid, etc. But I feel like food is my best medicine, and that there's a good chance I've thrown things out of whack and that I can get back to my happy place of high energy.)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any other symptoms besides the exhaustion, nausea and heartburn? Like gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation? (Not necessary but common) I have fructose malabsorption so I have to be careful with the amount of fruit I eat and which types. Apples and pears as well as stone fruit are particularly bad as they also contain sorbitol. When you change your diet your gut flora changes as well, sometimes highlighting things that may not have caused as much of a problem in the past. This isn't to say that it couldn't be something else, but FM is more common than most realize and very commonly overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Do you have any other symptoms besides the exhaustion, nausea and heartburn? Like gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation?
    Actually...yes. Gas and constipation. Huh. Thanks for mentioning fructose malabsorption -- I will definitely look into that!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Ah, then that would be my guess. Probably not a bad idea to bring it up with the doctor, but if it's constipation then most likely you are a methane producer. If they want to test you for it they'll have to test for both methane and hydrogen. Cutting back on the fruit and seeing if you feel better ought to be a pretty good indicator if your doctor is unfamiliar (many are) and easier/cheaper. Look into FODMAPS. Not everyone reacts to the same foods so don't freak out too badly. I have no problem with onions and garlic, cruciferous veg. I'm fine with cucumbers as long as I remove the seeds/pulp first. If you eat nuts you may need to be careful with the skins, as those can be an issue for many. I can only eat blanched or skinless nuts. Everybody has different threshholds. I can eat strawberries till they're coming out of my ears but blueberries in moderation. A couple dates at a time is no problem, half a banana, a few bites of melon. I haven't tried grapes lately so not sure, but apples, pears and stone fruit are off limits.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    High sugar intake increases the amount of "bad" bacteria in your gut that feeds off sugar. If for a period of time, you aren't eating sugar, this bacteria resorts to feeding off the sugar in your blood, making you feel tired. If you increase your vegetable intake, and decrease sugar, these pesky bacteria will begin to die off and their numbers will lower.

I've had this exact same problem, and I accredit it in part to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    High sugar intake increases the amount of "bad" bacteria in your gut that feeds off sugar. If for a period of time, you aren't eating sugar, this bacteria resorts to feeding off the sugar in your blood, making you feel tired. If you increase your vegetable intake, and decrease sugar, these pesky bacteria will begin to die off and their numbers will lower.

I've had this exact same problem, and I accredit it in part to the above.
    Thanks, Bosnic. I hope this works!