Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Misabi) page

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Primal Journal (Misabi)

Just a quick intro as the links below have all the gruesome details.
    Basically, I've been paleo off and on for a few years, finally finding the PB around July 2010 and never looking back

Before and after pics thread
    Obligatory introduce yourself thread

Why am I starting a journal after being primal for so long, you ask?
    Because, for me, PB works too well!
    Because I haven't had to go back to wearing my baggy pants, I haven't had the motivation to get my arse back in the gym and I'm inherently lazy

With my diet & sleep dialled in and improved management of stress levels all minimising any inflammation, my body composition has been easy to maintain over the past year with little exercise. I walk to and from work, around 30 to 45 mins / day, and have occasionally done some impromptu bodyweight workouts (some months a couple of times a week, other months only a couple of days, other months nothing).

This journal is as a result of the many inspirational stories on the before and after thread, of people who have a much harder time losing weight or maintaining their body comp at their desired levels, and is my commitment to aiming for the 100% primal lifestyle rather than just concentrating on eating primally.

It's also a challenge to myself to see what changes I can make to my physique in the coming months by introducing a couple of weight lifting sessions and a sprint session per week.

Grok on
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-21-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Day 1

Meals
    Brekkie: 3 egg omelette + a couple of roast Hong Kong pork ribs left over from last night's dinner.
    Snack: piece of home made beef jerky and a handful of macadamias.
    Dinner: Last piece of the Hong Kong pork ribs, half a kumara & kale sauteed in bacon grease with a little bacon to garnish.

Impromptu workout today as I had to collect sea water for my fish tank.
    So approx 20 metre farmers walks carrying buckets of water. Took about 10 mins.

1 x 20 litres
    7 x 40 litres

Not sure what sea water weighs, but felt like roughly 20 kgs/20 litre bucket.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-22-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: corrected spelling & add pictures

Got busy tonight while making dinner for today, fried off some chopped bacon ready to use in egg & veggie muffins that I'll cook tomorrow.
    I usually cook up a couple of trays of them to eat for brekkie, snacks or lunch during the week.

Used the grease from this to sautee the kale for tonight's dinner, as well as some as a garnish.

Also cooking up a batch of beef shin on bone as a kind of chilli/stew ready for dinner during the week.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-25-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Haven't had time post any updates for a couple of days, so here we go

Day 2 - Sunday

Up at 06:30 and on the road by 07:00, without brekkie, as I had a 3.5hr drive to visit a macadamia orchard that I'm thinking of buying.
    Had 1/4 of a supermarket rotisserie chicken & a banana around 11:00.

The orchard is about 10 acres and we walked around the perimeter to have a good look around, however dh lost the car key at some point and only noticed just as we got back to the farm house. This meant that we ended up walking around the perimeter another couple of times until we found the keys, so that was the exercise for the day

For lunch we ended up stopping at a pub on the way home, where I had a big bowl of seafood chowder, which tasted great but was less than 100% primal as it had that nasty fake crab meat surimi.

Got home and had some beef jerky while we got ready to a mates house to watch the rugby world cup final.
    Thankfully, when we got there they'd saved a huge pile of the whole pig that they'd spit roasted that I topped off with a large salad.

I was a good boy and only had 2 bottles of beer to celebrate the All Blacks win over the French.

Day 3 - Monday

Had a few tablespoons of greek yoghurt over 1/2 a cup of blueberries and a handful of macadamias for breakfast.

Took the dogs out for a walk for about 30 mins, and also did a couple of 100m sprints while we were out.

For lunch I had a couple of spoons of chilli made from beef shin on bone, slow cooked in a cast iron pot on Saturday night, along with a couple of pieces of jerky and a dollop of sour cream.

Dinner was chilli served over salad.

Finally cooked up a few trays of egg, bacon & cauliflower muffins (using the bacon that I cooked up on Saturday):
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-25-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Day 4 - Tuesday

At brekkie at around 11:30 today, which consisted of 6 egg, bacon & cauliflower muffins and 3 chunks of jerky.

Also had a banana mid afternoon.
    Ate dinner early, around 17:30. More chilli on salad.

Was peckish again a couple of hours later, so had an avocado and blueberry smoothie and a square of lindt 85% chocolate.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-25-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Oops, missed a couple of days. Here goes trying to remember.....

Day 5 - Wednesday

Brekkie around midday: 5 egg muffins & some jerky

Hit the weights in the gym, did some squats, clean and presses, pull ups and dips.
    Ate a banana & orange after the gym.

Dinner: was more chilli on salad + half a kumara with some butter

Picked up a couple of cartons of H2coco coconut water that's just recently gone on sale here in NZ, one natural and the other pineapple flavoured, pretty good

I've been trying out the new paleo track food tracking tool just to make sure I'm not under eating (which I find easy to do on PB) as I'm trying to add some muscle mass, and as I thought I'm probably sitting around the 2000 calorie mark on average, maybe a little lower. More importantly, my protein intake was sitting at around 100g, when ideally it should be at 155 - 160g (working on 1g/lb of body weight)

So knocked up a whipping cream and blueberry smoothie/mouse with a scoop of whey powder (belongs to dh).
    Realised later that the whey causes me some bloating and gasiness, so won't be doing that again.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-27-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Day 6 - Thursday

Rest day today and after looking at how much I've been eating and the numbers yesterday, decided to up it a bit today.
    As I need more protein, I thought I'd bring back an old favourite that I was eating almost daily when I was training hard a couple of years ago:
    canned wild caught salmon and cottage cheese! It may not sound appetising, but it's packed with protein, good fats and good for your omega 6 : 3 ratio and tastes surprisingly good

So, here's the food for today:

Brekkie (approx 11:00): 6 egg, bacon muffins, 100g jerky, a dozen mac nuts & 1 orange.
    Dinner 1 (approx 17:30): 400g kumara, with butter 200g of canned salmon and 150g cottage cheese.
    Dinner 2 (approx 19:30): Liver (125g), bacon (75g) and onions, served with mixed mesclun salad & baby spinach leaves.

Also drank a couple of mugs of tea and 2 of milk (approx 660ml) throughout the day.

Which according to PaleoTrack looks something like this:

Last edited by Misabi; 10-28-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Made it back to the gym today, though afterwards I was wishing I hadn't and left it until Monday instead

Today I was in a rush so decided to keep it short and do just 5x5 squats, 5x5 bench press and 2 x 5 deadlift.
    Only my 2nd week back on the weights, so trying to ease into it as I have a habit to go to hard too soon.

65kg on the final set of squats
    50kg bench
    60kg deadlift

Managed to strain my shoulder, which I think I actually did on Weds but today just pushed it too far.

Food for today was the same menu as yesterday

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agghh, have slacked off on updating the journal... So I'm not going to try and catch up with meals etc. for the last couple of weeks.

Food wise, I've carried on as above and concentrated on getting enough protein.
    However, my suspicions were correct and I did manage to injure my shoulder, so I rested it up last week and just did a couple of sprint sessions.

Managed to get a weights session in the day before yesterday and apart from a couple of slight twinges, afterwards my should felt good.
    Up to squatting my bodyweight for 3x5 with another 2 sets 5kg's lower than bodyweight. But I'm thinking of dropping back a little and adding a couple of kg's per week to build up.

Planning on making time to get in the gym again tomorrow and then sprints at the weekend.

April 2011

Oct 11

Nov 11
    Last edited by Misabi; 11-13-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast