Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Misabi) page 3

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    It's been so long since my last update that I don't know where to begin....

A new year has begun and everyone is making their resolutions, which means that the gym at work is going to be packed to the rafters and it's only small!

Time to find another way to train me thinks. I was getting bored with the starting strength style workout anyway, fuckarounditis much?! Maybe, but that's why I like the crossfit concept when I got into that back in 2008. I can't afford to join the local box and prefer working out on my own anyway to be honest, and don't have anywhere at home to do olympic lifts.

I've been toying with the idea of putting up some bars in the back garden for a while and after watching a few bodyweight exercise videos on the youtubes recently I've decided that it's the way to go. This kid puts out some really good training vids So I'm looking into the best way to go ahead and am planning on getting them up next weekend.

In the meantime:

Late Nov/Early December 2011

Boxing day 2011

Ah well, time to tighten it up and get my butt back into gear after doing virtually nothing physical over the past 2 weeks. Though I'm not going to beat myself up about it or punish myself by doing insane workouts etc. this recent post by That Paleo Guy pretty much hits the nail on the head in that department.
    Still hot! You have a wee bit of the puff tum Who's the baker/cook in your family? They have perhaps been loving you with sweets and Yorkshire puddings? Are you tall, perchance?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Brekkie this morning was some lovely texas chilli beef sausages (grain free) from my local butcher, shredded cabbage, tomatoes and eggs all cooked in the spicy fat left over from the sausages. Nom nom nom

Lunch was an avocado, coconut milk, whey protein and blueberry smoothie (because I was too lazy to get real food
    Arvo snack: a banana and a handful of mac nuts.
    Dinner is going to be mackerel, coconut milk and some veggies.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Oh myyyy, your breakfast looks amazing! Did I tell you I tried the cauli muffins? They were a hit!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Oh myyyy, your breakfast looks amazing! Did I tell you I tried the cauli muffins? They were a hit!
    Cool
    I've been meaning to cook up a batch, haven't had them in a while.

<note to self, pick up a tray of eggs on the way home>
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

So here's a recipe I've been playing with recently (I didn't invent it, but can't remember where I got it from originally) based on a Malaysian/Indonesian style soup or stew:

As I was cooking for 15+ people I used the following approximate amounts and ingredients, but you can take this as a base and play with it, scale it down, etc., whatever spices you have in the pantry. I also substituted the beef for lamb neck chops, the second I made it.

Ingredients
    1 kilo grams of beef, cuts meant for making soup or curries. (use cheaper cuts that need to be cooked slowly, like brisket)
    1 kilo grams of beef tendons
    Veggies: 4 large onions, (can add a bulb of garlic, but I don’t eat it if I can help it), 6 sticks of celery, 6 large tomatoes, 4 medium carrots, 1 tspn of powdered ginger (could use fresh obviously). Finely chop the onion. (garlic if included), ginger and cut the other veggies into large pieces.
    Herbs: Not vital, but adds a different dimension. Throw in some of your favourite flavours.
    Whole spices: 8 cloves, 4 star anise, 8 cardamom pods or a tspn of powder.
    Spices (powdered): Use your favourite spice/rub. I use garam masala, but you could use a Moroccan or Cajun mix. Either rub it into the meat, or just sprinkle it into the crok pot. I used 5 or 6 tablespoons of garam masala.
    Some fat for browning the meat if you choose to.
    Enough to just cover the meat/veggies during cooking.

Instructions
    I put all of the ingredients into the pot, starting with the onions, celery etc. then the tendons and meat (but you could brown off the meat first in a separate pan before adding the onions and spices then the veggies and water). I then sprinkle in the spices and stir through so everything gets a good coating. If you’ve time leave it like this for an hour or so to let the flavours really get ingrained into everything.
    Pour in the water until it just covers everything, which in my case was just before it overflowed the crok pot

Stick it on low and leave to cook, it’ll probably be done after 8 or 9 hours, but the longer you leave it the better it gets. It’s ready to eat when the tendons have gone nice and soft and almost translucent. If you put it on high, obviously the cooking time is reduced. The last time I made this was during the day, it was turned on at about midday on low to begin with, but switched to high at at around 1 or 2 pm to make sure that it was ready to eat that evening.

When the beef tendon is nice and gooey, add salt to taste and fresh herbs and serve.

I should be cooking it again this week, so will add some pics then

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Still hot! You have a wee bit of the puff tum Who's the baker/cook in your family? They have perhaps been loving you with sweets and Yorkshire puddings? Are you tall, perchance?
    lol that was after I'd stuffed myself senseless on xmas day
    We essentially had to family xmas dinners (one at lunch time & one in the evening), with the first being an all you can eat buffet at a restaurant. Apart from the desert I had after each meal (normally I'd only have a real desert once every coupla months, maybe) it was mostly primal (ie. meat and veggies), but man I got my money's worth at the buffet

As for being tall, nah I'm a short arse. Only 5' 9" on a good day

Just weight myself last night, while we were at the outlaws for the Chinese new year celebrations (I don't have scales, so I only ever weigh myself there) and I'm back up to 75 kg's (have been around 60 kg for the past year or so). I've got a little to lose around my waist, as it's back to a 32" but other than that I'm fine with it and I'm not sure that I want to lean out as much as I had before for now. My face looks better when I'm not so lean, can look a little gaunt when I was at 29", and the little fat helps smooth out the wrinkles

Oh and I do lots of the cooking at home, especially if I want to make sure that no sesame oil, or other sneaky garbage slips in. But even when my SO cooks it's all meat, veggies and some rice. So really it's down to whether I sweat the small stuff (like what's in the sauces, condiments, etc.) that he uses. I figure that once a twice a week it isn't worth worrying about whether the sweet soy he's used to make fantastic ketchup chicken has wheat, soy and sugar in it. I only get a little coating the chicken and don't pour more sauce over the top, so it's minimal and doesn't seem to have any ill affects.
    Last edited by Misabi; 01-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.

I've been back at work for a couple of weeks now, so back to walking the 15 to 20 mins morning and arvo to and from the train to work.
    Certainly feel the difference to being a complete sloth throughout the holidays! If I'm at the beach, or there's something physical to do I get into it, but when you're stuck at home and it rains solid for over 2 weeks solid I just get stuck in lazy mode and veg out.

For the past two weeks I've been doing a push up, lunge(could replace with any kind of leg exercise like air / hindu squats), press up workout at home in addition to my other sporadic bodyweight sessions, daily walks and sprint sessions. It's made quite a difference and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to improve the number of pull ups, or push ups, or lunges for that matter, in a short amount of time.

Years ago I read a story (which may just be an urban legend to demonstrate a point, but it does it well) about a young high school grid iron player who was struggling with push ups, which went something like this (prepare for severe paraphrasing ).

One day a young football player asked his coach for his advice on how to improve his press ups.
    The coach told him to start the next day and do 1 press up when he got up in the morning, the next day do 2, the following day 3, etc.

The kid did as he was told and the coach forgot all about it until a number of months / a year later (depends which version of the story you find) the kid talks to the coach again and says "hey coach, when can I stop doing the press ups in the mornings" the coach answered "as soon as you find the press ups easy and can do 20 in one go", the kid stops and looks at the coach and says "Are you kidding me?.. I've been adding one a day every morning all year, can now do over 300 press ups in one hit and you're telling me I could've stopped at 20?.."

As I said, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but the principle certainly seems simple enough and looks like it works.

I could already do 10 pull ups (dead hang, straight arms) and with rest in between could pump probably 2, maybe 3, sets before I'd start having to break down the sets into smaller numbers.

As of yesterday I'm up to 22 of each exercise and I pulled 15 smooth pullups before I fell off of the bar, and then straight back on bar to finish the rest in another one or 2 sets without rest.

I'll see how this week goes, but I'm thinking about scaling back to build it up again, as in hindsight I probably should have started lower than 10 to begin with.

2 or 3 times a week I've followed this up by a couple more rounds of the 3 exercises too, mixing up the legs with forward and reverse lunges as well as my current favourite fun leg exercise which I call 'spiderman groks'

Basically I go right down into a grok squat with my hands on the floor between my feet, then push up as hard and fast as I can to jump as high as I can, trying to bringing my knees up as high as I can (which gets progressively lower as the session goes on ;-) and throw my arms up. This really gets the blood pumping and a good burn in the quads.

Bottom position

(Probably best not to try these on the top of a building though..., just sayin)

Top position
    Last edited by Misabi; 01-22-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: changed images

Carrying on with the push up, lunge, pull up, 1 up sessions and yesterday's target was 24.
    Pull ups are the have been the only challenging exercise and yesterday I managed 19 before falling off the bar (16 without stopping, then another 3), straight back on the bar then another 3, then 2.

So in 14 days I've increased my max pull ups without dropping off the bar from 10 to 19, sounds good to me
    It'll be interesting to see if this continues to be a linear progression and I'm able to just add an extra rep to each exercise each day, or if I'll have to start breaking it up separate sets throughout the day..

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member
    Those muffins sound amazing! I wonder if it would be good to cook on the stove - unfortunately I don't have an oven here in Thailand so baking anything is out of the question

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    That's great on the pullups

Have you heard of "Greasing the Groove", that might be interesting to try too
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast