Thread: Confused with the Math... Need a little guidence page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

Confused with the Math... Need a little guidence

Primal Fuel
    I just finished the Chapter in Mark’s book on weight loss and I am confused by the numbers and math. I need some help and guidance. I have gone out to Fitday.com and done my calculations So basically, doing the calculations from Mark’s Book, I am 327lbs at 42% body fat. According to the BMR calculations, with the Activity Factor thrown in, to maintain my body weight, I need to consume 4250 calories per day. Using Mark’s calculations from the book again, I have something like this.

Total Daily Average Calorie Expenditure 4250.116
    Average Daily Protein Intake (grams) 132.762

Total daily Calories from protein 531.048
    Average Daily Carb Intake (grams) 75

Total Daily Calories from Carbs 300

Deficit Required to lose 2lbs/week 932
    Total Daily Calories should be 3318.116
    Total Daily from Carbs and Protein 831.048
    Calories from Fat should be 2487.068

According to the calculations, I need to be eating a total of 3318 calories a day to lose 2 lbs per week, and 2487 calories should be from Fat… That is 3 Sticks of Butter….. I have already put my breakfast and lunch into FitDay and have this to show…

Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g)

Total 990 51.0 50.2 81.3

I am currently 2328 calories short of being where I need to be for the deficit of 932 calories. That means I need to eat that many calories for dinner and most of it should be fat. Hello butter…..

I am a little confused and need some help

Thanks

JHen is offline Member
    Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are not. Stick to primal foods. Lavish in the glory as you are swimming in your current clothes and need to buy new ones. Don't count calories.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You do NOT need to count calories when you have that much weight to lose. Obsessing over the numbers right now will hold you back. Focus on your food quality, keep carbs lowish (<100g, easy to do by focusing on meat & veggies as 90% of your food), get plenty of protein and fat, and you will probably start shedding pounds like a spooked cat sheds fur.

You only need to worry about micromanaging your diet and changing your strategy if/when you stall on your weight loss. Good luck!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

dado Guest
    i don't know, all that number shit looks retarded.

just eat

I appreciate the feedback. I have been living primal now for almost two months and not counted calories once. I have lost almost 40 lbs. I had just finally gotten to that chapter in the book and decided to run the figures and came up with a big WTF..

I think Mark's figures probably work more with people who are more "normal" in body size. Like the Krogs in the book.....

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHen View Post
    Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are not. Stick to primal foods. Lavish in the glory as you are swimming in your current clothes and need to buy new ones. Don't count calories.
    This can SERIOUSLY backfire on people with food issues...anyone over 300 pounds probably has serious food issues. Tormag, I am going to say that you are probably a lot more than 42% body fat. Unless you are some sort of behemoth 190 pounds of lean body mass is unlikely.

I started at 315 pounds at a bit more than 50% body fat (estimated). I started right around the beginning of September. I am at about 187 right now. I am eating around 2,000 calories a day. I feel great, very energetic, and don't feel deprived or hungry. I have implemented a daily fast...basically I just eat my first meal around 12-12:30, my second meal around 4:30-5, and my third and final meal around 7:30-8. It works for me. I also have two days a week where for dinner I have whatever I want to eat. I try not to overdo it and I actually try to fast earlier in the day.

The key to losing weight is determination and will power. When you mess up (and you will mess up...everyone goes off their diet at some point or another) just stay strong and pick your diet right back up the next day. Too many times have I started dieting and I go off it one time and I think "oh well, diet ruined, resume horrible diet that put me above 300 pounds in the first place.

And I disagree with people saying not to count calories. Everyone works differently but this is how I have done it: I eat a set breakfast of around 500 calories (including 10 fish oil pills). Every day it is the same thing. Then my lunch and dinner is about 600 calories, then with a fruit (usually a banana or apple) and a side of steamed vegetables. This has worked well for me, but it might not work well for you. Figure out what works for you. And don't be too strict. It might seem beneficial to be strict, but it can cause bingeing which can cause abandonment of the diet completely.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. I have been living primal now for almost two months and not counted calories once. I have lost almost 40 lbs. I had just finally gotten to that chapter in the book and decided to run the figures and came up with a big WTF..

I think Mark's figures probably work more with people who are more "normal" in body size. Like the Krogs in the book.....
    you lost 40 lbs? that's awesome.

you can tell the numbers to go you know what to themselves

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    This can SERIOUSLY backfire on people with food issues...anyone over 300 pounds probably has serious food issues. Tormag, I am going to say that you are probably a lot more than 42% body fat. Unless you are some sort of behemoth 190 pounds of lean body mass is unlikely.

I started at 315 pounds at a bit more than 50% body fat (estimated). I started right around the beginning of September. I am at about 187 right now. I am eating around 2,000 calories a day. I feel great, very energetic, and don't feel deprived or hungry. I have implemented a daily fast...basically I just eat my first meal around 12-12:30, my second meal around 4:30-5, and my third and final meal around 7:30-8. It works for me. I also have two days a week where for dinner I have whatever I want to eat. I try not to overdo it and I actually try to fast earlier in the day.

The key to losing weight is determination and will power. When you mess up (and you will mess up...everyone goes off their diet at some point or another) just stay strong and pick your diet right back up the next day. Too many times have I started dieting and I go off it one time and I think "oh well, diet ruined, resume horrible diet that put me above 300 pounds in the first place.

And I disagree with people saying not to count calories. Everyone works differently but this is how I have done it: I eat a set breakfast of around 500 calories (including 10 fish oil pills). Every day it is the same thing. Then my lunch and dinner is about 600 calories, then with a fruit (usually a banana or apple) and a side of steamed vegetables. This has worked well for me, but it might not work well for you. Figure out what works for you. And don't be too strict. It might seem beneficial to be strict, but it can cause bingeing which can cause abandonment of the diet completely.
    I appreciate the feedback, and yes, I am a "behemoth 190 pounds of lean body mass" my football coaches used to tell me I would be playing in the NFL, but a couple of knee surgeries and some serious lack of motavation ended that...... I have had my body fat calculated by several different people. My problem, I used to eat too much of the wrong stuff. I soda pop'd myself into type II diabetes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I appreciate the feedback, and yes, I am a "behemoth 190 pounds of lean body mass" my football coaches used to tell me I would be playing in the NFL, but a couple of knee surgeries and some serious lack of motavation ended that...... I have had my body fat calculated by several different people. My problem, I used to eat too much of the wrong stuff. I soda pop'd myself into type II diabetes.
    lol, I figured if those numbers were close to accurate you would be a football player. Honestly though, if I were you, I wouldn't focus on getting 3300 calories a day. I would say you should start even lower than that, maybe at about 2500 and see how you feel. If you feel alright eating about 2500 then there is no need to increase to 3300. You certainly shouldn't add butter to your diet just to get extra calories in while you are trying to lose weight. It just seems counter productive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    lol, I figured if those numbers were close to accurate you would be a football player. Honestly though, if I were you, I wouldn't focus on getting 3300 calories a day. I would say you should start even lower than that, maybe at about 2500 and see how you feel. If you feel alright eating about 2500 then there is no need to increase to 3300. You certainly shouldn't add butter to your diet just to get extra calories in while you are trying to lose weight. It just seems counter productive to me.
    The quote about the butter was more of the WTF part. It always amazes me when I do this kind of calculation the amount of calories it supposedly takes to maintain this bod..... Putting my food intake and activity into Fitday, shows me why I have already lost the weight in two months.