Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Expert Opinions page

Jujube is offline Junior Member

Need Some Expert Opinions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating primal for about a month now. I still weigh the same as when I started. I need to lose about 20 lbs, I'm not worried about the weight. I'm still figuring out what works for me. I know I ate too many nuts and cheese the first couple weeks so now I have cut those out. I've known for sometime now that grains were the cause of most health problems and I don't plan on starting them again. In fact I don't miss them.

This is where I need opinions. I can't afford to feed my family grass fed beef, all organic produce, free range chicken etc. It's just too expensive right now. I'm just wondering if eating corn fed beef, bacon with nitrates etc may do more harm than good in the long run and maybe that's why some of us don't get the great results?

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I am not an expert, and this is kind of a tricky question. More harm than good in relation to what? They will do more harm than the organic, grass-fed, pastured choices. Will they do more harm than a vegetarian diet? Are the veggies organic? I have a suggestion:

Budget more money for food. You'd be surprised where you can cut (cable, cell phone service, etc...). This doesn't necessarily mean to budget enough to get all of your food at the highest quality. It means to try to find a few extra dollars to get pastured, organic eggs and butter and maybe some organic, grass-fed ground beef and broth bones every now and then. Buy organic when you are purchasing "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables. This will improve your diet considerably.

In the end, eliminating grains and eating real food, even if it is conventional, will still reap benefits. My guess is that the "lack of results" is coming from other things. With a quick search of the forum, you can find folks who have also been slow to see results and you can see the advice they are offered.
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 10-21-2011 at 10:20 AM.

dado Guest
    indeed, i am an expert, and i will tell you that eating regular meats is not the reason for your lack of good results.

in the long run, no, you will be fine.

organic, grass-fed, this is a huge scam industry. a producer can tweak one variable one way or the other and they can slap a grass-fed label on it.

an organic or grass-fed label is no guarantee that your meat is healthier.

organic, grass-fed is for people who like to throw money around so that they can feel better about themselves, and so they can feel they are good people. people like U2's Bono.

eat the regular meats and you will be fine.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    indeed, i am an expert, and i will tell you that eating regular meats is not the reason for your lack of good results.

in the long run, no, you will be fine.

organic, grass-fed, this is a huge scam industry. a producer can tweak one variable one way or the other and they can slap a grass-fed label on it.

an organic or grass-fed label is no guarantee that your meat is healthier.

organic, grass-fed is for people who like to throw money around so that they can feel better about themselves, and so they can feel they are good people. people like U2's Bono.

eat the regular meats and you will be fine.
    Bullshit. You can't claim 100% grass-fed if the cows have been fed grains. That is illegal. The organic label is less meaningful, that's true, and means less with regard to meat. But 100% grass-fed actually is nutritionally superior to grain-finished meat. I will pay up for 100% grass-fed, but not for organic with beef.

That said, it is much better for your health to eat grain-fed meat than not to eat meat at all. You are still getting the benefits of the animal protein, B vitamins, saturated fat, etc. If you can work some regular oily fish into your diet as well (canned sardines and similar small oily fish are cheap, if you can stomach them, and are very nutritious), that will go a long way toward correcting the omega-3 deficiency in the grain-fed products.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Grass-fed and finished/pastured is definitely better than regular store beef, but do not let the search for perfect get in the way of good. Also, check for other animals -- lamb, bison/buffalo, duck, etc. You can also use many "lesser" cuts -- hamburger, of course, brisket, chuck roast, etc. If you are cooking at home rather than eating out, you may find that you can upgrade you meat choices and still save money. And you can cook in bulk and freeze leftover meals.

And don't forget foods like liver (which I have always loved, but there are many great recipes on this site) and of course, fish. Right now you may still find Copper River salmon frozen (Costco) due to a great run last year. Or go for canned salmon, preferably Pacific salmon (not farmed) and canned tuna! I always have some small cans of tuna with me for emergencies -- can always put on a green salad for a nice lunch.

If you can only afford one organic/pastured thing, try for eggs. You can also get Omega-3 eggs, which are fed with flax seed to help the 3/6 profile.

Look for uncured bacon -- it doesn't cost that much more and doesn't have the nitrates/nitrites.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Thanks everyone, great advice. I do know that my lack of results is my fault. Over doing the nuts & cheese and also not exercising like I should. I'm working on that.

Thanks agian for the great tips!

dado Guest
    you can't overdo it on the cheese. on the nuts, yes, you can go too much.

Thanks dado, I LOVE cheese but I have a mucus problem, I'm thinking it's probably the dairy so I'm eliminating it for now, hopefully I can add it back in small amounts later.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    you can't overdo it on the cheese. on the nuts, yes, you can go too much.
    I'll disagree with this only because some people can experience inflammation and other... unsavory reactions, when a specific threshold of dairy consumption has been met.

NINJA EDIT: Well that was convenient. See above!
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

dado Guest
    i forgot about this, this is my mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast