Thread: Guides on fermentation page

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member

Guides on fermentation

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have any? I have some beans that I'd like not to waste, and I feel like a good fermentation would get rid of enough of the the antinutrients. The problem is that I have no idea how to do this, as I have only ever fermented sauerkraut and yogurt. I have buttermilk, yogurt with live cultures, and even some yeast.

My instinct was to soak the beans at room temp in buttermilk mixed with some of the yogurt, but how long is enough and do I need to make the ferment open or sanitized and sealed? Or am I completely off? Any guides would be greatly appreciated.

In Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon speaks about sprouting beans grains and before using (not fermenting them) to counter antinutrients.

She instructs that you fill a Mason jar 1/3 with beans, and fill the rest with water, with a screen insert on top. Soak overnight (only 1 night), then drain the water. Rinse the beans well, then let the jar rest at an angle to continue to drain and to allow air circulation. Rinse every few hours (min. 2x dauly). All sprouts are ready in 1-4 days, but she specifies 3 days for beans. Sprouted beans can be stored for several days in the fridge, and when cooked will cook faster.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    In Nourishing Traditions, Fallon has a whole chapter dedicated to beans. Most you need to put in warm water and soak for 8-12 hours, depending on the bean. Then you cook them for 4-8 hours, adding water as needed and skimming off the foam, to make them digestible. Depending on the kind of bean, the soaking water might need an acid (Fallon suggests 1 tablespoon whey or lemon juice per 1 cup dry black beans).

It's a really great book if you're interested in detoxifying certain non primal foods or adding probiotics into your diet via fermented foods. It sounds like you'd enjoy it with your buttermilk, yogurt and yeasts!
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I've just been reading the Sally Fallon method, and she soaks them in water mixed with whey for about 7 hours, drains, rinses and then soaks again in water and whey, before cooking for hours.

I'm going to try this, as I have a fair bit of whey collected from kefir, but I'll cook the beans in a pressure cooker as I feel the extra heat will help degrade any remaining nasties more efficiently. (Also be a lot faster!!)

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I'm going to try this, as I have a fair bit of whey collected from kefir, but I'll cook the beans in a pressure cooker as I feel the extra heat will help degrade any remaining nasties more efficiently. (Also be a lot faster!!)
    I have a lot of kefir whey too -- I'm not a huge fan of straight kefir, but kefir cheese? NOM NOM NOM! I'm planning on using my whey to lacto pickle some veggies... the rest I'll probably add to soup or something for a nutrient boost.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I was hoping to ferment into something akin to tempeh or miso, but perhaps this is outside the scope of the home cook.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I was hoping to ferment into something akin to tempeh or miso, but perhaps this is outside the scope of the home cook.
    Depends on how good a home cook you are!!!!