Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Getting Beyond a Plateau page

Son of Grok is offline Junior Member

Help: Getting Beyond a Plateau

Shop Now
    I read The Primal Blueprint a few weeks after I was introduced to Cross Fit last April. By July 31st I had dropped 22 pounds (from 202 to 180 at 5' 10'' at age 37). I was totally pumped, getting more fit by the day and feeling better than I had since high school. With the weight off I was really getting excited to begin to get truly fit. In August I didn't lose anymore weight but my fitness level seemed to be improving.

Then came September and now October...I've learned more about diet and would consider myself "strict paleo" and really enjoying it. I workout 3 times per week with a mix of Cross Fit and Grokiing On (lifting heavy things and moving around). But I've actually starting going the other way weight wise. This morning I weighed myself for the first time in a month and was at 186. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated.

I expressed this to my wife and she did her best with "it must be muscle". Unfortunately, no. I think I've hit a plateau. Does anyone have any advice?

Grumpycakes is online now Senior Member
    I stopped eating nuts of all kinds and stopped adding fat to food, and it seems to be helping, although slowly. You may need more carbohydrate than strict paleo provides. I have regular potatoes and sweet potatoes a few times a week.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Grok View Post
    I read The Primal Blueprint a few weeks after I was introduced to Cross Fit last April. By July 31st I had dropped 22 pounds (from 202 to 180 at 5' 10'' at age 37). I was totally pumped, getting more fit by the day and feeling better than I had since high school. With the weight off I was really getting excited to begin to get truly fit. In August I didn't lose anymore weight but my fitness level seemed to be improving.

Then came September and now October...I've learned more about diet and would consider myself "strict paleo" and really enjoying it. I workout 3 times per week with a mix of Cross Fit and Grokiing On (lifting heavy things and moving around). But I've actually starting going the other way weight wise. This morning I weighed myself for the first time in a month and was at 186. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated.

I expressed this to my wife and she did her best with "it must be muscle". Unfortunately, no. I think I've hit a plateau. Does anyone have any advice?
    Here is your answer on how to break through that plateau:

1) No snacking between meals - EVER Eat NOTHING between dinner & going to bed
    2) LARGE protein Breakfast - NEVER skip breakfast - Breakfast must be your biggest meal of the day.
    - - If you feel hungry for snacks in the afternoon, then your breakfast was not big enough, then Increase the size of your breakfast
    3) You can skip lunch if you are not hungry. This is good & indicates your breakfast was just right.
    4) Limit carbs to less than 50 per day
    5) Eat LOTS of coconut oil at breakfast, lunch & dinner
    6) Eliminate desserts, substantially reduce fruit & nuts

Read the book, "Understanding Lepton" for more. I was into a 9 month plateau and when following these steps, I dropped 5 lbs below my plateau within 1 week, and my sleep improved substantially. Now my "Wheat Belly" is shrinking rapidly.

Grizz

dboxing is offline Senior Member

Eat less and less often.

Son of Grok is offline Junior Member
    Just the type of advice (and encouragement) I was looking for -- thanks! I'm not much of a carb counter. How do I do that?

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    First off... hang tight my friend... my first 40 lbs fell off.. now I hit what people call the whoosh and stall part.

I will be the same weight for a month and a half... then in 2 weeks loose 5-10 lbs then stall for a month and a half again.

also the big breakfast no snacking and get the carbs down helps. I find every stall of more than a few weeks a great time to relook at what I eat and make sure I am not slipping.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Just the type of advice (and encouragement) I was looking for -- thanks! I'm not much of a carb counter. How do I do that?
    Per my advice, you don't ever count calories or carbs. You can eat all the veggies & green leafy you want and stay well below 50 carbs.

Sorry, but eating less and less often is just going to put your body into "Starvation Mode" and it will refuse to burn any more fat. Worse, it will burn muscle & bone in order to preserve every fat cell, then as soon as you start eating normally, you will gain all that weight back again, and then some as your body prepares for the next "Starvation.". You cannot outsmart your metabolism.

Follow this special Paleo diet & your will succeed:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

Grizz

nuraan is offline Senior Member
    Hi Son of G, I started Intermittent Fasting (eating in an 8 hour window) this last two weeks and its helping - still early days so i'll see how it goes in the long run. I've been 65kg for months and lost a kg and some centimeters in the two weeks that i've done this. I've also cut out most dairy nuts dark chocolate and dried fruit but i do have some on my workout days if i feel the need. Good luck, i know that frustration when you feel like you've been doing everything right and nothing happens

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Per my advice, you don't ever count calories or carbs. You can eat all the veggies & green leafy you want and stay well below 50 carbs.

Sorry, but eating less and less often is just going to put your body into "Starvation Mode" and it will refuse to burn any more fat. Worse, it will burn muscle & bone in order to preserve every fat cell, then as soon as you start eating normally, you will gain all that weight back again, and then some as your body prepares for the next "Starvation.". You cannot outsmart your metabolism.

Follow this special Paleo diet & your will succeed:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

Grizz
    Any scientic evidence of "Starvation Mode" in fast under 72 hours? If missing one meal put folks into starvation mode, there would have been a lot of fat cave men. Why would your body refuse to burn fat for fuel? How does this make sense?

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Any scientic evidence of "Starvation Mode" in fast under 72 hours? If missing one meal put folks into starvation mode, there would have been a lot of fat cave men. Why would your body refuse to burn fat for fuel? How does this make sense?
    It's feasible if you haven't reset your leptin sensitivity, right? From what I understand, CW starvation mode is part myth and part side effect from being a sugar burner. If you're a fat burner it doesn't matter so much. That's kind of a guess thoguh, I'm a leptin n00b.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast