Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can throwing up mess up your stomach acid? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

can throwing up mess up your stomach acid?

Primal Fuel
    I recently had the stomach flu for about 2 weeks accompanied by stuffy nose and the like. I threw up a lot and could not really eat much for the last two weeks besides ginger ale and saltine crackers. When i tried to eat chicken and veggies, I would throw up right after. It is better but I still get the throw up feeling after I eat and now ever since throwing up so much and such , I have had a rumbling stomach and uneasy stomach. is this normal? I also am sore on my left rib cage. Could it be from throwing up so much and so hard? One day I threw up 7 times in a matter for ten minutes! Can all that vomiting upset your stomach balance or something? or is my body still trying to get over the stomach flu? i have not returned to eating normally. I am scared to eat now because I feel like I have to throw it up and now I just eat very little, introducing certain foods back slowly. I still have no real appetite either. Should I just eat broth or something? how do I stay hydrated? Sometimes even when I drink water, it makes me feel uneasy and like I am going to throw up still.

Also, I am still rather new to primal living and still need to get a hold of being more 100% in my ways, so I don't have the good immune system and tolerance or ability to not get sick as a lot of the primal peeps have, I'm working on it though! It has also messed up my sleeping as well. Now, I cannot seem to fall asleep until 4am every night. Everything got out of whack since I got this! Is there anything that can help repair my immune system after the stomach flu?
    Last edited by primalprincess7; 10-21-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I working on getting well after this last batch of yucky. It was not flu, more respiratory (unavoidable with my asthma) and my immune system is jacked and because of antibiotics my tummy is jacked too. You might try probiotics to repair your tummy.. thats what I am doing.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

it also includes a lot of burping too, maybe air is trapped in there as well from vomiting so much?

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    dunno.. I have the nauseous tummy.. but my body does not vomit- never has.. so I just suffer until it passes.. blech!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i had the stomach flu about 5 times a year, every year, as a kid. although my longest bout with it was 2.5 days, it was usually just 2 so i cringe in sympathy at your 2 weeks

your abdomen muscles get a short but intense workout every time you puke, that whole area being sore is normal. your stomach being weak and gurgly is normal til you're completely over it. the horrible burping, everything. your stomach will be sore for a few days afterwards, it basically punches itself inside out to get everything out of it. i HATE puking.

no appetite is normal while sick like that, your stomach is trying to keep whatever crap out and putting things back in makes it work more

so basically, sip SLOWLY on liquids. take however long it takes, and don't force yourself to eat unless you think it'll stay down
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Broth definitely sounds like a good idea to get decent nutrients as well as liquid in you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thank you all for the advice! It really helps. I was getting scared because I was throwing up so much and had pain after. It is getting better, thank God.

Ancient is offline Member
    Your ginger ale might not be so great for you. Especially if its the kind that has no ginger in it and is just HFCS. I would recommend just drinking water or freshly made real fruit juice if you feel like you need some kind of sugar. broth is good, veggie or chicken. Other then that, if you are hungry, just eat normally. If you are still barfy just make sure you are drinking a ton of water with whatever your eating. You may want to find an electrolyte replacement fluid if you are experiencing faintness or muscle spasms/cramps. I find that pickle juice is the best...don't laugh...I'm not kidding you. Or a tablespoon of vinegar. You can also eat a banana sliced up with some cream poured over the top for potassium (the cream will help your body better absorb the potassium). I always feel like crackers are rubbish. I suffered the most severe morning (all day long) sickness when I was pregnant with my son and a cracker never did anything for me except give me something of substance to throw up.

Paleobird Guest
    Coconut water is also a really good electrolyte replacement tool.

thanks! yeh I need to go get some but even when I drink water still, I get a sicky feeling. Maybe my body is still trying to get over it. I still have no appetite but will try to eat some beef and veggies later. I think I need the electrolytes for real, I am probably dehydrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast