Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid/pregnancy and 'off' numbers page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Thyroid/pregnancy and 'off' numbers

Primal Fuel
    Who has info? Got my results today for my TSH and free T4, both are low. I am 27 weeks pregnant. The T4 has been going progressively lower since getting pregnant in may it is down to .32. My TSH WAS going up, it was 1.62 in August and is now .13.

Maybe euthyroid sick syndrome? I take Armour so that seems less likely, but still possible. I am concerned that the T4 is too low for the baby's health.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There is a section on the website below about pregnancy and thyroid hormones. It sounds like pregnancy itself may make TSH difficult to interpret and your need for thyroid hormone will change quite a lot during pregnancy.

Pregnancy and Thyroid Disease Page - National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service

What Are The Normal TSH Ranges During Each Trimester of Pregnancy?

"Women who are on thyroid hormone replacement should plan to increase their dosage by 30% to 60% during the first few weeks of pregnancy, and ultimately are likely to need to have their thyroid hormone dosage increased by as much as 50% during pregnancy."

Right, which is why mine results are baffling. The TSH *should be going UP, not down. I am basically now 'hyperthyroid' instead of my normal 'hypo', except my T4 numbers would still say I am 'hypo'. Something is really not right. Since my TSH is VERY low the doctor will probably want to decrease my medication, but if he does then my T4 will just get lower!

sorry - I was thinking it was your total T4 that was dropping - not free. So I was attributing the dropping T4 to increased binding proteins. How is your free T3? Are you getting enough iodine?

Does your T4 fall into the normal range for pregnancy?

Interpretation of Thyroid Function Tests

No, the free T4 is too low for pregnancy, which is why I am concerned because that is the thing to most likely cause a problem for hte baby.

I am not sure I am getting enough iodine or not, so I will probably start supplementing that. I already supplement magnesium. I should add selenium too.

They have only tested my T3, and free T3 once last summer. I had to really push to have them check that too. I will ask him to do it now that my numbers are off, since it could show I am still not converting properly.

Any luck finding more answers, Nutmeg?

Not yet. Someone thought maybe my carbs are too low, but I have been staying above 125, so I am not ure I agree with that. My PCM has not called about it yet, which leads me to believe they are not as concerned as I am. At this point I am thinking I should try to get transferred to the OB clinic early. I have been readig about it and at this point in pregnancy the baby is making his/her own thyroid hormone, so the low free T4 is not as concerning. The low TSH free T4 combo from what I have read is either euthyroid sick syndrome or a pituitary problem. I am thinking it isn't the pituitary since I do have actual hypothyroid AND had anti-thyroid antibodies. The ESS seems to be a conversion problem so, it could possibly be too low on carbs.

This is just frustrating because it is so backwards. I don't like being special! I just want ot go quietly into labor, arrive at the hospital and be left alone to push out my baby. No complications needed. I have had my fair share in the past. I want to gestate in peace dammit!

Sweet Tart is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    Right, which is why mine results are baffling. The TSH *should be going UP, not down. I am basically now 'hyperthyroid' instead of my normal 'hypo', except my T4 numbers would still say I am 'hypo'. Something is really not right. Since my TSH is VERY low the doctor will probably want to decrease my medication, but if he does then my T4 will just get lower!
    The TSH is not a good lab to go by when you're on thyroid hormone. You really should have your free T3 and T4 tested to know where your available thyroid hormones are at. Check out the Stop the Thyroid Madness website or Mary Shoman's Thyroid.about.com.

TSH Why Its Useless | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tart View Post
    The TSH is not a good lab to go by when you're on thyroid hormone. You really should have your free T3 and T4 tested to know where your available thyroid hormones are at. Check out the Stop the Thyroid Madness website or Mary Shoman's Thyroid.about.com.

TSH – Why It’s Useless | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    I know this. Really. What I am saying is that my current numbers are backwards of just about everything and I need information specific to what MY body is doing right now. I am unable to find anything helpful on the internet, which is why I asked here. Even on thyroid hormone my TSH should NOT be in levels that show I am HYPERthyroid while have free T4 numbers that show I am HYPOthyroid. I have already searched the site you listed, nothing helpful...nor is there anything helpful on about.com.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How is your progesterone level? One of my clients was experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms postpartum and a small dose of Progesterone cream completely stopped her symptoms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast