Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk and children page

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member

Milk and children

Primal Fuel
    So, after going primal over a year ago, we cut out milk for my 2.5yo son. We wanted to avoid growth hormones, etc. He was 1.5 then. We started giving him almond milk. Usually twice a day. A few months back I read about the calcium supplements in this stuff and how it's really not even useable by the body, then the omega 6 from the almonds, so I switched to cocunut milk, the carton kind. Only 10% of the RDV calcium, and then fat. Other than that there's not much in it. I'm at the grocery store today, and I had the thought, "Why am I giving this to my kids?" Really, there is no reason at this point. What I have been doing is giving him a chunk of cheese in the morning and evening, thinking this will take care of the calcium requirements (we also eat alot of leafy greens too). From all of this, I ask a few questions. Do any of you give your kids milk? Dairy, almond, coconut? If not, how do you ensure they are getting enough calcium? Is it necessary to give kids milk at all? Will a healthy primal diet take care of all their needs, including calcium?

dado Guest
    milk is good for them to grow strong

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Is it really though? Or is it more conventional wisdom?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Human milk would be fine. But how often did man crawl under animals to suck on their boobs? Hopefully not too often.
    Nutritionally, vegetables and meats with fats are a complete diet. Greens contain plenty of calcium, as do fish bones (which come pre-cooked in the can and are easy to eat). I eat no dairy and never have any problem maxing out my calcium requirements and then some. But the coconut milk (if it's real, like aroy-d and not the "SO Delicious" or similar brand of white water) is a great source of raw calories from fat and is very anti-inflammatory, so there's no reason to stop offering it to your family.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    When my daughter weaned at 2.5 years old I decided to not have her drink cow's milk.I rotated between almond and hemp milk (usually store bought although I have made my own). When she was about 3.5 she decided that she didn't like ANY alternative milks and started asking for cow's milk that she had tried on occasion. Our co-op carries an all organic, non homoginized, vat pastuerized at low temp whole milk that we now buy her. It has a cream plug at the top which she LOVES. She also loves cottage cheese by the same brand as the milk and also pastured butter and organic raw cheeses. I too question if the milk is necessary but for now she has two small cups a day with no sign of allergies whatsoever. If she started showing any signs of allergic reaction or even behavioral problems I would cut it out.
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I do think that kids over the age of two can get all the calcium they need from meat and leafy greens. That said, sometimes my kids just want milk. Like, they practically beg for it in the grocery store. I buy it because they are telling me they need it. I probably buy a 1/2 gallon every couple of months. They never finish it. We do organic whole milk and sometimes I'll even let them drink some half-n-half. They LOVE that. We also use pastured butter and they have greek yogurt in a smoothie a couple of times a week.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Get a couple of goats. Fresh raw goat milk. Perfect!

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    See if you can find a source of raw cow or goat milk. I do goat milk myself. Closest thing to human milk without being human. RAw milk's really good for you too.
    Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't come from a mammal, it is juice, not milk. Please fix that firmly in your head. Almond juice. Coconut juice. Advertisers know full well how powerful the word "milk" is, and people are falling for it in droves. There is no sense even comparing milk to nut/seed/legume juice.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    My 1 year old is still breastfed but I have tried giving her cows milk on two occasions. The first was ordinary milk from the store and she reacted badly. A couple of months later (yesterday in fact) I tried her on local milk that hadn't been homogenised (raw milk is illegal here). She has't reacted to it but at the same time isn't really interested in drinking it and picks her water cup over her milk cup each time. I probably won't keep giving it to her. She gets more than enough calcium from her diet. She does love coconut milk though and will happily drink an entire cup of that. She also likes it set with gelatin as a kind of pudding. I don't give this to her as a calcium source though

My 6 year old follows a SAD and drinks milk all the time. She declared the local milk I bought yesterday to be the best milk she had ever tasted
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast