Thread: Sleep: A Mini-Rant page

Siren is offline Senior Member

Sleep: A Mini-Rant

Primal Fuel
    I work a 4/10, which means I work 4 days a week, but those days are 10 hours long (11 if you include my lunch hour). Since I have to be at work at 7am, I can't allow my brain to wake up on its own every day- otherwise I'd be out of a job. This means I pretty much have to wake up to an alarm at 5am... ick. I've tried going to bed earlier, hoping that my internal clock will set itself to wake me up on time, but so far it hasn't worked (I was late to work the one day I tried not setting my alarm). Does anyone else have this problem, and if so have you found a solution to it? Thanks in advance!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Check out these posts:
    17 Ways to Improve Your Sleep | Mark's Daily Apple
    How Light Affects Our Sleep | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, try to wake up around the same time on your days off. This helps me as much as anything else. Yeah, it's fun to party on the weekends, but it's awesome to not need an alarm clock to wake up too.

pktrainer is offline Junior Member
    I have to be up at 5 am every single morning Monday through Sunday for either work or cross fit and I've noticed that my body has started regulating itself to the change. While I normally get only 4 hours of sleep a night, I've noticed that at night I start to wind down a lot sooner and in the morning I usually wake up 5mins before my alarm and if I turn it off in my sleep I wake up anyway, which is awesome.
    For me the transition has just been from consistency in doing this, since I don't get to ever sleep in. It still sucks waking up but I know my body can and is adjusting to the crazy demands I put on it. I would just try and wake up earlier on your days off and do that for a while. I takes time to adjust though, for me its been about 2.5 months!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm typically up by 5:30 most mornings. What makes it easier is light. I got a timer and plugged my lamp into it so that it comes on automatically at 5:30. It's a much easier way to wake up. I still set an alarm for 15 minutes later, just in case, but I'm usually awake before I need the alarm.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    you could try one of those alarm lamps that comes on gradually (supposedly mimics daybreak)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    When I started the midnight shift I set a second alarm so I wouldn't worry about the first one. It sounds completely silly but I sleep better as a result. Until primal I needed the alarm, now I don't (I still set them) and I'm still waiting for an explanation of how this works for someone like me w/ no set schedule and often less sleep than I'd like.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Dim the lights in your house in the evening. Don't watch TV after dinner. Install this F.lux: software to make your life better on your computer if you are going to use it in the evening. Take a walk after dinner, without the iPod. When you go to bed, make your room as dark and quiet as possible.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    When I started the midnight shift I set a second alarm so I wouldn't worry about the first one. It sounds completely silly but I sleep better as a result. Until primal I needed the alarm, now I don't (I still set them) and I'm still waiting for an explanation of how this works for someone like me w/ no set schedule and often less sleep than I'd like.
    I find that the second alarm reduces my stress about sleeping through the first one, and I typically don't need the backup to wake up. Without the second alarm, I stress about oversleeping, and tend to sleep very poorly the whole night. I really only need this when something important is happening that is a major shift in my sleep pattern.