Thread: Advice on Primal / Leptin Reset / IF / Protein Shakes / My Lifestyle! page

CWayman is offline Junior Member

Advice on Primal / Leptin Reset / IF / Protein Shakes / My Lifestyle!

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this whole Primal thing but I have to say I'm loving it and the community involved with it looks a vibrant and happy one! In a nut shell I went primal as I quit smoking 11 weeks ago and instead of spending money on cigarettes I've been spending money on a personal trainer. He mentioned Paleo and eventually I've come onto Primal and found this site. Currently I'm 162lbs and I have some definition, I'm not really looking at being Primal from a weight loss perspective but more a healthy mind / healthy body perspective and increased energy!

I've been doing a lot of reading and two things I would like to consider are IF and Leptin Reset. I've been having protein shakes in the morning and then another in the evening as a desert on none work out days (hmm chocolate shake!) or after a workout / badminton.

And over the last 3 weeks i've (unknowingly) met the criteria for Leptin reset:

Eat 50g of protein (little to no carbs) within 30 minutes of waking
    Limit carbs to 50g a day
    Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking especially past 7:30pm

The above is how i've gone about starting to be Primal, so it looks like I'm on course for being 'LS?'. I'm mainly getting my huge protein intake from a shake in the morning. What do people think about this? Is it a good way or should I try and get my protein from food instead? a shake gives me 40g and I have a few hard boiled eggs too.

Aside from going to the gym I also play a lot of badminton, 2-3 times a week, generally in the evenings 7-10pm. I've been thinking about doing a PWO IF after this, maybe having a protein shake after exercise and then going on a fast until lunchtime the next day which would be roughly 16 hours or so, because of my lifestyle this is achievable 2-3 times a week which seems to be a nice midway point between once and week and everyday. Again, i'm not sure whether I should be eating at this time too, if I'm thinking about fasting I should probably eat something more than just a shake is my feeling?

If I'm essentially doing a Leptin Reset, should I even be thinking about IF at all until the 6-8 week reset period is over?

Because I finish badminton around 10pm-ish I will be eating quite late by the time I get home, 10:30-11ish and will be eating quite close to the time I would be going to bed. What do people thinking about eating right before bed, I've been told it's a bad habit, but then again since going Primal and doing a lot of reading a lot of the thing's i've come to know over the years are bad habits!!

I know I have a lot of questions in there, it's more of a brain dump but any answers or thoughts from the community would be appreciated!

GROK ON!

-Craig.

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    The Leptin Reset program is not an arbitrary thing people just do because they want to lose weight, or something. It is designed for people possibly suffering from leptin resistance, which has been defined by Dr Kruse (among others) as having a very specific set of symptoms, some of which require blood work to assess. If you do not have these symptoms then there is really no point to it.

Just do what works for you. If you like eating 3 meals a day and no snacking then that is good. If you like skipping breakfast then that is fine, too. The most basic thing to do is simply eat when hungry, stop when full. If you are otherwise metabolically normal, and I suspect you are, there are no good reasons to complicate the system unless you are trying to look like Skeletor, err, I mean, get "super lean and ripped, bro."

Take 'er easy.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    If you're curious about the Leptin Reset, I would spend some time on Dr. Kruse's website. After spending a lot of time pouring through his site (there's a lot there!), I'm almost 100% certain that I'm LR. He says it will take 6 - 8 weeks to become leptin sensitive again. I'm just starting to follow his program, and I'm continuing to educate myself about leptin.

Now - he does say that he doesn't support IF for folks who are LR. He says it's a great approach if you're already LS. I've tried IF and it never worked for me, which makes sense if I am LR. I plan to try it again but will wait until I've followed the leptin reset for a while.

I know there's lots of folks in this community that drink various brands and varieties of protein shakes. I'm not a fan of them - too many manufacturered ingredients, etc. I would prefer to eat healthy, whole foods, but that's just my .02.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CWayman View Post
    Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this whole Primal thing but I have to say I'm loving it and the community involved with it looks a vibrant and happy one! In a nut shell I went primal as I quit smoking 11 weeks ago and instead of spending money on cigarettes I've been spending money on a personal trainer. He mentioned Paleo and eventually I've come onto Primal and found this site. Currently I'm 162lbs and I have some definition, I'm not really looking at being Primal from a weight loss perspective but more a healthy mind / healthy body perspective and increased energy!

I've been doing a lot of reading and two things I would like to consider are IF and Leptin Reset. I've been having protein shakes in the morning and then another in the evening as a desert on none work out days (hmm chocolate shake!) or after a workout / badminton.

And over the last 3 weeks i've (unknowingly) met the criteria for Leptin reset:

Eat 50g of protein (little to no carbs) within 30 minutes of waking
    Limit carbs to 50g a day
    Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking especially past 7:30pm

The above is how i've gone about starting to be Primal, so it looks like I'm on course for being 'LS?'. I'm mainly getting my huge protein intake from a shake in the morning. What do people think about this? Is it a good way or should I try and get my protein from food instead? a shake gives me 40g and I have a few hard boiled eggs too.

Aside from going to the gym I also play a lot of badminton, 2-3 times a week, generally in the evenings 7-10pm. I've been thinking about doing a PWO IF after this, maybe having a protein shake after exercise and then going on a fast until lunchtime the next day which would be roughly 16 hours or so, because of my lifestyle this is achievable 2-3 times a week which seems to be a nice midway point between once and week and everyday. Again, i'm not sure whether I should be eating at this time too, if I'm thinking about fasting I should probably eat something more than just a shake is my feeling?

If I'm essentially doing a Leptin Reset, should I even be thinking about IF at all until the 6-8 week reset period is over?

Because I finish badminton around 10pm-ish I will be eating quite late by the time I get home, 10:30-11ish and will be eating quite close to the time I would be going to bed. What do people thinking about eating right before bed, I've been told it's a bad habit, but then again since going Primal and doing a lot of reading a lot of the thing's i've come to know over the years are bad habits!!

I know I have a lot of questions in there, it's more of a brain dump but any answers or thoughts from the community would be appreciated!

GROK ON!

-Craig.
    hello and welcome

1)get real food for meals, use shakes for supplementation
    2)Eating before bed is perfectly fine unless you have digestion issues.
    3)Mark has experimented with IF himself

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

but it seems like an occasional thing for him. Try out IF for a day or two to see how you fair.
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 10-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make sure you're actually LR before doing a reset, no point unless your actually resistant. I agree about reading up on the site, that way you can assess if you really need to do it.