Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexplained rash?? page

mrsgp101310 is offline Member

Unexplained rash??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've been primal for 3 weeks now and doing great, no problems at all. Last night I noticed a small welt at my hairline after I got out of the shower, thought nothing of it. This morning I got up and my left eye was almost swollen shut, thought it kinda odd. Both my palms were itching like crazy while I was getting ready for work and bright red, couldn't quit rubbing/scratching them for about an hour. Went to get dressed and noticed I had large, splotchy, bright red welts on both my upper thighs. Nowhere else really (yet), except for large red patches under both arms. The only thing I've done differently is with fish oil. I've taken fish oil for about a year now, 1000 mg. After reading about ratio's this week, I decided to start taking 2/day. I did that on Tuesday (took 2) but forgot yesterday and only took my usual 1. Do y'all think 1 extra dose of fish oil would do this? My skin is not very sensitive at all and the only rash (aside from poison ivy and shingles) I've gotten in probably 5 yrs was from an antiobiotic with sulfa in it. Not quite sure what could be causing this...Any ideas?

dado Guest
    put some lotion on it

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You can break open a capsule and try putting some of the liquid (only a little in case you really are allergic!) on your skin to see if you have a reaction. Supposedly it's possible to randomly develop allergies but usually it's attributed to some environmental factor. Are you taking the same brand of fish oil as you used to? When did you start this bottle? It could be a bad batch... but that's an odd reaction.

Or eat some fish and see if you're allergic now!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    put some lotion on it
    Windex. Put some Windex on it.

Seriously, though, it could be any number of things. I would suspect the fish oil. New shampoo? New laudry detergent? Sometimes they even change the ingredients in your same ole shampoo and laundry detergent. I would see a dermatologist. It never ceases to amaze me the way they can just look at your skin and tell you what's going on.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    Windex. Put some Windex on it.

Seriously, though, it could be any number of things. I would suspect the fish oil. New shampoo? New laudry detergent? Sometimes they even change the ingredients in your same ole shampoo and laundry detergent. I would see a dermatologist. It never ceases to amaze me the way they can just look at your skin and tell you what's going on.
    You know what a dermatologist would tell her?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Agreed on dermatologist, but do some research on your own first. From personal experience, they don't always get it right. I had to insist that my dermatologist do a scraping to test these spots I had because he thought they would just be improved by sunlight & vitamin D (a form of psoriasis) but a former dermatologist had told me it was a fungus and their treatment worked on it. He took a scraping and said it was "full of fungus"! :-P
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    It would be pretty easy to figure out if it's the fish oil. Sit down and take a few deep breaths and then get your pulse for a full minute. Put some of the oil on your tongue (don't swallow) and after about 30 seconds, take your pulse again. If it goes up 6 or more beats, definitely an allergy.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^Agreed on dermatologist, but do some research on your own first. From personal experience, they don't always get it right. I had to insist that my dermatologist do a scraping to test these spots I had because he thought they would just be improved by sunlight & vitamin D (a form of psoriasis) but a former dermatologist had told me it was a fungus and their treatment worked on it. He took a scraping and said it was "full of fungus"! :-P
    You're right. It is going to depend on the dermatologist, but I would still see one if I had welts all over and my eye was swollen shut. No way I am going to try to self-diagnose. I've only needed a dermatologist once, but my mom has to go all the time. I saw one when I returned from Africa with a weird rash that everyone around me was certain was ringworm or some crazy african disease. The dermatologist said, "Get rid of dryer sheets." He was right. No weird pills to swallow or anything. My mom's has a knack for looking at all of her spots and telling her exactly what the result are going to be from the biopsies. He's never wrong. Never. It's amazing.

mrsgp101310 is offline Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! To answer some of the questions-
    Same brand and not a new bottle, about halfway through it.
    Haven't changed shampoo, detergent, nothing of the sort.
    I took some Benadryl this morning and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse since this am...
    No ins, so dont wanna go to the derm if I can help it...I may try the skin test or put some on my tongue when I get home as I don't have any here at work with me. Thanks all

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgp101310 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! To answer some of the questions-
    Same brand and not a new bottle, about halfway through it.
    Haven't changed shampoo, detergent, nothing of the sort.
    I took some Benadryl this morning and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse since this am...
    No ins, so dont wanna go to the derm if I can help it...I may try the skin test or put some on my tongue when I get home as I don't have any here at work with me. Thanks all
    Out of curiosity, did it get any better with the Benadryl, or did it just not get worse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast