Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injury in left shoulder page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Injury in left shoulder

I've sustained an injury, or should I say a 'twinge' in my right shoulder. I have been waiting almost 3 weeks now for it to 'sod off', but to be honest, it's no better. It can be best explained...when I raise my arms in a 'lat raise' position, or any arm movement, where the arm traverses behind my back, or if I'm standing and i'm miming a wall-pressup movment, the shoulder communicates that something is still twinging there. I'm no sport physician, but I think it's one of my deltoids.

I discovered this twinge, funny enough, after a 3 day weekend and coming back to weights on the monday. I knew as I was warming up something was wrong. 3 weeks later here I am, no better. I said I was going to give it til Christmas, but I am getting the workout shakes, and I want to know how I can help the process?

I would understand if I've been dumb with the weights, or have been practicing bad form, but this was not sustained after a workout/exercuse, but this is something out the blue!

What on earth could it be? Sleeping position?

edit: right shoulder Title is wrong.

dado Guest
    shit, bolivar, that sucks.

if you've read my http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40314.html injury thread, you'll see that an injury is not fun, and that i feel your pain right now.

but the good news is that my knee feels much, MUCh better today, so i think i'll be okay.

for you, it doesn't look so good. three weeks is a long time now, i suggest some more rest and you should consider sleeping position, this is a great point.

try to fall asleep on your back.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Bolivar,

I think you have the same injury I had. It felt like something deep inside one of the deltoids, and it ached. What happened to me is that it stayed pretty bad for ~3 months, then slowly got better. It took about 7 months (three weeks ago) before the last of the residual pain went away. I was, however, able to lift (carefully) with the injury without aggravating it. I would recommend very slow shoulder stretches, as well, to help reduce pain.

--Me

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a tad better, still a tad tetchy when I do a 'lat raise' movement. I will give it til Xmas and hope for the best.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your rotator cuff.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    This sounds almost exactly like what I've had going on in my left shoulder this year. I attribute it to either the bench press or shoulder press while doing Starting Strength earlier this year. What helped me was I stopped Starting Strength and took an entire month off from weight lifting. It's much better now. I can still feel it there occasionally but there's no longer pain or discomfort.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    check out mobility work out of the day (mobilitywod.com i think). the position of the shoulder when doing certain movements can create these sorts of problems,a nd his web site and information is AMAZING for preventing and healing these sorts of issues.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Seated rear delt raises. Side delt raises. Front delt raises. Use light weight dumbells, slow movement, good straight arms for form. Delts are small muscles. It's easy to blast them with upright rows and overhead presses. Behind the head overhead presses will really blast them. Even bad shoulder slumped forward posture will hurt them. They need strengthend. Use light dumbells or bands and keep working them. My experience has been not moving and babying it will only make it stiffen worse and hurt more to move.

Thunderchild is offline Member
    I hurt my left shoulder in July on vacation. I also thought it would get better with time. It did clear up a little. I went to my doctor to have it checked out and found out I had a full tear in my RC. Just had surgery 4 weeks ago and I am just getting ready to come out of the sling in a week. 5 month's of PT and around a year to get totally back to normal. HAVE YOURSELF CHECKED BY YOUR DOCTOR!!! It could be worse than you think...

Just sayin'

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Head to a physio and get an ultrasound, they'll tell you straight away what the problem is. Happened to me after a mountain bike crash, after 2 trips 2 hospital and 2 to the doctor where they told me it was inflamed, I went to pyhsio who was able to tell me I had torn my rotator cuff in 2 places, and also needed shoulder stabilisation surgery. 3 screws later and i'm all better.

Hopefull yours is something simple!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast