Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad? page 7

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I dunno. I've worked in hospitals and seen a lot of people die young from smoking. Even put a 32 year old, heavy smoking ICU nurse in the fridge. Imagine that, 32, 3 kids and a beautiful wife, you have breathing difficulties and 2 weeks later you're dead from lung cancer. Sure there are plenty of people who live a little longer (I don't consider 60, 70, or 80 a good amount of time to be alive, I want way longer than that) but for every smoker who hits 80 there are thousands who didn't.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Even if smoking wasn't bad for you..... just think of it this way.

Smoke cigarettes? THEN YOU STINK.
    There are no exceptions. You reek of cigarettes and it is NOT a pleasant smell and rubs off on whatever you come in contact with. If you smoke inside your home, ALL of your belongings are going to stink to high heaven for years after. I should know b/c my husband and I used to smoke and some of the stuff we still have from then just smells awful and is discolored b/c of it.
    I love my brother and his wife, but I hate it when they come to our house or get in my car b/c the smell lingers for days.

Anyway.. when I did smoke, I used to get chest colds ALL the time that used to last for months. I would keep my husband (then boyfriend) up all night long b/c I had uncontrollable coughing fits. And what do ya know.. since I stopped smoking all of those years ago, I haven't had a single chest cold since.
    My brother and his wife also smoke, and smoke around their 2 children. Both of their kids are ALWAYS sick and I know it's b/c of the smoking.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    A rite of passage eh? Like how genital mutilation is also a rite of passage in some cultures?

Glad I didn't grow up in either culture.

Unfortunately I did grow up in a culture that promoted low-fat, grain-based foods.
    It still is in the US. That "rite of passage" being "birth".
    ~Sandy

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I say smoke as much as you want...

...no actually I don't say that.

I say smoke MORE THAN YOU WANT.

A LOT MORE.

Smoke a lot. Lots of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookas, bongs, anything really. And get into snuff, chewing tobacco, dip, um...what else have you got?

Smoke, smoke, smoke! And then smoke some more.

The more you smoke the happier the Gods of Murder are.

Encourage your friends to smoke. Encourage strangers to smoke. Encourage children to smoke. Smoke while chewing nicotine gum, and using a patch!

Oddly enough, when I go on like this to many of my friends who are smokers they get really upset and offended. Almost enraged.

I still encourage smoking in others though.

Have several 2 liters of diet coke while you're at it... the HFCS in regular coke may or may not kill you faster, but diet coke is so unnatural that I just assume that it is a gift from the Old Ones.

Tomtom is offline Junior Member
    I want to quit... I have tried to quit... If you have never been physically and psychologically addicted to a drug before then you really have no clue what you are talking about.

For those who have been "really" addicted and found a way to quit. Please tell me what you did because I would love to know. If you say I just stopped smoking one day, end of story, then you were not physically addicted and you don't count.
    Thanks for any advice on this.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    I want to quit... I have tried to quit... If you have never been physically and psychologically addicted to a drug before then you really have no clue what you are talking about.

For those who have been "really" addicted and found a way to quit. Please tell me what you did because I would love to know. If you say I just stopped smoking one day, end of story, then you were not physically addicted and you don't count.
    I joined an online support forum, which really helped with accountability and finding other people who could relate to what I was experiencing and celebrate my milestones with me (even if that was just the first day smoke free). I used the patch for a while (but not as long as they say people need to). I also figured out why I was smoking--I had quit a few times before, but it never really stuck until I looked at the underlying cause for the behaviour and dealt with the things that triggered it. Learning to identify as a non-smoker was a big thing--I had to stop thinking of myself as someone who smoked cigarettes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i have known 2 people who have just QUIT, like night and day. Having never smoked, I can't identify with it and i have no idea HOW they did it, all i know is that they did. Just like that. No patches, etc.

One was my SIL, who quit the day she found out she was pregnant. The other was a guy i worked with; i really never saw him eat, ever. He lived on nicotine. Then one day after months of not seeing him, i noticed he was getting a little portly. He said he just decided one day he wasn't going to smoke any more and bam. He stopped.

i think that part Owly said about not identifying as a smoker any more is probably key. That would probably help me a lot to QUIT DRINKING so much!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post

I quit cold turkey, but I had to virtually lock myself in my bedroom for two weeks. I just basically considered it like having a very serious illness which incapacitates you for a couple of weeks. You might have to forego any weight loss goals you might have during this time. Weeks three and four are a lot easier to deal with.

Today I have no fear of the cigarette or of picking the habit back up again. I smoke about 1/2 a cig. every 3-4 months because I have a friend I see every once in a while and I have a smoke with him out of tradition.

MissChriss is offline Senior Member
    I know that smoking, all tobacco products, wreak havoc on my patients gums and teeth. I send patients to an oral surgeon way too often because of lesions that need testing for cancer. Patients that smoke have much higher dental bills due to periodontal disease and decay, many have other poor habits that go with the smoking which contribute to these and many more problems. Having said that I still believe it is an individuals right to purchase and smoke if they wish. Our culture treats smokers like lepers and that's not right either. I'm for the fact that smoking is not permitted in public buildings here in Ohio but I feel it's wrong that some businesses ban smoking in their parking lot, even if you are in your own car.

Nthing Paleobird and the others who say that some of the responses here are pure horsehsit, and that's an insult to horseshit, which has a value to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    look you gotta strike a balance between destructive behavior and value adding behavior.

destructive behaviors, they are the spice of life. but you can't have too many otherwise your life goes to garbage.

smoking, this is a cultural thing, it's a rite of passage.

a boy cannot become a man unless he has smoked at least 5 packs of cigarettes
    If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. This is the type of bullshit tobacco companies want you to believe. You're cool, you're glamorous, you're a "man."

Since they can't legally or officially peddle that kind of crap to people under a certain age in the U.S., they target minors overseas. After all, they've got 'em hooked, they'll keep buying their crap. Keeping at this process gives them a continually renewing customer base, as the diseased customers die off.

My now ex-boyfriend walked after I strongly expressed my concern about his use. This is a good thing because he ignored other concerns that I had, too. The respect just wasn't there. My place finally doesn't smell anymore.

If peer pressure caused you to start, then use peer pressure to help you quit: tell everybody and his dog you're quitting and encourage them to kick you in the ass if you start up again. Throw away matches, lighters, cigarettes, ashtrays and anything else related to tobacco use. Make it so that you dont find yourself with a cigarette in your hand, wondering how it got there. Make it expensive if you want to start back up again and have to buy all the tools and supplies to make that happen. Replace that bad habit with a good habit. Do 10 pushups when you want a cigarette.

There are also patches, and gum, and other aids to help with quitting. I say as one who quit cold-turkey when none of those aids were available.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast