Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad? page 19

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Docjoe View Post
    Well I just lost a 48 year old mom and wife to lung cancer last month. She desperately wanted to see her daughter graduate from high school but didn't make it.

Besides dust and ash, there remains a sad young woman who's mom won't be around to see her get married or meet her kids.

She didn't do much pillaging or conquering in her life but I'm sure if she could go back in time, she would have told her teenage self how lighting up that first cigarette would someday take so much away from her.
    I am sorry for your loss.

Suppose she died in an automobile accident. Would you feel different now?
    Few but ripe.

Docjoe is offline Junior Member
    I think we are probably making different points here. It sounds like the point you are making is that human life has no particular value and therefore spending time on activities to extend it (or educating the public about ways to extend it) are not worthwhile. My career is based on helping people extend the length and quality of their lives. Based on that, yeah, I think cigarettes are bad. If ones philosophy is that you're born, you die and who gives a crap about the details or those you leave behind then sure, light up.

In regards to how would I have felt about a loved one who died in a car accident? I would be devastated either way. And if that had been preventable (like wearing a seat belt) I would have wanted them to take that step so that they didn't die.

Again, I'm not making the argument that you are a bad person if you choose to smoke. I am saying that you are delusional if you are making the argument that doing so is not bad for your health.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    When I was showed in school, as a kid, what a heavy smokers lung compared to a non-smokers lung look like (black vs pink) i decided never to start smoking. I'm glad about my decision, because people seem to get addicted to that crap and have a real hard time stopping. There is also enough pollution in the World... why create more smoke?

But do any of you know why a lot of smokers generally are slim, and then when they stop smoking many of them gain weight? Is it because cigarettes suppresses appetite or because it speeds up metabolism or what..?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    If I ever take up smoking again, it certainly won't be cigarettes.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Smoking's not that bad. It's lugging around the oxygen tank that gets tedious.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Wuchagonnado is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post

But do any of you know why a lot of smokers generally are slim, and then when they stop smoking many of them gain weight? Is it because cigarettes suppresses appetite or because it speeds up metabolism or what..?
    Yes, smoking suppresses a person's appetite and when they quit you're used to having something in your mouth/the action of smoking so a lot of people replace that action with some sort of snack. We can probably assume most people don't replace cigs with healthy snacks.

Also I would go as far as saying most of the danger from tobacco now-a-days is from all of the additives companies place into cigarettes....it's not so much tobaccos fault (I'm not saying tobacco is healthy/not dangerous). It takes time but your body will reverse SOME of the effects of cigarette smoking.

mantra is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    I don't know all of the science behind it, but I definitely noticed a difference when I smoked. I'd guess that it's some combination of the nicotine itself (stimulants often blunt appetite), your perception of the benefits of smoking (if you smoke to calm yourself down, you're probably not going to stress-eat), and other behavioural aspects. Quitting smoking also completely destroyed my perception of hunger and eating, but I don't think it's purely a physiological response to nicotine. Quitting is stressful, so it's easy to stress-eat. Food becomes a substitute for 'having something in your hand and putting it in your mouth.'

I was a smoker for over ten years. I used to be militant about smoker's rights. I thought I experienced very few harms of smoking...then everything feel apart: terrible chronic sinus and lung infections, zero lung function, terrible skin, and other fun stuff. It was a choice between quitting smoking and healing, or coughing up bloody phlegm chunks every morning and being stuck in bed for a week every other month. But you know what? Now that I haven't smoked for several months, I realize how deeply I was lying to myself about the effects of smoking--not just the effects on my own health, but also the social effects on my relationships and friendships.

I completely agree with Docjoe on quality versus quantity of years lived. I think there's a pretty significant difference between being alive and living well. And I certainly feel that if you're going to be kicking around this planet, it's better to be engaged and active than tied to an oxygen machine.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    I am sorry for your loss.

Suppose she died in an automobile accident. Would you feel different now?
    How shallow.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    It's not that black and white. All my grandparents smoked since they were teens and my great grandpa lived until his 90s
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    How shallow.
    I am also considered heartless by many including close family members.

For example, every time i kiss my beautiful young boy, i silently contemplate he may die the next day. That bit of advice is from Epictetus and it helps me savour every moment I am with my child.
    Few but ripe.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast