Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad? page 18

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like "Your rights end where my feelings begin". If you feel that way, you should do as said a few posts up.

You need to look harder. Here are examples: superoxide dismutase was being touted as an elixir of eternal life a few years ago(crazy, I know), but smoking doubles superoxide dismutase: Selective increase of antioxidant enzyme a... [Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI

There are others, too.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Abstract
    Oxidants from cigarette smoke or those produced by phagocytes are implicated in the pathogenesis of emphysema. We reasoned that augmentation of antioxidant enzymes in cigarette smokers may be important in restricting direct and indirect oxidant damage to alveolar structures. ......This augmented activity may serve as a mechanism to limit oxidant-mediated damage to alveolar structures.

All this is saying is that antioxidants kick in to try to repair the oxidative damage done by the smoking. How does that make it harmless? The fact that the body needs to fight back like this shows that it is harmful.

Calling someone's argument "emotional" is a really lame method of trying to discredit it. Yes, I am rather emotionally attached to breathing. And yes, I get emotional (pissed off) when someone who choses to pollute their own lungs thinks it's OK to pollute mine as well. It's not. Yes, I'm "emotionally" invested in not dying from cancer.

You don't care if you die young. I do.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If I ever should try smoking within my life time, I probably would start with a big fat Havana cigar...
    Don't.

Start with something likely to put you off smoking!

A mate came back from Cuba loaded down with Cohibas...well a pack of Hamlet just isn't going to cut it after an introduction to cigars like that

I hadn't had a cigarette in YEARS but enjoyed smoking a Cuban as intended (No inhaling)

Expensive wonderful bastard things.

Docjoe is offline Junior Member
    Interesting topic. I'm an oncologist and I specialize in treating lung cancer. If you would spend a week with me and see the patients that I treat, any doubt that cigarettes are bad for you I think would quickly disappear. Yes, my experience is anecdotal. But 15 years of treating smokers dying of lung cancer has seemed like a trend to me.

Now having said that, I would staunchly defend the rights of anyone who chooses to smoke and don't think it should be banned. You could cynically say that it would be bad for my business if smoking went away but I do think that adults should have the right to make bad decisions for themselves (like eating junk food, being really obese, destroying their livers with alcohol, etc). But suggesting that cigarettes have no harmful effects? That get's into "the holocaust never happened" territory with me and I don't think we could find any common ground to have that discussion.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Docjoe View Post
    Interesting topic. I'm an oncologist and I specialize in treating lung cancer. If you would spend a week with me and see the patients that I treat, any doubt that cigarettes are bad for you I think would quickly disappear. Yes, my experience is anecdotal. But 15 years of treating smokers dying of lung cancer has seemed like a trend to me.

Now having said that, I would staunchly defend the rights of anyone who chooses to smoke and don't think it should be banned. You could cynically say that it would be bad for my business if smoking went away but I do think that adults should have the right to make bad decisions for themselves (like eating junk food, being really obese, destroying their livers with alcohol, etc). But suggesting that cigarettes have no harmful effects? That get's into "the holocaust never happened" territory with me and I don't think we could find any common ground to have that discussion.
    Please stick around and keep posting. This forum could use more scientifically grounded people such as yourself.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i used to smoke. it started with the usual 'here try this!' with friends at 14, didn't really get hooked so i guess i was a social teen smoker and it went on through turning into smoking reds one after the other while stressed during a hideous relationship

i quit after my grandpa died. i mean literally, after the funeral. he was a long-time smoker that had developed lung cancer that spread throughout his body by the time it was found. bones, brain, everywhere. one day he was my usual grandpa, napping while everyone was talking around him or singing to the grandbabies with an arm pain that was bugging him. a few weeks later he was completely wasted away and glassy eyed with pain, paralyzed with pain, staring in the corner and panting like a dog with pain and he died right when the hospital people said he would

so i DO think cigarettes are that bad. it's not just tobacco, there are all kinds of nasty crap added in them and i'm pretty sure the crap has a good deal to do with cancer

i don't care if (general)you smokes, but i really don't want to be around it. the smell now makes me stomach and head hurt, and i've never been a fan of cigarette flavored kisses. but if i could get away with breaking all my relatives' cigs every time they bought a new pack, i would trample their civil rights like godzilla

god-zil-la
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    What is young? Everybody dies young. And once you are dead, very soon nothing remains of you in this world. Give or take a couple of generations, all gone without a trace.

It is sad to see people kicking and screaming, leading miserable, nit-picking lives, obsessing over pursuit of pleasure and avoiding of pain as evil only to die and reduce to dust. There were once mighty warriors and emperors who laid waste to whole towns as a matter of fact and no trace of them remains today.

</end rant>
    Few but ripe.

Docjoe is offline Junior Member
    Well I just lost a 48 year old mom and wife to lung cancer last month. She desperately wanted to see her daughter graduate from high school but didn't make it.

Besides dust and ash, there remains a sad young woman who's mom won't be around to see her get married or meet her kids.

She didn't do much pillaging or conquering in her life but I'm sure if she could go back in time, she would have told her teenage self how lighting up that first cigarette would someday take so much away from her.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    When I was in 5th grade, my teacher did an anti-smoking schtick for a while (we had one every year) and cited life expectancy. I raised my hand and legitimately asked, "How do the doctors know when I am going to die?" No answer
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lkts of people dying while someone took note
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast