Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad? page 17

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I count Cuban cigars as part of my 20%.

If I wasn't skint, I'd be be enjoying one right now.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Funny, father of modern scientific statistics R.A. Fisher, after pouring over various statistical anomalies of the antismoking data, found it didn't quite add up.

Fisher's Smoking: The Cancer Controversy

Let's get it out of the way:

"B-but he smokes!"
    "B-but he works as a tobacco consultant"

Refute the work, not attack the character based on emotions. If anything, explain how, the Surgeon General is correct, with all its correlation = causation sleight of hand tricks, because they don't add up.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Pointing out the fact that someone works as a tobacco consultant is not an emotional argument not is it an attack on anyone's character. It is just pointing out bias that could affect the data. If a study is funded by Phillip Morris, do you really think it is ever going to say that smoking is bad for you?

Ranting on about the nanny state infringing upon my god given right to pollute my lungs and those of others around me, now that is an emotional argument.

Let's see some real science, not Libertarian Op-ed pieces.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-14-2013 at 01:41 PM.

No, but if a study is funded by the American Lung Association or Surgeon General I'm going to trust it even less. I have a vehement opposition towards conventional wisdom, that borders on seething hatred, and will do everything exactly the opposite as what they claim is true.

"Science is not always a neutral, disinterested search for knowledge, although it may often seem that way to the outsider. Sometimes the story can be very different."
    nihil

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    I count Cuban cigars as part of my 20%.

If I wasn't skint, I'd be be enjoying one right now.
    If I ever should try smoking within my life time, I probably would start with a big fat Havana cigar...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ranting on about the nanny state infringing upon my god given right to pollute my lungs and those of others around me, now that is an emotional argument.

Let's see some real science, not Libertarian Op-ed pieces.
    Perhaps you should go and complain about that same nanny state putting up industrial chem plants, and using coal, or stand in the street protesting everyone using diesel gas cars, or tear down a BBQ, because all of these things are proven worse. Maybe go burn down a mono-crop while you're at it too.

The Libertarians are the only non-hypocritical bunch.

Here, you can go sift through everything here if you're genuinely interested:

self-medication tobacco - Google Scholar

Then piece together apparent paradoxes between epidemiological and experimental facts.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    I really don't want to get into a political debate. That way lies Hitler ponies.

All I said was Op-ed pieces by smokers who feel oppressed are not scientific evidence of anything.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I have a vehement opposition towards conventional wisdom, that borders on seething hatred, and will do everything exactly the opposite as what they claim is true.
    Then you should be eating Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I really don't want to get into a political debate. That way lies Hitler ponies.

All I said was Op-ed pieces by smokers who feel oppressed are not scientific evidence of anything.
    Well, there is plenty to look through:

self-medication tobacco - Google Scholar

Do you think smoking should be banned?

Then you should be eating Primal.
    I do, mostly. Only difference is I drink some coke, and eat sugar, both of which CW claims is bad for you based on more lies akin to the same junk science used to vilify dietary cholesterol and salt.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, I don't think it should be banned. People do have the right to commit slow suicide if they want. But your "right" to smoke stops where my right to breathe starts.

And that google scholar list is just a long list of papers saying that nicotine can have a calming effect in people with some mental disorders. Of course it can. It's a depressant. So?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast