Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Is smoking cigarettes THAT bad? page 12

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Desi Ramone View Post
    not sure if anyone mentioned this, but commercially produced tobacco contains radioactive lead and polonium which are residuals from synthetic fertilizers. this info is readily available on the EPA website, but not mentioned on cigarette packaging. nicotine itself is also a neurotoxin that can be used as a pesticide, and is a known carcinogen. i don't recommend it.
    There have actually been some interesting studies (no I don't care to find them) that showed that rats given nicotine recovered more quickly from acute injury than rats who were given none. I haven't ever come across anything about nicotine being a neurotoxin, but I'm sure that there are other things in cigarettes that are (carbon monoxide comes to mind, although I'm not sure that actually gets into the brain
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

allymd is offline Junior Member
    I'm a Thoracic surgeon, which means that after years of you putting the cancer stick to your mouth and soaking up pure toxin into your lungs KNOWING full well the danger, you get to stroll into my office and ask for me to surgically cure you. There are fewer disgusting habits than this and nothing upsets me more than the person with cancer who is still smoking up to the day of their operation. Sorry about the rant, but after years of experiencing this level of crazy, I can't believe that some one would have the balls to insinuate thst smoking is "not that bad". If it were "not that bad", I would be "not that busy"...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by allymd View Post
    I'm a Thoracic surgeon, which means that after years of you putting the cancer stick to your mouth and soaking up pure toxin into your lungs KNOWING full well the danger, you get to stroll into my office and ask for me to surgically cure you. There are fewer disgusting habits than this and nothing upsets me more than the person with cancer who is still smoking up to the day of their operation. Sorry about the rant, but after years of experiencing this level of crazy, I can't believe that some one would have the balls to insinuate thst smoking is "not that bad". If it were "not that bad", I would be "not that busy"...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Thank you. It disgusts me that the question was even asked. YES. It is THAT bad and then some. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer as a child. She, in an effort to get us to not follow in her footsteps, had the surgeon save a piece of the cancerous lung tissue to show us in a jar. It was this black glop. I never had any desire to pick up a cigarette and I have no problem about telling anyone upwind from me to put it out.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    But what about living in the modern world? I see things that are definitely cancer-causing spewed into the air all around me at all times of the day- why should I pretend that I am avoiding cancer by not smoking cigarettes, then continue to walk through a city? Or breathe air anywhere near a NATO nation?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    But what about living in the modern world? I see things that are definitely cancer-causing spewed into the air all around me at all times of the day- why should I pretend that I am avoiding cancer by not smoking cigarettes, then continue to walk through a city? Or breathe air anywhere near a NATO nation?
    Air pollution is not healthy, no question. But that is the stuff we can't avoid if we live in a city. Deliberately sticking a known carcinogenic substance in your mouth, lighting it, and sucking in is just plain stupid.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Anyone justifying smoking is smoking crack.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Air pollution is not healthy, no question. But that is the stuff we can't avoid if we live in a city. Deliberately sticking a known carcinogenic substance in your mouth, lighting it, and sucking in is just plain stupid.
    what is stupid about it, if the likely outcome for smokers and nonsmokers alike is a cancerous growth and premature death at the hands of heavy-metal toxins and environmental despoiling?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

And I have never tried the rock, but the way anti-smokers talk, I would rather smoke crack with crackheads than do whatever you squares do when you stand around lol

Paleobird Guest
    Lung cancer is no "lol"ing matter. All the convoluted rationalizations of a very stoned brain still won't make smoking anything other than a slow method of suicide.

I understand that, but I'm sayin, the same is true of living, especially in our environmental conditions. Maybe it looks nice and shit where you are, and the air smells of something besides diesel fumes and heated pavement.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast