Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5k prep? page

Uppy is offline Member

5k prep?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but...I signed up with my brother and his wife to do a 15k relay style(we each do 5k). Looking for suggestions for preparation for this thing, mainly in terms of nutrition. Do I up my carbohydrate intake a bit for a couple days beforehand? How about race day? It's my first one.

Oh, and it's on Sunday

Goal is finishing under 30 minutes.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Do regular primal. You don't need extra carbs for 30 minutes. Maybe have half a banana just before the race. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Uppy is offline Member
    Haha...good point - it is only 30 minutes. There I go, overthinking again!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Yeah...nothing special needed for a 5K. Primal as usual.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

dado Guest
    I recommend you go on a 40 hour fast right before the race, this will shed some extra weight off and you will be able to run faster.

Break your fast with a banana and 4 boiled eggs, 1 hour before the race.

Report back.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Unless you have significant experience with fasting and how your body reacts to it I would strongly recommend not doing that before your race.

For a 5k I wouldn't do anything special... just approach it like any other day.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

dado Guest
    Of course, I agree with Goldsmith.

I'm assuming you are not soft and would be able to handle a 40 hour fast before a 5k, of course. But it is no problem if that is not the case.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Thats a ridiculous statement dude.

Being "soft" has nothing to do with it. Some people don't react as well to post fast workouts as others. I myself fall into that category. I have worked out many times in a fasted state and just don't have the same amount of energy and intensity as when I am fueled properly.

Your blanket statements you always make really annoy me.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Fufuhead is offline Member
    I agree with Goldsmith, don't do anything differently. Just eat what you normally eat for breakfast and just make sure its at least an hour or two before you run. Running on a full tummy is no fun!

Good luck and have fun!
    My Primal Journal

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yea but how will OP ever know whether he can do the 40 hour fast and run a 5k if OP doesn't try it?

It's a part of the experience. OP might find a resolve OP never knew existed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast