Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5k prep? page 2

bhailog143 is offline Junior Member
    Great and superb effort by the admin i think you want more ideas share at the location..
    And get more knowledeg by read this site..

goat milk soap

Uppy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Yea but how will OP ever know whether he can do the 40 hour fast and run a 5k if OP doesn't try it?

It's a part of the experience. OP might find a resolve OP never knew existed.
    Interesting suggestion. Don't think I've ever done a 40-hour fast in my life. Perhaps later. Breaking it with a banana and 4 boiled eggs might provide some motivation for the people behind me to run faster.

Nor am I soft. Trust me on that one.

I do like your attitude of taking things to ridiculous extremes, though!

runman1954 is offline Member
    There is just no need to do a 40 hour fast. I would agree with running it on an empty stomach after a normal day of eating the day before but a 40 hours fast just isn't necessary.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    It cracks me up when I see people carb loading for a 5k. Also cracks me up when I see people chugging water at the half-way mark like they're going to die of dehydration.
    Less than half an hour. All you need is air.

Run away joe is offline Junior Member
    Ive ran probably 100 5ks. dont do anything different on this first one. dont eat a breakfast the morning of just a small portion of whatever you normally eat. dont eat anything unusual the night before. the last thing you want to worry about is your stomach growling and churning.
    I wouldnt fast, before my first 5k, but thats just my opinion. first ever fast and first ever 5k doesnt sound good. there is enough to think about at your first race without adding in what a fast will do to your body. just the excitement of the day and atmosphere can be.. overwhelming... not really the right word.... but its a whole new experiance, thats for sure.

My other advice for a 5k is to not go out too fast. its easy to get caught up with pack and run at a pace you cant maintain. i run 18:30-19:00 minute 5ks and i still find myself getting caught up with the sub 17:00 minute guys at the beginning. i can hang with them for about a mile and then i realize im going way too fast and it messes me up the rest of the race. adrenaline i guess is what lets me run with that group for a mile, but adrenaline wears off.
    go out at a decent pace. try to judge how you feel at 1.55 miles, because your half done. if you feel awesome, go a little faster. if you feel horrible just try to hang in there. if you feel really bad, slow down for about a minute, catch your breath and go again. its amazing what slowing your pace for just a minute can do.

good luck tomorrow and most importantly have fun.
    Last edited by Run away joe; 10-22-2011 at 02:22 PM.

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Best piece of advice I can give you.... Don't take everything dado posts here so seriously. Sharpen up your humor/sarcasm detection skills.

Have fun. Don't get so caught up in the emotion of the event you kill yourself in the first mile. Run your own race. It's only 30 minutes or so. Like others have said, you don't need to do anything special. Rituals are good for mental focus (getting clothes together the night before, favorite pair of socks or t-shirt, special meal) but not really necessary.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Vernon98 is offline Junior Member
    (I personally find Grok kinda cute.) I also have a blog with a general ancestral health theme . For web design, including blogs, see my web page

Uppy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCity.X View Post
    Best piece of advice I can give you.... Don't take everything dado posts here so seriously. Sharpen up your humor/sarcasm detection skills.
    Haha - still a bit new here, and generally I'm not that uptight. Up and ready to roll this morning!

Uppy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Clocked a 27:45. Looking forward to the next one - hoping to be a bit lighter by then though. 290+ is not a good 5k weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12