Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF vs Leptin Reset page

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member

IF vs Leptin Reset

Primal Fuel
    IF vs Leptin Reset, what are your thought on the two, or between the two for weight loss? I started the LR but find it difficult to eat breakfast and 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

Thank you.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I feel as though the leptin reset is based on pseudoscience. The leptin reset works because it limits calories. You can't "reset" leptin eating low carbs. There is absolutely no scientific data that supports that.

IF works for some but not for everyone. I personally IF daily similar to the leangains approach (16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window). It works for me to keep cravings down.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I find it very natural to eat no breakfast or a small breakfast, and very unnatural to force-feed myself 50g of protein I don't feel like eating within 30 minutes of getting up. So I do what feels good for me and just have coffee until lunchtime. Then I get to eat 1.5x as much per meal, too. Win-win.

It certainly hasn't hurt my gains in the gym or my energy levels, and I think I am slowly dropping fat again for the first time in a long while. But that could be the reintroduction of starch and the carb cycling, too. I changed too many variables at once to be sure.

I also think Jack Kruse is a crazy person. He certainly writes like one.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    I eat a big Dr. K style breakfast at 9 and a smaller dinner at 5 which is 16/8 so technically I am doing both the Leptin reset and the leangains IF. But I don't do either one because the guru of the week told me to. I have always loved big breakfasts. Some people don't. To each his/her own on that. One piece of advice that Dr. K gives out that did really help though was the no snackage between meals rule. Yes, the man is badly in need of an editor but he does have some good things to say.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    IF vs Leptin Reset, what are your thought on the two, or between the two for weight loss? I started the LR but find it difficult to eat breakfast and 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

Thank you.
    IF. IF + exercise seems to be optimal. IF + exercise + frequent calorie defecit seems to work for a lot of people in terms of weight (fat) loss.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    One thing to consider: if you think you're leptin resistant, IF'ing will likely not be successful for you (although Dr. Kruse recommends it after regaining leptin sensitivity). I hope that helps your decision

Isis is offline Senior Member
    The Leptin Reset is intended as a 6-8 week leptin prescription involving the forcing of 50g of protein @ breakfast. Afterwards, once you're leptin is 'reset', then you don't have to eat 50g protein at breakfast. Most will continue to eat a protein focused breakfast. You can then IF after you complete the leptin prescription (Dr K recommends skipping lunch or dinner rather than breakfast).

where as IF (in the terms of say skipping breakfast) appears to be something people do whenever they feel like it, or daily, or listening to their bodies or when its convenient to skip meals or whatever.

Also with the leptin reset, its recommended to eat breakfast and dinner 10-12 hours apart. Lunch ideally in the middle (6 hours after lunch/before dinner). Which means you're technically fasting/IF for 12-14 hours anyway between dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Some who do IF may graze all day during their 'feeding' window, shovelling as much in as possible. Leptin reset recommends no snacking. Just 2-3 meals a day.
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Who's to say leptin resistance, if you have it, isn't being corrected by a primal/paleo diet? Art De Vany was asked if Dr Kruse was correct about not IFing until leptin resistance was dealt with and he didn't agree at all. From what I can see Kruse isn't basing that on the literature but on personal experience, so make your own call. My "leptin resistance symptoms" went away after following paleo as per De Vany's scheme but with a bit more fat a la primal). He advises to eat when you want, say 2 or 3 meals a day, fasting once a week, but as per leptin reset advice only eating at meal times, and not eating your evening meal late. That was enough for me to deal with the features of leptin resistance, as they're described (how much they're due to insulin resistance or other factors I don't know - nor does Dr Kruse I'd venture; the models we develop aren't usually able to describe the real complexity of our bodies). At worst it took a bit longer than it could have done on a different approach, but the artficiality of stuffing 50g of protein into yourself on rising doesn't appeal to the easygoing paleo/primal approach I actually enjoy...

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Different strokes for different folks.

Once again, there is no right way to 'do' paleo or primal. It's up to each individual to find what works for them. Like some others on here, I do not enjoy eating a large breakfast so soon after waking. I prefer to wait until 5-6hrs after waking for my first meal, and I eat two big meals a day with no snacking. Also, I wouldn't want to avoid eating in the evening as some recommend. My last meal is normall between 7-8pm, sometimes later if I get stuck at work. I wouldn't be satisfied if I had to skip that.

I think both IF and the leptin reset have good points and will work for people, although the leptin dogma on this board is ridiculous sometimes. But people are just enthusiastic about their results, so good on them.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    One thing to consider: if you think you're leptin resistant, IF'ing will likely not be successful for you (although Dr. Kruse recommends it after regaining leptin sensitivity). I hope that helps your decision
    Agree. IF will be more damaging than good if you are LR. I can IF now, but only since I became LS with the reset.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast