Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SuperSlow training quesiton page

mcsnick is offline Member

SuperSlow training quesiton

Shop Now
    Anyone here do SuperSlow weight training (Power of 10, etc.)? My question is, I don't really like using machines. Can you do these types of exercises with squat racks and free weights? Can you do a slow cadence deadlift? I've learned to associate machines with wimpy but maybe I need to readjust?
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    doing super slow reps sounds relatively safer with machines. Why not just stick to free weights if you don't like machines?

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsnick View Post
    Anyone here do SuperSlow weight training (Power of 10, etc.)? My question is, I don't really like using machines. Can you do these types of exercises with squat racks and free weights? Can you do a slow cadence deadlift? I've learned to associate machines with wimpy but maybe I need to readjust?
    Yes, slow rep training can be used with free weights and even bodyweight. Machines were the basis of slow rep training because it started with Nautilus machines and research into women with osteoporosis but doesn't have to rely on machines and I wouldn't recommend that option unless you were coming back from injury, surgery, etc. There are many books out there emphasizing slow rep training with various tools but probably the best is the one you mentioned- "Power of 10" by Adam Zickerman. It includes routines with machines, free weights, and bodyweight.

Keep in mind that you will need to adjust your rep range to suit the recommend TUT (time under tension). Recommended upper body TUT for strength/size is between 40-70 seconds, no more than 90 seconds. So, if using a 10/5 tempo you would stay in the 3-5 rep range and no more than 6 reps. Some trainers have found that there isn't much more benefit to doing a 10/5 rep speed as opposed to a 5/5 rep speed so they opt for the 5/5. In that case you would stay around the 5-7 rep range. Just some things to keep in mind.

Steve

adamm is online now Senior Member
    I do super slow weight training, and I use a combination of free weights and body weight exercises. I'm doing a 10/10 rep speed, and the results have been fantastic. So yeah, it absolutely can and should be done.

Also, I wouldn't worry about injury. I mean, sure we are going longer, but the weights we are lifting are lighter because of it. I feel like my body maxes itself with lifting, but I don't feel like it needs to recover the way it did with more traditional approaches to lifting.

btw, slow deadlifts and squats work great. Just remember, when you first start, go with weights which are too light, and slowly figure out what your best max is.

Last note. If you want super slow to work, be ready for pain. If you don't force your body to muscle failure for each and every exercise, if you aren't giving it your all, you will not make progress. I do 30 minutes of agony every 5 days, though, and it works great. In fact, I've got some agony scheduled for later this morning

--Me

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by szorn View Post
    Yes, slow rep training can be used with free weights and even bodyweight. Machines were the basis of slow rep training because it started with Nautilus machines and research into women with osteoporosis but doesn't have to rely on machines and I wouldn't recommend that option unless you were coming back from injury, surgery, etc. There are many books out there emphasizing slow rep training with various tools but probably the best is the one you mentioned- "Power of 10" by Adam Zickerman. It includes routines with machines, free weights, and bodyweight.

Keep in mind that you will need to adjust your rep range to suit the recommend TUT (time under tension). Recommended upper body TUT for strength/size is between 40-70 seconds, no more than 90 seconds. So, if using a 10/5 tempo you would stay in the 3-5 rep range and no more than 6 reps. Some trainers have found that there isn't much more benefit to doing a 10/5 rep speed as opposed to a 5/5 rep speed so they opt for the 5/5. In that case you would stay around the 5-7 rep range. Just some things to keep in mind.

Steve
    This is interesting. Time under tension, a new world for me now.

Tell me, when I squat deep, how many seconds should my rep take?

40-70 seconds for size/strength, does this mean an entire set of squats should take between 40-70 seconds?

adamm is online now Senior Member
    Generally, if a rep is ~23 seconds (10 seconds down, 3 second pause at bottom, 10 seconds back up), a set of 3 reps would be ideal.

--Me

dado Guest
    Wow my mind is blown. I might be doing my squats a little too fast. Where can I find more information about this subject? I will go through Starting Strength and Beyond Brawn again to see if there is any mention.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    Wow my mind is blown. I might be doing my squats a little too fast. Where can I find more information about this subject? I will go through Starting Strength and Beyond Brawn again to see if there is any mention.
    super slow and heavy weights don't seem to go together

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    super slow and heavy weights don't seem to go together
    Definitely not. I was cringing at imagning a super slow deadlift eccentric (lowering) phase. I read an article on T-nation recently that was kinda anti-tempo, especially on DL. It said something like "Nothing good ever happens on the lowering portion of a deadlift". I guess it would be OK with a really light weight, but please, don't try it with anything heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast