Thread: FitDay.com and polyunsaturated fats page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

FitDay.com and polyunsaturated fats

Hi all...

I just noticed (having just started FitDay) that it breaks down the fats to saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated. How does it know? What do I need to tweak? I don't eat polyunsaturated fats, to my knowledge...but so far I haven't always found the exact food I'm eating.

I DID add a custom food for plain Greek yogurt, since I couldn't find that...do I need to enter the info for the organic Italian marinara sauce we use, or the garlic-stuffed olives, say, and go from there?

Also when it breaks down nutrients, some things are red and some are green...does that mean "not enough" if red and "enough" if green? Or the other way around? I didn't see a key, there, but I'm guessing that's what it means...

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    The red means not enough and the green does mean enough (enough is subjective though).
    You do eat polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) even in red meat. They are in all animals, but at a much smaller amount than vegetable oils. Chicken (fatty parts and skin) and pork contain the most PUFAs of the meats (as far as I know). Salmon/sardines/etc. contain PUFAs that are known as omega-3s. So you *do* eat them.
    I would suggest using Track your progress on the Paleo diet - PaleoTrack as it follows our WOL a bit more closely and the person who created it is on here (crogagnon) so you can give them ideas about features you would like to see.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Terrific, thank you! I thought the polyunsaturated stuff was more like the chemically altered oils, like corn oil, etc.

As I said, I'm just getting used to FitDay...it's interesting and easy, for the most part, even if you do have to enter some of your own foods the first time out...I'll check out PaleoTrack!

Deb1024 is offline Junior Member
    I just started using FitDay today and then I saw this post. I was going to ask a question regarding "net carbs" and why FitDay doesn't reduce the carb count by the amount of fiber in the food. I'm starting to think (I can sometimes be called "slow" : ) ) that we are not supposed to think in terms of "net carbs" and our carb count for the day should be around 100-150 per day of actual carb count. What I really liked about the Paleo Track is how it tells you "Congratulations" when you've stayed Paleo, Grain, Sugar free. What a neat tool for us! It's great motivation for me to see that I've stayed sugar free and grain free, which is my goal right now. I sent a note to the link to let them know how great I think it is!

I actually had a question for them...it said I had eaten too many Omega-6 fatty acids, and I'd love to know how to alter that! Eat fish? I didn't eat anything that wasn't Paleo, so I'm wondering...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to use Paleo track for the second time. Why is there no normal cooked salmon?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I actually had a question for them...it said I had eaten too many Omega-6 fatty acids, and I'd love to know how to alter that! Eat fish? I didn't eat anything that wasn't Paleo, so I'm wondering...
    Oily fishes such as salmon or sardines (smelt and herring work too) will have Omega-3 to balance out with your O6. Otherwise you could take a fish oil capsule or spoonful. Naturally fed ruminants (grass-fed: beef, bison, deer, sheep) will have a naturally balanced O36 ratio.

Some say that the amount doesn't matter as long as the ratio is good; some say that you should minimize all PUFA and keep the ratio as balanced as possible. I'm not sure of it, I guess.

Thank you! I didn't actually see a place for supplements. I DO take fish oil and E, and almost all our meat is either grass-fed, organic, or hormone-free, but I didn't see any place to specify that either. Guess I just won't worry unduly about it!

I'm thinking that like with FitDay.com, you need to enter a few custom foods and put the nutritional info in yourself, from the can or container. If you buy bulk, I guess that'll require more research!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I got a nice answer from Marc who is the PaleoTrack founder--he says he's working on it! Thanks, Marc