Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: "Frustrations" with paleo/primal page 76

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Gotten myself down to fitting in a 34" waist jeans, but, my thighs/quads too large to fit comfortably in the legs.

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    Ate some homemade chocolate-chip-oatmeal cookies with flour for the first time in MONTHS, since Christmas, and THEY WEREN'T VERY GOOD. I am totally unsatisfied. They were too sweet, too heartburny, and I can't believe I was ever so obsessed with them.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I design for a fashion company, and I hear sizing complaints all the time, and have certainly uttered a few in my life. It is sad but retail fashion is often dictated by numbers, and by who is buying the most at a certain store.

We are told from on high where to start our sizing, and work up from there. We start with sizes (small, 2, 23, whatever) based on research done on the customer for the particular store. Some stores have larger breasted women (how they figure these things out, I am not sure...) some have wider hips, some are shorter. Some markets will buy clothes very form fitting, some prefer a more roomy fit. It all varies not only from store to store but will often vary in the same store, throughout the US! (For example: major dept stores usually carry different fits and stock different sizes based on their market.)

We fit our 'size small' on a model who is 5'7, 25" waist. It would be nice to do a larger range of sizes but if research shows the majority of women are buying a 10, well, it does not make economic sense to create XXS-XS clothes for the increasingly disappearing customer market of thin women. Kind of awful, huh? It would be nice to go back to vintage sizing- we still learn to create patterns on a 'size 6' dressform- what we would today call a 0 or a 2.

If you are very small, a lot of Japanese clothing stores offer fairly decent shipping rates, and clothes that will be fashionable in the US next year. Weirdly enough, my favorite place for jeans and pants are Forever 21- although they changed them so they are not 100% cotton anymore, so that sucks.
    OMG, I've gotten sooo frustrated with clothing stores now because of all this statistical marketting BS. Even when I was heavier I liked clothes that were more close-fitting, and now that I'm thinner, it has become almost impossible because I am TAAALL. Close to 5'10". Not runway-model proportions or anything, I still have a broad ribcage and thick muscular legs, but still proportionally a lot skinnier than design statistics apparently anticipate. Everything that fits nice around the chest and waist ends about two inches above the top of my pants, and anything long enough hangs on me like a tent. And dont even get me started on @#(&@)#(&@@ "womens fit tshirts", not the babydoll ones, the ones that are extra wide and extra short which seem to be replacing the babydoll style on all my favorite cheap internet tshirt sites.

My best workaround has been these cheap $6 camisole tanktops from H&M that are unexpectedly (and blessedly) long. I get them in a size 4 and layer them underneath all my shirts that are too short. Also, as the absolute last straw, I asked for a sewing machine for xmas and have been teaching myself to sew, ideally with the ultimate goal of tailoring things/making my own crap. Yeah its a lot of time and money but luckily I have really been enjoying it
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

vtphoenix is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    OMG, I've gotten sooo frustrated with clothing stores now because of all this statistical marketting BS. Even when I was heavier I liked clothes that were more close-fitting, and now that I'm thinner, it has become almost impossible because I am TAAALL. Close to 5'10". Not runway-model proportions or anything, I still have a broad ribcage and thick muscular legs, but still proportionally a lot skinnier than design statistics apparently anticipate. Everything that fits nice around the chest and waist ends about two inches above the top of my pants, and anything long enough hangs on me like a tent. And dont even get me started on @#(&@)#(&@@ "womens fit tshirts", not the babydoll ones, the ones that are extra wide and extra short which seem to be replacing the babydoll style on all my favorite cheap internet tshirt sites.

My best workaround has been these cheap $6 camisole tanktops from H&M that are unexpectedly (and blessedly) long. I get them in a size 4 and layer them underneath all my shirts that are too short. Also, as the absolute last straw, I asked for a sewing machine for xmas and have been teaching myself to sew, ideally with the ultimate goal of tailoring things/making my own crap. Yeah its a lot of time and money but luckily I have really been enjoying it
    I feel you on this one. I've dropped to a 32 waist, and at 6'3" with a 36" inseam, it's practically impossible to find appropriately sized pants, at least at the prices I can afford. Even shorts are somewhat ridiculous because the "tall" shorts only go down to 34 and 36 inch waists. So I have to deal with 34" inseam pants, and shorts that come to mid-thigh or higher when I sit down (except in athletic shorts). Why can't Big and Tall sections be "Big and/or Tall"?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Gotten myself down to fitting in a 34" waist jeans, but, my thighs/quads too large to fit comfortably in the legs.
    Stop buying skinny jeans, you damn hipster!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Stop buying skinny jeans, you damn hipster!
    That's seriously what it felt like, and I thought "how does anyone walk around like this all day?"

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Unless I wear a sweater, I get cold. I've lost my insulating layer of fat.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtphoenix View Post
    I feel you on this one. I've dropped to a 32 waist, and at 6'3" with a 36" inseam, it's practically impossible to find appropriately sized pants, at least at the prices I can afford. Even shorts are somewhat ridiculous because the "tall" shorts only go down to 34 and 36 inch waists. So I have to deal with 34" inseam pants, and shorts that come to mid-thigh or higher when I sit down (except in athletic shorts). Why can't Big and Tall sections be "Big and/or Tall"?
    if you are looking for (trendy) jeans, I know that Buckle carries quite a lot in very long lengths
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I know they are expensive, but Lucky Brand jeans have a relaxed fit that's pretty awesome- 181, I think. I have a 29-30" waist, but I squat. Those are the only ones I can find that fit decently in both the waist and the thighs. I had a pair of American Eagle bootcut jeans from before I started squatting that I hadn't worn for a while. I tried them on one day, hoping to maybe stretch them out a bit, but they just ripped when I squatted down to pick something up.

Fiveholts714 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Now do you not get sunburned? I am so fair skinned and so is my oldest. Please share.

Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast