Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: "Frustrations" with paleo/primal page 74

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Yep. My two clothing pet peeves are not a big enough waist/hip difference in pants and that both jeans and boots are often cut too tight for my calves.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm now furious at my local Old Navy. My only source for jeans that fit at a price I was willing to pay stopped carrying my fit. I now have my choice of crappily made, ill fitting, overpriced jeans or well made, well fitting WAY overpriced jeans. I don't even have the options of Levi's and Lees.
    As well, I'd love to know who decided the lowest size to carry was a 4 or 6 and introduce them to my fist.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

TrackMom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    2. I look better so I have no reason to have sex with the lights out and my power bill is going up.
    Ok, this line is hilariously brilliant.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm now furious at my local Old Navy. My only source for jeans that fit at a price I was willing to pay stopped carrying my fit. I now have my choice of crappily made, ill fitting, overpriced jeans or well made, well fitting WAY overpriced jeans. I don't even have the options of Levi's and Lees.
    Do you have a Marshalls or a TJ Maxx? They often have the premium brands marked down. I have a pair of Sevens from there that fit perfect and were $30. They often have Levis and Lees for $20. They generally have a lot of smaller sizes.

Old Navy's clothes are so cheap now.... I can't remember the last time their jeans fit me and looked nice. I stopped going there. The material and construction are so bad.

Also, try stores that sell western wear. They have alternative brands. Cruel Girl, Wranglers.... they are often sized as junior sizes and have smaller sizes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

I'm usually reasonably okay with pants. (I hope when I finish losing weight I can still wear the Limited's pants -- I have 6 or 7 pairs of them in my current size, and they are perfect. Don't even need to iron them if you take them right out of the dryer. I hardly ever wear any other pants to work.) It's SHIRTS that are obnoxious. I don't own any button down shirts, because they never fit. If they button in the front, they have monkey arms. If they fit in the sleeves, they don't button in the front (although that's a boob issue, not a primal issue, lol). If they're short-sleeved, sometimes they're too tight in the upper arms -- especially if there is any sort of elastic. Seems like clothing manufacturers are expecting women to be twigs (everything tiny) or plus-size (everything tent-like), with not much in between.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing volunteer work at a local co-op bakery. They have all sorts of flour, but few my body is happy with. I'm not really bothered about bread or mass-produced cakes, but some of the stuff there is pure genius. So I get to make cakes and biscuits with 100% natural, organic materials, full of fresh (and dried) fruit and nuts and organic and I'm one of the few people working there that can't enjoy them for free.

I did, however, get some goat's cheese with some baked potatoes, as the guy I was baking with also has grain and legume problems, so he understands my pain.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

lonefrontranger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    As well, I'd love to know who decided the lowest size to carry was a 4 or 6 and introduce them to my fist.
    I've had to resort to shopping in the juniors' department - the upside to this is the cuts seem a bit closer to what I'd call "normal" and the prices are less outrageous (it's still poorly made but at least the prices are more appropriate). Sizes frequently go down to 0 or even 00 (equivalent to a 1960s Size 2 so I'm told, yes vanity sizing is A Thing.). The downside is that I'm 44 and sometimes can't find age-appropriate jeans without some tacky bling on the ass. Surprisingly though there are "scene" stores like Diesel and Forever21 that cater to a more hip, Boho-elegant cultured young set that do have nice, elegant things that fit, if you don't mind being a little trendy. Or there's always H&M (don't judge me you Brits, it's not like we have a plethora of decent options over here).

Preppy old-skool stuff like Old Navy and L.L. Bean? yea forget it. Just plain cheap like Target and/or warehouse stores? seriously, that stuff is weapons-grade awful - besides which those places rarely carry much below about a US size 10. Basically if it caters to the "older" or "working class" demographic then it seems that they've all gone over to the dark side on sizing and materials. I won't get into my rant on how this seems like a form of subtle classism at play but yeah, it's BS.
    Last edited by lonefrontranger; 02-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that none of my rings fit anymore- they all fall off my hands. I don't understand that at all- I'm still a good 40 lbs heavier than when I bought many of them and yet it's like my hands are losing weight at a more rapid rate than the rest of me. Or maybe I'm holding less fluids. It doesn't help that it's cold out and that naturally causes my hands to shrink.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    The call of nature.
    I used to be able to just "go" once every couple of days. Now once or twice a day is normal, and I'm finding toilet-breaks a bit inconvenient.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Megatron is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I design for a fashion company, and I hear sizing complaints all the time, and have certainly uttered a few in my life. It is sad but retail fashion is often dictated by numbers, and by who is buying the most at a certain store.

We are told from on high where to start our sizing, and work up from there. We start with sizes (small, 2, 23, whatever) based on research done on the customer for the particular store. Some stores have larger breasted women (how they figure these things out, I am not sure...) some have wider hips, some are shorter. Some markets will buy clothes very form fitting, some prefer a more roomy fit. It all varies not only from store to store but will often vary in the same store, throughout the US! (For example: major dept stores usually carry different fits and stock different sizes based on their market.)

We fit our 'size small' on a model who is 5'7, 25" waist. It would be nice to do a larger range of sizes but if research shows the majority of women are buying a 10, well, it does not make economic sense to create XXS-XS clothes for the increasingly disappearing customer market of thin women. Kind of awful, huh? It would be nice to go back to vintage sizing- we still learn to create patterns on a 'size 6' dressform- what we would today call a 0 or a 2.

If you are very small, a lot of Japanese clothing stores offer fairly decent shipping rates, and clothes that will be fashionable in the US next year. Weirdly enough, my favorite place for jeans and pants are Forever 21- although they changed them so they are not 100% cotton anymore, so that sucks.

Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast