Page 48 of 81 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: "Frustrations" with paleo/primal page 48

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    None at the moment, it's just a way of life.

I really miss all that extra padding between me and my Sweetheart's ribcage and hipbones. We have to be more careful now when we . . . um . . .dance.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tresa View Post
    I've decided to take a sewing class, just for this reason. Tailoring is expensive, and I'm going to need to take in a lot of waistbands
    OHHHHHH I wish I could sew!!!! I've tried, but I really stink at it. I would love to be able to make my own clothing, being the artsy type and all. Nothing I buy off the rack ever suits me perfectly. And my shape and size keeps changing, so nothing is fitting quite right...

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    OHHHHHH I wish I could sew!!!! I've tried, but I really stink at it. I would love to be able to make my own clothing, being the artsy type and all. Nothing I buy off the rack ever suits me perfectly. And my shape and size keeps changing, so nothing is fitting quite right...
    You can learn by doing. Get a cheap sewing machine at WalMart or somewhere (only has to sew a straight line).
    You can even buy "clear" thread, so it matches anything and you won't have to change colors all time.

Put the clothing on that you want to alter -- INSIDE OUT!

Pinch here and there where it's too big and pin it so that it fits.
    Take it off, sew, remove pins and try it on RIGHT SIDE OUT and see how it looks.
    If more needed -- just put it on INSIDE OUT and try again.

Learn to make DARTS (easy to do) and is the secret to tailoring -- but just sewing a straight line takes you a long way in altering clothing that is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by CattyB View Post
    Why go for costly, enameled Dutch ovens when Lodge makes much less expensive plain cast iron ones that not only cook superbly, they impart some iron into the food to help prevent anemia! Properly seasoned cast iron is better than any non-stick surface you'll ever find!
    How is that working out when you cook watery things, like stew? I'm totally into cast iron, but still use steel or enamel pots for my stews . . .

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    My human bio class (professor totally not qualified for this...) is now teaching 5 minutes on nutrition. Using MyPlate and touting how awesome grain is for you. I haven't listened to a single word for the whole class.
    Yeah, I read a flyer from our local art museum that commented about how much taller and healthier we are now than your primal forebears. Credibility right out the window...
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CattyB View Post
    Why go for costly, enameled Dutch ovens when Lodge makes much less expensive plain cast iron ones that not only cook superbly, they impart some iron into the food to help prevent anemia! Properly seasoned cast iron is better than any non-stick surface you'll ever find!

How is that working out when you cook watery things, like stew? I'm totally into cast iron, but still use steel or enamel pots for my stews . . .

-------

Just a thought--past a certain age, women shouldn't be getting extra iron, since our need for it drops dramatically after menopause. Acidic foods like tomatoes really free that iron up into your food.

Lodge seems to have forgotten how to make a smooth-bottomed pan any more, any way--we have vintage cast iron we use when we fry or saute.
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I just hate how when all my good groceries run out now (meat and cream and vegs) I can't slack for a few days eating noodles and dry cereal and whatever else is in the pantry before going shopping again, because now all that's in my pantry is tea.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Speaking of underwear, DO they make boxer shorts for women?

I'm probably not the right size yet to find any that would fit me properly, but I'll be in the market for some next year. Surely they make such objects. Also, sock garters. Please?
    Boxers for women are called Tap pants and Peti Pants. They are made of slinkier material then men's boxers.

lil milo is offline Junior Member
    east of the mississippi, north of the mason-dixon line
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieCalledGia View Post
    Boxers for women are called Tap pants and Peti Pants. They are made of slinkier material then men's boxers.
    or boy-shorts

Page 48 of 81 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast