Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: "Frustrations" with paleo/primal page 22

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Sleeping on my tummy hurts as my ribs don't have padding anymore.
    I sleep on my side, and ive been noticing back-pain lately in my mid-back, and ive been thinking that its because i dont have all the side-padding to prop me up so my whole spine slumps into the mattress more.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^That's a good thing, sleeping on your stomach is REALLY bad for your lower back!
    Really? I've always seen that children naturally sleep on their tummies (unless their parents pressure them to sleep the so-called Right Way), boys even taking it further and propping up their butt sometimes, and just laying on their chest.

Sometimes I still sleep on my tummy, but not often, because of those annoying things called breasts! Still, when I do this I sleep very well and don't get back pain.

When I sleep on my tummy, I face right, left arm bent with my forehead resting on my forearm, right arm bent with the hand closed by my chin.
    With the arms like that, I have room for my breasts to hang out without being squished by the bed.
    My right leg is bent slightly, and my left leg relaxed.

It's wonderful :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I sleep on my side, and ive been noticing back-pain lately in my mid-back, and ive been thinking that its because i dont have all the side-padding to prop me up so my whole spine slumps into the mattress more.
    Male or female? For me, as a female with wide hips and wide shoulders with a narrow waist, I have to make sure my spine is aligned between shoulders-hips. I must make sure my waist does not touch the bed. When sleeping on a mattress I hate it no matter what, but when sleeping on the floor, I sleep with my right arm under my head (the back of my arm touching my chin, my forearm touching my forehead - don't need a pillow), the leg touching the bed (my right leg) is bent, so now the left leg (above the knee) can rest on the right leg (below the knee).

This aligns my hips/shoulders, and my waist doesn't touch the bed (that is, it doesn't slump).

As I kid I slept on my tummy, but I saw my mom sleeping in that position. I would ask her all the time, "Mom, doesn't your arm fall asleep like that?" and she'd reply "No, of-course not!"
    Now that I'm a grown woman that position seems to work for me too.

Apparently that is the most common position women use when co-sleeping with a baby, for easy breastfeeding, so it makes sense. Like a cat with her kittens.

As for grown men... I don't know, I'm not one. But I've never seen a man (brothers, cousins, friends, boyfriends, father) sleep in another position other than on his back :-P
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 01-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Well I suppose it can depend on a lot of things like general flexibility and body form as well as mattress. I slept on my stomach for YEARS and it was the only way I could fall asleep for a long time. Up until around 21 yrs old when I suddenly had a lot of lower back pain seemingly out of the blue. My boyfriend and I were challenged by our chiropractor to stop sleeping on our backs. Instant relief! It was hard to change that habit though.

Unless you have a very stable mattress (or a conforming one), your body will dip forward the wrong way and put strain on your lower back, or so I was taught. I can't sleep on my stomach anymore, no matter the mattress. It makes me feel like I'm going to snap in half the wrong way.

If I sleep on my back, I'm most comfortable without a pillow (or a thin one). If I'm on my side, I like a fairly thick pillow to support my head. An arm is comfortable for height, but it falls asleep. I wish I could go pillow-less
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Oh my... I thought I was posting on the "Sleeping on the floor" thread... please disregard...

:-X

Though this also works for me when I sleep on the bed, it's just more pleasant when I sleep on the floor.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    I love this thread!

I can't sit for as long because I've lost so much padding from my butt - especially on hard hockey rink benches. It makes it easier to jump up and down, yelling my head off!

re-iterating the loose clothes, new jeans, extra holes in belts....really dig having these awful problems to deal with.

Looking in the mirror, debating with myself on the life alternating question of 'are the size 6 skinny jeans are too much for a 41 year old?'

Sleeping position... I kind of sleep like you abstractpersona partially on side, partially on stomach, left arm under my face. Unfortunately, I only have back problems when my husband is home (travels for work) having him in bed causes a dip in the mattress that makes my back ache in the am.

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

onalark is offline Senior Member
    The bottles of Advil I bought pre-primaleo are gathering dust. We just don't take as much as we used to. Even during a Certain Part of the Month, I find I don't need it.

That said: while I was on "holiday" in December, I noticed all sorts of little aches and pains (especially in my back) that crept in. It literally took less than a week from eating cookies and cakes for my body to start whining about it.

Could be coincidence, could be the wheat. All I know is I've been back to eating right the last two and a half weeks, and the pain is gone. And the ibuprofen is still collecting dust.

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Should I be at all concerned with a one pound weight *gain* in one day? The details:

I'm not weight training/exercising yet. That starts today, actually.
    I've lost six pounds in the first week or so.
    I pretty much stuck to the diet 100% every day so far...no cheats at all.
    I already had my BM for today.
    Yesterday was 242.6, today was 244.
    I did eat some rather salty jerky right before bed last night.
    I had a small glass of whole/full fat milk last night as well. (maybe 4 oz)

Uppy is offline Member
    Hi adameads! Gaining a bit of weight back is not all that surprising. I'd say for the first month don't even worry about the scale because your body is so busy re-balancing itself. Personally, I lost about 14bs in the first week but ended up slowly putting about half of that back on during week 2. Smarter people than me could tell you the specifics, but I think it's because when you eat fewer carbs your body doesn't need to store as much water...something like that.

Anyhow, once your body finds that balance point, things really start to get fun!

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I'm going to stay off the scale for a week and hopefully can still report a few pounds off. Started at 251.

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    I used to LOVE chocolate. I'd eat an entire box of those Belgium Guylain chocolates in a short evening. Or even Laura Secord frosted mint chocolate bars. I'd buy five at once and they'd be gone that day. Homemade chocolate cakes were doomed from the get-go. As were brownies, if they even got to the oven.

Now, after six months of no sugar (that I know of) and no wheat (that I know of) I can't even stand the taste of any chocolate, super sweet OR dark. I just does nothing for me.

I am in mourning.

Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast