Thread: Paleo kids! page

iDoll eyes is offline Junior Member

Paleo kids!

Shop Now
    Hey... I'm new here and looking for some advice from other parents who I'm sure have come across this (or similar) situation...

My 7 year old has been doing a 'healthy eating' topic at school and came home today waving the 'eat well plate' demanding to know why we doing eat whole 'healthy' food groups. There was also a letter from the school explaining that an events company are coming into school next week to wrap up the topic with a make your own healthy pizza day!

I went through the whole thing with my daughter and she does understand but then got really upset saying that the other kids at school make fun of her because she doesn't eat bread etc.

So I suppose I'm asking 2 questions;

1. How would you deal with the pizza day event?
    2. Have your kids even been picked on for being paleo and how did you deal with that?

I'm not into big shows of agro but I'm thinking maybe I could speak to the class teacher and offer to go into school and spend half an hour putting across the paleo viewpoint to the kids? They're quite a forward thinking school so they'd probably be ok with that. Still doesn't solve the pizza issue though!

Opinions welcome!!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Eh, let her eat pizza or send her in with a non-wheat crust. I don't think it would be appropriate for you to showcase paleo living in a classroom =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

crogagnon is offline Member
    Perhaps I'm a bad father, but I let my kids eat grains outside the house, e.g., friend's birthday party, or this pizza event example. They are 100% primal at home, so I consider these few exceptions once every 2-4 weeks the 80/20 rule. Let them eat cake, I suppose. I only turned paleo in my thirties, and I'm in top shape now, so I figure a few cheats as kids is harmless.

As for teasing, my kids have not complained about it, but I would deal with it the same way I would deal with any other teasing or bullying: I would talk to the principal and/or teacher. There are so many different allergies at school and different religious food restrictions that paleo is really not that crazy.

I didn't explain myself very well there! She will be joining in with pizza making, I agree with the 80/20 and am fairly relaxed about what she eats really. I think my issue is more that she (and the class) are only being given one point of view as 'fact' and no mention (let alone consideration or description) of other schools of thought. I will be speaking to the school anyway about the teasing... I think I was wondering if there would be beneficial for all the kids in being aware that there is more than one opinion on how to eat healthily (similar to how religion is taught with different religions being given equal consideration). If as an aside they understand better so tease less that would be great but that wasn't really my motivation.

?

Your heart is in the right place, but I personally wouldn't explain it to the class. Unfortunately, diet seems to be very touchy with people and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a backlash from some parents who are raising their kids vegetarian, vegan, etc. I know I would object if a parent went into my kid's class and told them eating meat causes cancer according to the China Study.

I hear you, it's not fair. The school is preaching the food pyramid along side geography, science, math, and grammar and you have to explain to your kids: "don't listen to EVERYTHING they say, just some of it". Sigh...

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The school would never let you do it. It would be a liability and PR disaster to say anything counter to the Official Healthy Plate Pyramid Whatsit.

But even if they did? I think going in there to elaborate on your dietary/lifestyle viewpoints to a classroom of kids would just make the "wow you're weird!" social situation worse for your daughter instead of better.

I agree it would be great for kids to be more aware, and they need to know they have options in their future life, but right now their only option is however their parents choose to feed them. Even if you could sell some of the kids on the idea, you'd just get resulting backlash from parents. That's probably the #1 reason the school wouldn't allow it.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Thanks for all your comments.

Thinks in the UK must be quite different to the states. I called the school and spoke to the teacher who is going to bring in different perspectives on 'healthy eating' with the class work next week. Which is all I wanted really. They were actually really interested so I've sent them over some information so they can cover it as another healthy eating/lifestyle choice along with vegetarianism etc.

I was never wanting to try to 'convert' the kids. Just to let them know there are other opinions out there and they are free to make up their own minds.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Wow, great! Makes me want to move over to England!

I don't think there's actually anything wrong with trying to "convert" kids. Just wasn't being too optimistic when I wrote that.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

I'm glad it worked out. You are lucky to have access to such an open-minded school.