Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! New to this idea of eating! page

JennaRose is offline Senior Member

Hello! New to this idea of eating!

Primal Fuel
    Hello

For the past 6 years I've lived as a vegetarian, mostly, including some fish here and there when I wasn't completely guilt-ridden about eating it. (ohh, those veg folk love to guilt you out!!)

I successfully brainwashed myself into thinking that a veg diet is best for myself (for everyone, the planet, blah blah), but I just don't feel like it is working.

I used to be very overweight, and originally lost the majority of my weight eating meat + veg, but then became a vegetarian after that.

On Sunday, I ate my first hamburger in 6 years.! It was delicious I still am having a little trouble getting used to the idea that eating meat is 'ok', and it isn't bad. When you've spent almost 1/4 of your life following one idea, it's hard to adapt to another.

But, I like the idea of eating naturally, that was always my goal. Having tried vegetarian, vegan, raw food even, I'm ready to try something new. Primal seems to make sense!

Anyway, Hello! Nice to meet you all! any other former vegetarian folk around? How did you hear about primal and how did you make the decision to switch?

JR

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Welcome! There are a lot of former vegetarians and vegans on this board. You can probably find them in a quick search of the forum. You should encounter a lot less guilt in this community, (but you will still get a fair dose of dogma).

If you haven't done so already, I recommend picking up The Primal Blueprint and some other "paleo" books to help you get your bearings.

crogagnon is offline Member
    OMG, you used to eat ONLY vegetables?!?!? PLANT KILLER!!!!!

Ok, now that I got it out of my system, welcome! I promise I won't try to make you feel guilty for killing plants anymore. I just like to kid around; I find it funny how people get so religious about their diet--even primal people can also be guilty of it.

Kudos for giving primal a try.

Thanks, both

I wanted to pick up a few books at my B&N yesterday, but all they had was The Paleo Solution(which I got ). I had originally wanted the Primal Blueprint i really like this site, will get the book asap

People certainly get very religious about their diets, it's such a fiery topic!!

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Hey. Welcome.

As far as justifying meat consumption goes... just remember that humans have been relying on animal fat and protein for sustenance for millions of years -- like way, way, WAY longer then we have relied on GMO plants and grains like most of us do now.

Because of this we are, by evolutionary design, predisposed to thrive on these primary fuel sources. You can't feel bad about eating what you are designed to get fuel from... just like a car shouldn't "feel bad" for using gasoline. Maybe nature is a bit cruel, but you didn't design the system. None of us did. You can't feel bad about being born into it.

I've been around here for nearly 2 years, and my one solid piece of advice is to avoid the fanatic zealotry towards the Primal Blue print that seems to be rampant within the veg/vegan community. Analogous to the veg heads out there... similar people from the carb-ophobe camp exist in the paleo realm. If you have a good attitude people on this forum will really be glad to help you out with anything diet or exercise wise. Good Luck!

Thanks Pete, the way you put it really helps. I also try to think of it as, does a mother animal feel 'bad' about killing another animal, a baby animal even? No ,she's 'concerned' with the best for herself and/or young. I am a strong believer in natural eating for all species (I wish I could coax the vegans out of making their cats vegans.), just hadn't been in the school of thought that meat is natural for humans to consume.
    All natural is all good!

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    Thanks Pete, the way you put it really helps. I also try to think of it as, does a mother animal feel 'bad' about killing another animal, a baby animal even? No ,she's 'concerned' with the best for herself and/or young. I am a strong believer in natural eating for all species (I wish I could coax the vegans out of making their cats vegans.), just hadn't been in the school of thought that meat is natural for humans to consume.
    All natural is all good!

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!
    I read an article once on CNN where a woman was glad she could feed her dog vegan dog food so that "they could share an ideology." Say what? Who seriously thinks their dog will ever have a vegan ideology? He will always scarf down a steak if he is offered one. People can be so weird about food.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^I grew up playing with this jerk girl across the street who fed her cats CHEERIOS and TOFU. I kid you not. They were emaciated and tiny. One of them had kittens and they all died except for one, and it was deformed (tail curled like a pig, front legs bent inward like elbows cocked out). She claimed one was born with two heads, and I don't really doubt it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

dakSildeldDeK is offline Junior Member

Nigel Bester

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^I grew up playing with this jerk girl across the street who fed her cats CHEERIOS and TOFU. I kid you not. They were emaciated and tiny. One of them had kittens and they all died except for one, and it was deformed (tail curled like a pig, front legs bent inward like elbows cocked out). She claimed one was born with two heads, and I don't really doubt it.
    I'm speechless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast