Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Intermittent Fasting appropriate for beginners? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

I need a lot more info. about this IF business. I just started this "diet" two weeks ago and my hunger has decreased dramatically. It's wonderful, and this is coming from a guy who's regularly eaten 5000 calories/day, and still often felt unsatisfied, for almost 5 years. Considering that I'm in the early stages of my transition, and that I have about 100lbs to lose, is IF appropriate for me? I feel like I'm capable of doing it as I'm no longer tempted to binge. If so, for how long and how often? My main concern is the loss of lean body mass as I'm well-muscled and would obviously like to maintain as much as possible through this journey.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

geekfish is offline Junior Member

I'd say make IF a second priority. Make first priority getting switch to a consistent primal style "diet". Make it through the carb withdraw if you have it.

For me getting to a point where you are no longer plagued by hunger is key to long term success. I say this as temptation was key problem for me when I started.

Once your confident in your primal way of eating, skipping meals should be a natural thing, you just won't be hungry. Once that happens I would say IF when you want.

For me, IF usually consists of skipping breakfast about 50-75% of the time. 1-2 times during a week skipping breakfast and lunch. I usually don't do anything over 12-14 hr of fasting. I guess I use a "eating less frequent" approach.

There are other strategies for IF, others will mention I'm sure.

andyincc Guest

If your main concern is the loss of lean body mass then I suspect that you know that fasting sends the famine signals that that will cause your body to save the fat and instead burn your lean mass for energy.

I further suspect that's why it's called "intermittent", as in not long enough to trigger that response. Since I'm not a health professional or as knowledgeable as some here, I'll defer to Mark and the members as to whether it's possible, when and how, and if it's wise at this point in your program.

I CAN say from my own experience that MY optimal nutrition, fitness and health is made from many elements, not just whether or not to eat, or what to eat, but also when, where and how to eat. For myself the "when" seems to be more important, to eat like a baby every 2 to 3 hours on schedule, and protein loaded, to fuel the metabolic fires and burn my fat off. Brefkast-SNACK, lunch-SNACK, dinner-SNACK. Not another meal or enough to be a meal, a SNACK as in a small grip of nuts, or other low glycemic fruit and water. Just enough to stoke the fire and keep the hungries just below the edge until the next meal that my body knows is coming.

I try not to slack off the regular food intake schedule or I have a hard time dropping weight, or plateau. Gotta keep the fire hot, so I tend not to worry about I.F. until after I feel like I'm getting back in control and the plan becomes habit-becomes lifestyle, which for me is the key to keeping the weight off.

If you want some good science watch this http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Why are the poor and minorities overweight?? They're not fat because they over eat, they over eat because their fat tissue demands to be fed.

Gary Taubes says: "By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.

The fewer carbohydrates we eat, the leaner we will be."

JamieBelle is offline Member

My experience with IF is that it really has done nothing for me other than make me realize I can go an entire day without food and not die or pass out.

It did not make me lose weight (I'm not trying to anyway) and it did not affect my muscle mass in one direction or another (I have been strength training hard now for almost a year).

I don't really do it much. It has its place, I suppose, and it's fun to do for kicks occasionally, but I don't make a habit out of it.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Start by skipping a meal, when you don't really feel like eating ;-).

Later will come times that you feel confident skipping two meals.

In the place I am living (south india), there is a traditional saying

one who eat once is a yogi (somebody who does not have cravings). One who eats twice is nirogi (healthy). One who eats thrice is bhogi (enjoys life). One who eats four times is rogi (sick).

The moral is that you will be healthy by the time you are able to live on eating twice.

GotPrimal Guest

Agreed with Anand.

Let it come naturally. IF should come naturally as eating primal does a couple of things, regulates your blood sugar and keeps you satiated, which should allow you to skip a meal here or there.

Kaizen Guest

I agree with everyone say to eat primal first. The beauty of it is, eating primal will naturally transition you to start eating IF. Least for me, because you'll be satiated longer and have more energy. protein and fat will keep you full longer, so naturally you'll eat less if you eat say 3 times a day. Eventually you'll say "I'm not hungry" at lunch, and just go through to dinner. Don't worry so much about it. There is a site similar to this one, hell it's how I found MDA, called "The IF Life". Here is an article:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2010/01/13/benefits-intermittent-fasting/

And to see IF done in a more athletic/bodybuilding sense, look at www.leangains.com . Definitely has it's benefits, but once again start off eating right first, then "tweak" with IF. Good luck.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Lean gains is a great site.

A little on the CW side of carbs though.

You may want too check out www.theleansaloon.com for a more paleo/primal approach.

Kaizen Guest

Yeah Lean Gains promotes a lot of CW, which is a bit ironic, but oh well it works for them. The warrior diet is also one similar to eating more paleo/primal like. I like that lean saloon site, probably start reading it.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll start reviewing those websites ASAP and continue focusing on my diet.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast