Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Intermittent Fasting appropriate for beginners? page 3

Brit is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I find myself IF'ing on accident. If i'm busy working after a satiating meal, I'll forget lunch or not even be hungry for dinner.

I usually eat two meals, unless I get up real early, although, sometimes I'm not hungry till lunch. I'll have a big lunch and I won't have dinner, maybe just a little snack.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Well, I had my first slip up tonight - 15 pizza rolls w/ranch, 2 doughnuts, and a can of mountain dew (about 1000 calories in all). It didn't blow my daily calorie count out of the water but I have a weigh in on Wednesday so I think this is the perfect time for my first IF. I'm going to have breakfast tomorrow morning and then I'm not going to eat again until Wednesday morning, after my weigh in.

Let's see how this works.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

The Lean Saloon is offline Junior Member

Jokaman, for breakfast, eat Paleo -- or eat something low in carbohydrates, to start off your fast with stable blood glucose.

You should be fine. It's the beauty of intermittent fasting. (But it should not often be a tool to "fix" such slip-ups.)

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

I agree 100% and to use it as such would only lead to a vicious and unhealthy cycle.

I'll have my typical omega-3 eggs, reduced sodium bacon, and cheddar cheese omelet in the morning, with a piece of fruit, and go from there.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I find that I often have to force myself to eat three meals a day (if I do ... usually I just eat two)... I'm never hungry at "breakfast time" and by the time I'm hungry in the morning I'm already at class and thus must wait until lunch anyway. So I usually just eat lunch and dinner.

My question is: does this reduce the benefit of a 24-hr fast?

Should I make an effort to eating three meals a day and just skipping a random meal at random times?

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

The Lean Saloon is offline Junior Member

Amy, much of the fasting benefits seem to initiate around the 12- to 14-hour mark. However, simply going longer between meals, even if doesn't reach 12 hours or more, still provide positive effects: less postprandial stress and inflammation, less insulin, increased insulin sensitivity, differentiation between true hunger and habitual hunger, stimulation of fat-burning growth hormone (ghrelin induced), positive nutrient partitioning, etc.

Also, skipping RANDOM meals might be better than merely skipping the same meals over and over, as skipping meals you're used to eating allow for the release of ghrelin, which stimulates growth hormone and thus fat mobilization.

In other words, don't stress about the length and duration of an intermittent fast. Anytime you go longer between two meals, you're doing something good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123