Thread: Triathlete in need of advice! page

lulutris is offline Junior Member

Cool Triathlete in need of advice!

Primal Fuel
    My name is Laura and I'm fairly new to Primal lifestyle. I am a working wife, and mother of one. I am a cervical cancer survivor who, in the past 2 years, began my lifestyle change. Lost 50+ lbs following low carb/low calorie/high protein diet and changed to a much more active lifestyle.

I just completed my first triathlon season and I am absolutely in LOVE with the sport. I completed 4 sprint distance triathlons this season, with pretty decent results for my first time out. I love the training, the races, the friendship and camaraderie -- everything!

I have set a goal for myself to lose my final 10 lbs. (goal weight of about 120 lbs. - I'm 5'4" tall) before next triathlon season, to be in peak physical condition to begin my training again in January. My other goal is to do an Olympic distance before my 40th birthday (10/31/1972). To date, I have found it difficult to train and go Primal in-tandem. I intend to continue running, cycling and swimming through the winter, but I need your tips on fueling Primal-style, while attempting to lose a little weight.

How hard-core are you other triathletes with total Primal lifestyle while training? What supplements are you using/taking? Do you completely rely on whole foods, or do you still use gels such as GU or zipvit? How do you fuel for those long runs, long bike rides and long swims?

I appreciate any help and feedback you can give. The more details the better.... Thanks!!!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Laura,

Congrats on your success thus far.

You will want to be on a high carb paleo diet if you wish to be an endurance athlete. I reccomend you take a close look at the Friel/Cordain book called "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". I have been coaching seceral Primal/Paleo atheltes in Triathlon and ultra-running (up to IM and 100Mi respectively) with a lot of success. We do get funny looks when we break out par cooked sweet potatoes from our back pockets on long bike rides. Coconut Lara Bars are also a go-to for many of my athletes. Basically, you can easily use sports nutrition during workouts over 90 minutes and stay primal/paleo the rest of the time without negative impact on your performance. Most of my athletes are taking in Maltodextrose and gels when training long too. I like to have them training with the fuel that will be on the race course so their system does not get a shock on race day. You can also work hard and be a full primal/paleo, it just takes a lot more effort and focus. If you want to get deeper into it, send me an email at dreamcatcher@astound.net and we can chat offline.

Cheers,

Dave