Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is heating nuts bad? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

Is heating nuts bad?

Primal Fuel
    So I love nuts and seeds and just made a very nice flax seed wrap with flax meal and egg. I heated it up to get it to all come together. Is it bad to heat nuts? Thought I heard somewhere that it isn't a good idea to do this. I also make a hot b-fast cereal with pecans and almonds.

Also, is there really any downfall (other than being allergic to nuts) of consuming too many nuts? I have quite a few in the morning and afternoon.

Thanks

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Seeds and nuts are high in PUFA's. Heating PUFA's can oxidize them, and that is very unhealthy. Having said that, I still do it occasionally as part of baking. Flax is extremely high in PUFA's and should be avoided. Even though it is Omega 3's, it is the ALA kind which is extremely poorly converted to the forms that the human body uses. Other nuts are too high in Omega 6's, which pretty much require balancing with bio-available Omega 3's, again leading to too much PUFA's in the body. They also tend to be high in phytic acid which block nutrient absorption in the intestines. And finally nuts are highly calorie dense in additional to the inflammatory Omega 6's.

Occasional snacks can be gotten away with. The constant reaching and grabbing for nuts will set you back more than likely.

so any "breads" made with almond, flax or any other nuts should be avoided? What is Mark Sisson's view on this because he has a recipe for a hot primal cereal that has nuts and they are heated up in the microwave...

tarek is offline Senior Member
    "Faux" breads, cookies, cakes, and other baked goods really should only be consumed on special occasions or when you have a craving that is too hard to resist. People recommend almond meal cookies not because they are healthful, but because they are the lesser of two evils when compared to store-bought cookies.

If you're going to use any type of flour on a regular basis, try coconut flour or sprouted brown rice flour.

Heating nuts is okay, but only if it's the whole nut. The fats in nuts oxidize much faster when the nuts have been ground. Soak nuts overnight in room temperature water before using them, and don't make them the basis of your diet.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It is best to have one's nuts gently warmed in the mouth.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    It is best to have one's nuts gently warmed in the mouth.
    I know what you mean GC.
    And I'm getting sick and tired of the women at work asking for a handful of my nuts when they want a nibble.

It's strange though because many paleo recipes and books have nuts in many of the recipes and they are heated up. It doesn't say to eat them in moderation. Is this relatively new revelations that nuts exposed to heat are toxic? I'm trying to look for what Mark Sisson has said on this but can't find any column where he addresses it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Mark has nice post on eating nuts here. I avoid nuts except for an occasional treat. I very, very rarely heat them. Once in a great while I'll make almond flour pancakes or something along those lines.

Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    You can reduce the anti-nutrients in nuts by soaking them overnight then drying them in an oven on low heat for several hours. So heating them in that regard isn't bad.

But yes, I would generally concur that tree nut consumption should be limited. (Human nut consumption is another matter; there is no limit and probably everyone could use a higher dose).

dado Guest
    heating nuts is the worst thing you can do for the nut, for yourself, and for the children in africa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast