Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Confused re: Eggs & Dairy page

Suz Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey all,

I'm very new to PB but have been doing at least 80% Paleo since March. Now, this may be a stupid question but is there a core difference between PB and Paleo? I just discovered Primal a few hours ago and from what I can read the two sound very similar.

One thing that REALLY confuses me is whether or not Eggs, Milk, and Cheese are actually ok to eat. Is this primal? I've read that in the Paleo/Zone diet the yolk is actually bad for you, which is why I've stopped eating them this whole time (and I dearly loved the yolk). As for milk, I've switched to soy (although I heard soy is bad too??) and I still have a string cheese twice a day as a protein snack.

I've always been fairly healthy and once I cut out grains I did notice that I'm not as bloated and shed a pound or two. I'm currently 5'1 and weigh 125lbs and would love to get to at least 115lbs. I'm also a heavy CrossFitter. While I did mention I cut out grains, sometimes I will have half a slice of whole wheat in a day with some Almond Butter... just trying to be honest

Any tips/insight into this confusion would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Are wheat/gluten free cookies from Alternative Baking Company ok to eat from time to time??

Dollface is offline Member

Welcome to the forum, great to have you here!

Primal isn't quite the same, a little less restrictive in my mind anyway.

Yolk's are the best part and have the most nutritional benefit like more fat which is crucial! When it comes to dairy, it's pretty individual, some people are totally fine with it while others it may stall weight loss or cause other problems, you sort of have to find what works for you...but if you choose dairy make sure it's either raw unpasterised or organic is the next best.

Stay away from the Soy it's bad news, almond milk is great. And wheat/gluten free cookies... personally I would just make my own, often those 'treats' have a lot of added 'natural sugars' to them but they are still full of high sugar carbs. Grains are the worst thing for you, especially if your trying to lose weight.

Here's some good posts from Mark:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/egg-purchasing-guide/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/

Suz Guest

Wow, thank you so much! I definitely feel the same way as far as PB being less restrictive.

As for the egg tid-bit this is confusing me even more. For some reason I had believed since starting Paleo/Zone that the yolk had some sort of acid that was bad for you. But it seems from reading the forums that eggs are really good for you in the PB diet.

I think I will have to go with Organic milk. I'll be going to Asia and am weary of how I am going to find all these raw/natural foods lest translating at the grocery store!

Although, that does raise a question. Is soy that bad for you? Tofu too? Being Asian I was raised on soy and believed it to be healthy. I'll definitely read up on this as well.

Thanks for the links! I can't wait to start reading.

grandma is offline Member

Eggs: absolutely, throw the white out and eat the yoke

Dairy, I think Mark puts this in the OK category as long as it is the full fat and raw as Dollface said.

The primal law is that if you could find it, kill it, or make it yourself (or at least someone could i.e. I don't live in an area where avocados grow, but I will eat them) then it is fair game. So I think that makes dairy on the questionable end because I would like to see you milk a wild animal.

That said, I love good aged cheese and I consider it to be like a vitamin K2 supplement. I am certainly willing to accept that man has learned a thing or 2 since the paleolithic time and it is OK to indulge in foods that may have not been available to grok, but have a long track record provided they fall into the basic high-fat/protein low-carb box and could be grown in my garden, made in my kitchen, or raised in my pasture (if I had a pasture).

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Suz Guest

Grandma - thanks for your post!

Once point of clarification needed... were you kidding about throwing out the whites?!

Jedi is offline Member

i think Grandma was probably kidding, as so many people eat only whites and throw the best part, the yolk, out!! Eat eggs as nature intended, WHOLE

Suz Guest

Haha thankis Jedi. Since I'm so new to PB I HAD to ask =)

BigBeck89 Guest

"Although, that does raise a question. Is soy that bad for you? Tofu too? Being Asian I was raised on soy and believed it to be healthy. I'll definitely read up on this as well."

Soy is bad. especially the stuff here in the states. If properly fermented, the way it was traditionally done in Asia, many of the negative effects are nullified...

but being a male I really don't want any extra estrogen in my body

Madame P is offline Junior Member

From what I remember about the Paleo diet, it is not the yolk that is bad for you per se, but frying the yolk. This oxidizes the cholesterol in the yolk, which makes it bad for your heart. I always poach or boil my eggs, or make them sunny-side and runny.

grandma is offline Member

Yes I was kidding.

I think another rule of thumb is that if you could eat it raw then it is fine to eat, if not stay way. Soybeans cannot be eaten raw. This is an important rule that rules out a lot of seeds and grains.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast