Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to extra fat? page 2

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Ok, I read it again and still don't really understand it. I was never good at science anyways. Plain english.

So are you saying that if I ate say... just meat and fat, even in excess, I would lose weight? (Not that I plan on doing this, but it's really hard to wrap my brain around the concept. I like puzzles.)

Tarlach is offline Member

Yes you can eat only fat and meat in excess and lose weight.

I have seen steady weight loss with a massive abundance of calories (5000 calories a day, 80%+ fat) with zero exercise. The experiment was undertaken to check this exact theory.

Fat storage is all about the carbs, not fat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That's crazy... not crazy in that I don't believe it... just crazy that it's hard to wrap my brain around. It flies in the face of everything I've had drilled into me about weight loss.

It's like a riddle, or as if somebody just told me that grass is purple. LOL.

Thank you, Tarlach, for teaching me something new.

Tarlach is offline Member

Well it makes sense if you think about it from an evolutionary view.

If food is plentiful and you are getting lots of calories from fat, then you don't need to store fat of your own. This is why calorific deficit is so hard. The body fights to keep the fat if it thinks your are starving.

Eating calories from carbs is different though. It probably means that it is summer and you should put on fat before winter comes. The carbs then work as a seasonal trigger to store fat, independently to fat consumption..

These two forces would have kept paleo man lean unless he required fat stores for winter. It's the year round high carb (and low fat diet) that makes people fat.

It's almost impossible for people to accept, but one reason why weight loss stalls is because you aren't eating enough. It however does explains why some thin people can eat all they want, whilst fat people can get fatter whilst trying not to eat anything.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much Tarlach for your patience and willingness to teach.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Conan Guest

I disagree with Tarlach, as do nearly all of the folks who promote zone/paleo (this is the Crossfit version of PB eating). If you want to get your body fat in the low teens and single digits you absolutely have to pay attention to portion size. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, weight loss from low carb dieting will slow. You are not going to continue to lose body fat eating 5000 calories a day with no physical activity once you get to a certain point.

Tarlach, what is your current height, weight and BF% and how far are you form your ideal weight? I'm 5'11 185 and 12%-15%BF. I'm looking to lose my last 5 pounds of fat and maintain muscle.

Conan Guest

I disagree with Tarlach, as do nearly all of the folks who promote zone/paleo (this is the Crossfit version of PB eating). If you want to get your body fat in the low teens and single digits you absolutely have to pay attention to portion size. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, weight loss from low carb dieting will slow. You are not going to continue to lose body fat eating 5000 calories a day with no physical activity once you get to a certain point.

Tarlach, what is your current height, weight and BF% and how far are you form your ideal weight? I'm 5'11 185 and 12%-15%BF. I'm looking to lose my last 5 pounds of fat and maintain muscle.

Conan Guest

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

haha, well you didn't have to say it 3 times!

I have to say though... I don't think there's any way I COULD eat 5000 (or even 3000) calories a day with this way of eating. Food is just SO FILLING and I am not getting very hungry in general...

but I guess I'm just a dainty girl. haha. Maybe some guys here could eat that much.

I'm eating "whatever I want" (within the PB as well as I can be for my first week) and have been around 1600/day on average.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Jedi is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Tarlach, when you did your experiment, did you eta pretty muh zero carbs? ie no green veggies?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast