Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me Want Primal Soup! Me Want Primal Soup! page

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member

Post Me Want Primal Soup! Me Want Primal Soup!

Primal Fuel
    This always happens... every year around this time. ALL I can think about or want to eat is soup Soup SOUP! Previously, my *go to* soups included garbanzo beans, corn, lentils, quinoa, noodles, etc.

Now, I am looking for other types that I can dip into all day!

Please share your soup recipes!

Thanks in Advance!

PS. I am that one weirdo person who could GAIN weight on the cabbage soup diet JUST from eating the cabbage soup all day!!! Hahaha
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Good, old fashioned chicken soup. I don't really have a recipe per se:

Take the innards out of a whole chicken, rinse it, place it in a great big pot and fill it with water covering the chicken about 3/4. Turn it on about medium heat. Cook this slowly for hours. Please leave the skin on the chicken. Skim the top every one in a while.

Take out a great big cheesecloth and lay it flat. Peel a sweet onion, stick wholes in it and shove whole peppercorns into each whole (about 10 or 12). Place on the cheesecloth with a handful of garlic cloves and all of the innards. Tie it up and put it in the pot.

Peel and cut some carrots and celery and throw them in the pot. Peel a couple of parsnips and throw them in the pot. Wait a few hours, letting everything simmer. Please don't boil your chicken.

About 20 minutes before everything is done, throw in big bunch of dill and a big bunch of italian parsley. I like to tie mine up with some cheesecloth because I'll be fishing it out later.

When it's done fish out the herbs and the onion bag and the bigger bones. I recommend eating the offal. Watch for bones when serving. I have two little ones, so I fish all of them out. Takes a while. If you are serving older peeps, just tell them to be mindful.

Enjoy! If you still enjoy rice every now and then, I can give you my Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup) "recipe" as well.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post

Enjoy! If you still enjoy rice every now and then, I can give you my Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup) "recipe" as well.
    Please please share your Albondigas recipe ~~~

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    Please please share your Albondigas recipe ~~~
    You bet!! Again with my "recipes" unfit for the internet:

Put about a 1/2 lb of ground beef and 1/2 lb of chorizo in a bowl. I use chicken chorizo from Sprouts. Real pork chorizo from a Mexican shop honestly tastes better if you eat pork. If you can't find chorizo, just use ground turkey or pork. It's A LOT better with chorizo, though. Nitrates be damned. If you don't use chorizo, I highly recommend adding a teaspoon (or five) of crushed red peppers. Add about a 1/2 cup to a cup of WHITE rice, an egg, a whole lot of minced garlic, a minced carrot, a handful of finely chopped fresh cilantro, some salt, some pepper and about a teaspoon of cumin. Use your hands to combine ingredients. This is how you get the love in there. Roll it in to meatballs. Traditionally, they are large, but I like to make mine fairly small. Set aside.

In a large pot over medium heat, dump in 5 or 6 cups of chicken broth (preferably home-made, any broth will do), 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion, 3 or 4 stalks of chopped celery, 2 chopped zucchinis and a can of diced tomatoes. Dump in the meatballs and simmer until they are cooked. It doesn't take long, maybe 45 minutes. Simmering longer will only make it taste better. About five minutes before serving, stir in a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of dried mexican (or regular) oregano.

!Buen Provecho!
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 10-18-2011 at 01:04 PM.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    I have been enjoying pumpkin soup lately. I roasted a whole pumpkin, innards scooped out and laid face-down on baking tray for 1 hr. Meanwhile I sauteed 2 diced carrots and a diced onion until soft, added a quart of chicken bone broth, all my seasonings, all the roasted pumpkin flesh, and enough water to top it up. Let it simmer for an hour or more, then using an immersion blender (or a regular blender in batches) blend until smooth.

I've topped it with coconut milk, cumin and cinnamon, crispy bacon and red pepper. added chunks of chicken... it's good with anything.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I made turkey stock after thanksgiving this year and made curried sweet potato-cauliflower soup with it.

2 or 3 cups stock
    1 diced sweet potato
    1/4 head diced cauliflower
    1 diced onion
    salt, pepper, curry powder

Simmer til sweet potato and cauliflower are soft. Let cool then puree with an immersion blender. This is naturally a pretty creamy soup but a splash of real cream in there is very nice too!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I made this soup a couple of days ago. It has lots of dairy so it's not going into regular rotation, but it was soooooo delicious I could eat it for every meal every day. I topped mine with my version of "sprinkles"--crispy fried bits of pork belly. Also, at my local grocery, I couldn't find smoked cheddar, so I used a combination of some French smoked cheese that was super pricey, but worth every penny, and a little Swiss.

I found the recipe here:
    Island Vittles - Recipes, Photos & Stories from Pender Island

Cauliflower & Smoked Cheddar Soup

Vegetable Oil 2 Tble (30 ml)
    Medium Yellow Onion, chopped fine approx lb (225 g)
    Medium Stalk Celery, chopped fine 1
    Small Cauliflower, in 2 florets approx 1 lb (450 g)
    White Wine 1 Cup (240 ml)
    Garlic, minced 1 clove
    Bay Leaf 1
    Chicken or Vegetable Stock 1 Quart (1 L)
    Half & Half (10% Cream) Cup (180 ml)
    Egg Yolks, lightly beaten 2
    Worcestershire Sauce 1 tsp (5 ml)
    Cayenne Pepper tsp (2 ml)
    Smoked Cheddar 5 oz (150 g)
    Juice of Lemon
    s+p to taste

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over med. heat until shimmering. Add the onion and celery and sweat until translucent (no colour), about 3 to 4 minutes.
    Add the cauliflower, wine, garlic and bay leaf, season with salt & pepper, stir once, then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, stir, and cook 5 minutes more.

Add the stock and bring to a boil over med-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to med-low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower florets are tender. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaf, then use an immersion blender to puree the soup smooth.

Lightly whisk the cream and egg yolks together. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.

Pour about 1 cup of the pureed soup into the yolk mixture while whisking briskly. When well combined, stir the yolk mixture back into the soup. Reheat the soup over med-low, stirring often to avoid scorching. Slowly incorporate the cheese, stirring well and allowing each addition to melt before adding more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with the lemon juice, then taste and season again.

Serve immediately with the garnish of your choice
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have been on a Tom Kha Kung ((occasionally Kai) jag recently. A great and very tasty Thai soup, all primal, lots of coconut milk, even some fish sauce which is usually just anchovy.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member

How About Chili?

Easy Beanless Chili
    Recipe by Healthy Living How To

Prep Time: 2 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Servings: 4

Ingredients
    • 1 lb. Whole Foods Grass Fed Ground Beef
    • 2 c. Trader Joe's Organic Beef Stock
    • 1 c. Costco Organic Salsa
    • 4 Tbsp. McCormick Chili Powder
    • 2 Tbsp. Hershey's Dark Cocoa Powder
    • 2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

Cooking Directions

1. Brown and drain meat and return to pan.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
    3. Reduce to low and keep stirring until thick.

Serve in a squash bowl!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I make a simple primal stew that I freeze into portions and eat every day. I sort of hate meat, but love this, so this is my way of getting my protein.
    • Start with 2 quarts stock. (or if you don't have stock, go with boullion... good luck finding primal boullion though.)
    • Add 1/2T pepper, 1/2t powdered bay leaf, 1/2t garlic powder, 1/2t thyme (or whatever amounts you prefer.)
    • Add diced vegetables: 1 bunch celery, 1 lb baby carrots, 2 yellow onions
    • Cook until the vegetables are mostly tender.
    • Add ground meat, breaking it up as you go so it is separated: 2 or 3 lbs total of beef and chicken.
    • Cook till the meat is done.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast