Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: miracle noodle: a stupid ploy? page 2

Kaizen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I never said it was primal, just irritated me that everyone jumps on the negative band wagon when they're clearly trying to market a healthy food. It's basically pure fiber, it's good for you, but by primal standards it's not something "allowed". Mark himself said it, it's a sensible vice, and good substitute if you want some good noodles. Personally I'd rather have a nice bowl of soba noodles, but that's me.

Anyways, clever marketing doesn't make something less or more primal. How many ads have we seen for water? or back when they used to have so many commercials/ads for beef. Lots of healthy foods get marketed, doesn't mean they're less primal. How about we suggest if their primal, by the actual food?

MightyMite is offline Member

Personally I love these noodles as part of Sukiyaki; they absorb the flavor of the broth. But then again I got them when I was growing up in So Cal; we had to make special trips to J Town to get stuff like this.

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

Anyways, clever marketing doesn&#39;t make something less or more primal. How many ads have we seen for water? or back when they used to have so many commercials/ads for beef. Lots of healthy foods get marketed, doesn&#39;t mean they&#39;re less primal. How about we suggest if their primal, by the actual food? </blockquote>

My comment was not completely inclusive; rather, it is just a general rule of thumb that I find helpful. Food marketing generally follows food processing. The basic tenets of a primal diet are whole animal products and vegetables, none of which require any sort of processing by food manufacturers.

The beef industry&#39;s advertising campaign is still an example of marketing unhealthy food, as this promotes factory-farmed cattle. While not nearly as detrimental as HFCS-laden cereals and such, factory-farmed beef is still not an ideal food source.

Also, what about these noodles is actually good for you? Fiber is overrated, and the utter lack of any caloric or nutritive value leaves me wondering where the actual benefit lies. I suppose if you eat only to fill your belly, perhaps you may find some good in them. However, if you are eating to nourish your body, these noodles are nothing more than a worthless marketing ploy.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

"However, if you are eating to nourish your body, these noodles are nothing more than a worthless marketing ploy. "

but do the noodles&#39; packages/advertising claim to nourish your body?? I don&#39;t think they do. I think they claim to "nothing" your body, which is about what they do... you eat them, then you poop them out (mmm fiber).

I think they&#39;re for people who want noodles without actually wanting NOODLES and everything that comes with noodles... so yeah, just to chew, and fill your belly, but not worry about calories/carbs/insulin/whatnot.

Still, I&#39;m with you in principle. I&#39;d rather nourish my body most of the time, so I&#39;m not likely to ever eat these nothing noodles.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

but do the noodles&#39; packages/advertising claim to nourish your body?? I don&#39;t think they do. I think they claim to "nothing" your body, which is about what they do...</blockquote>

Good point; in truth, the marketing is accurate as the noodles really do the nothing that they promise. My response was more directed at Kaizen&#39;s statement, which I should have included for clarity:
    [quote]

...everyone jumps on the negative band wagon when they&#39;re clearly trying to market a healthy food. It&#39;s basically pure fiber, it&#39;s good for you... </blockquote>

I just don&#39;t understand how something that is a complete nutritional void can be considered a healthy food that is good for you.

Of course, in no way am I advocating only strictly consuming food for nutrition purposes all of the time. But I guess that I prefer my visceral pleasures with a flavor of cocoa or pinot noir.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I didn&#39;t realize those were Shirataki noodles. I&#39;ve been wanting to try them but I can never find any that&#39;s made made without tofu.

I agree that it&#39;s not primal, but it&#39;s hardly the worst thing you can eat if you want some noodles. It&#39;s just for texture, really.

Besides, it comes from Japan. So it&#39;s automatically good hehe.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Kaizen Guest

Also, what about these noodles is actually good for you? Fiber is overrated, and the utter lack of any caloric or nutritive value leaves me wondering where the actual benefit lies. I suppose if you eat only to fill your belly, perhaps you may find some good in them. However, if you are eating to nourish your body, these noodles are nothing more than a worthless marketing ploy.

It&#39;s fiber, and they never mention anything about "nourishing your body". People don&#39;t eat these alone, they&#39;re mixed with other foods. I&#39;ve had these while living in Japan. Worthless marketing ploy? Just because you don&#39;t like them doesn&#39;t mean their worthless. It&#39;s been around longer than most people think. Just because it&#39;s not packed with nutritious food doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s bad for you. Yes it is processed, but it doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s bad for you either. Anyways, Raphael when I was in Japan I bought them in these bags basically packed with water. You can probably find them in Asian food stores. Honestly they&#39;re alright, don&#39;t expect anything amazing. Try some Soba noodles instead, least if you&#39;re going to eat noodles eat the better kind. Oh and ditto on the stuff from Japan, god I miss that place.

gazb is offline Junior Member

The fact that it&#39;s pure fibre means eating a lot can&#39;t be good for you... it&#39;s definitely worse to eat too much fibre than too little.

Brit is offline Junior Member

Technically speaking, I don&#39;t even think this is food. Doesn&#39;t "food" have to have caloric content? It&#39;s like trying to live on only water...can&#39;t happen.

I guess if your craving spagetti or ramen, it may be a better alternative...if you want your meal to be in the 80% category...

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

It&#39;s fiber, and they never mention anything about "nourishing your body". </blockquote>

Kaizen, you said that these noodles were good for people. Like I said, fiber is overrated. Besides being a complete nutritional void, the excessive fiber content of these noodles may actually be detrimental to the digestive system.
    [quote]

It&#39;s been around longer than most people think. </blockquote>

Wheat products have been around quite a long time, as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast