Thread: Found this fibromyalgia diet.... page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Found this fibromyalgia diet....

Primal Fuel
    Reducing Fibromyalgia Symptoms with Diet: Empowering Self ?

It's from a book apparently. looks very like low carb paleo to me. I wonder how many people out there are finding their way to a paleo style diet, to heal health issues like fibro (and the low starch diet for AS). Glad the info is out there.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading about that same diet when I was first diagnosed with fibro. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons I found my way here, I wish I had paid more attention at the time! I know that when I get sloppy with my diet, my fibro gets much worse. Right now I'm getting back on track, I have been a mess and I know I need to get my eating back to 100% to feel better again.

At least now I know what to do and how to fix things a bit when I get off track.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Project-Frankie is offline Junior Member
    Well that's good news! I've had fibro for 20 years. The best I've felt in years was when I started a low carb diet for weight loss a few years ago. Now I've found my way to paleo and am doing just that. Low carb paleo. Only 2 weeks. Fatigue wise feeling bright and clear. Energy has improved. Neck and shoulders is another matter!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I was never DXd with fibro but many of the symptoms, including the pain points, fit. Especially in the hips, knees and elbows. And it's funny, years ago when I tried a low-carb diet the first time I felt great for the first time in I don't know how long. Yes, I found my way to primal due to these health issues. Oh, and the number one food that will make me flare (pain and neuropathy) the fastest is corn, which is also incredibly hard to avoid. Avoiding processed foods is a big help, but even foods you wouldn't think have it, have it. Here's a list, if you don't have one already. Corn Allergen List - Corn Allergens

Low carb is definitely the way to go. Can NOT believe the increase in energy levels. Corn? I never thought about that. I'm off it now. Didn't eat a lot but obviously it's hidden in a lot of things.. Trying to avoid ALL processed foods if I can Cheers

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Project-Frankie View Post
    Low carb is definitely the way to go. Can NOT believe the increase in energy levels. Corn? I never thought about that. I'm off it now. Didn't eat a lot but obviously it's hidden in a lot of things.. Trying to avoid ALL processed foods if I can Cheers
    It's weird. I'm gluten intolerant, if I eat it I get the usual symptoms, digestive, fog, fatigue. I used to eat a lot of corn but when I had to go back on gluten to be tested for Celiac (I couldn't eat it long enough to have accurate tests as it made me too sick) suddenly corn was off limits. But the symptoms are different. Neuropathy and fibro type pain. I think that corn is a major part of fibro, as is gluten. Gluten opens the tight junctions in the gut and corn triggers the fibro reaction.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    I just read a book called "Power Up Your Brain", the author is a neurologist (can't remember the name), and he mentioned a low carb life style to help with brain and nerve disorders. He claims it helps build your gluthione (sp) levels. He also recommended getting tested for gluten intolerance.

I haven't gone 'primal' before but I have done low carb and always felt better. I did suspect for a while it was either wheat or gluten. My brain feels awesome in ketosis )