Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder page

TriGirl is offline Member

Protein Powder

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,
    I know protein powder is not primal, and I know it has been discussed before but I couldn't find an answer to this so I figured I would try again.
    I have recently started to experiment with protein powder cooking since I am not much of a shake drinker and this is the easiest way to get my recovery stuff after workouts (Triathlon). My question is if the 100% whey protein is bad in terms of wanting to lean out? Is it ok as an easy snack as well? Or should I limit it to the post workout phase?
    Lonnie

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Whey protein won't make you fat. In fact, it tends to promote the opposite. You get all the wonderful insulin without the blood sugar surge. It's a lousy meal replacement IMO and I'd always recommend whole foods vs a protein shake "meal", but it can't be beat for post-workout.

Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

That article is a great read and will put your mind at ease. Any blood sugar rise is basically mitigated by a following glucagon spike, so it's not like an insulin surge from sugar. Even people that are a metabolic wreck tend to handle insulin spikes from whey protein just fine. It seems to help diabetics if anything.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Thank you so much, that was just the information that I needed.

For what it's worth, if you need a meal replacement shake, I firmly believe whey is a poor choice. I don't see the point of the massive insulin spike without working out and whey is notorious for its near-immediate digestibility (which is why it's so darn good post-workout), so it's lousy for keeping you full. If you absolutely need a meal replacement shake, I recommend something with fat, carbs and a slow-digesting protein. Raw free range eggs would be best, but I understand if you don't want to go that route. I would use either casein or egg protein mixed in whole grass-fed milk (or coconut milk if you don't do dairy) with berries, cinnamon (to reduce the insulin surge) and unsweetened cocoa powder. It's delicious, you get carbs for quick energy, slow-digesting protein to keep you going and fat to keep you full.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    I was on the Whey Protein PWO kick for a while, then I got smart about MSG. Even though nearly all the Whey Protein mixes say 'No MSG", an inherent part of the processing creates free glutamic acids to the mixture. Free Glutamic Acids, like MSG, are excitotoxins which are damaging to brain neurons. If you get a concussion with excitotoxin damage in your brain it will set you up nicely for Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's, and Parkinson's. It seems to me that young, healthy, athletic people should do whatever they can to protect their brains from injury as you are likely to get knocked on the head more than others. NFL CONCUSSIONS AND DIET | Jack Kruse or http://jackkruse.com/msg-your-gut-an...n-post-trauma/

MSG is one of the biggest problems with "processed" foods. It is a flavor enhancer and literally addicts you to the food containing it. I think this issue will really come to the forefront as soon as the money being made on it dries up or some new legislation is written. Hidden Sources of MSG
    Last edited by otzi; 10-18-2011 at 12:43 PM.

meatismyfriend is offline Junior Member
    I'm also a triathlete, and I never use whey protein. I eat a ton of animal protein, even post workout. There's no reason to sub in a protein powder instead of real food.

There is also no reason you need to eat immediately post workout if you had a meal pre-workout, at least not right away. Snacks are pointless, but if you want to have a snack, pick higher fat options like coconut butter/oil - not whey protein.

If you use whey protein, I would make sure you get it from a microfiltrated, cold processed, grass-fed source. Here's a good brand.

Amazon.com: Whey Protein Isolate Original - 1.1 lb - Powder: Health & Personal Care

I've had even more success with using collagen protein, which is more bioavailable and better for your joints. It also comes with none of the negative side effects of whey protein that some people get like acne.

Here's what I use.

Collagen | Body Performance | UpgradedSelf.com

Hope this helps!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Choco on that one. TrueProtein.com has good deals on bulk whey. I like to order mine without sweetener or flavoring so, I can do what I want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by meatismyfriend View Post
    I'm also a triathlete, and I never use whey protein. I eat a ton of animal protein, even post workout. There's no reason to sub in a protein powder instead of real food.
    That's not true at all. My recovery is greatly impacted if I don't take whey after heavy lifting sessions. I tried taking a full week off from whey and subbing in real food and it was like getting hit by a truck. The fact is, whey is the fastest absorbing and most bioavailable protein there is. Nothing else can compare. Whey ranks a '104' in terms of bioavailability while beef, by comparison, only ranks a '79', and it'll take much longer to absorb as well. We won't even get into vegetable-based proteins, which normally rank in the 60's. If you have a demanding workout schedule involving heavy weights, it's very difficult to replace whey. Being a triathlete, your muscles and central nervous system and muscle fibers won't go through the stress and strain that 90 minutes of complex total body heavy weight training will put you through. I never take any protein after endurance sessions, and that's what triathletes mainly subject their body to.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Normally I would eat real food after most of my training sessions, but the next 5 months I'll be living with two other persons, and I am finding it rather difficult to only have a very limited fridge space (Already rather easy to see recognize my shelves from the two others ;-) ). So I am trying to find some alternatives that make it some what easier to stay primal at the moment.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I was on the Whey Protein PWO kick for a while, then I got smart about MSG. Even though nearly all the Whey Protein mixes say 'No MSG", an inherent part of the processing creates free glutamic acids to the mixture. Free Glutamic Acids, like MSG, are excitotoxins which are damaging to brain neurons. If you get a concussion with excitotoxin damage in your brain it will set you up nicely for Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's, and Parkinson's. It seems to me that young, healthy, athletic people should do whatever they can to protect their brains from injury as you are likely to get knocked on the head more than others. NFL CONCUSSIONS AND DIET | Jack Kruse or Are you at risk for hamster brains? | Jack Kruse

MSG is one of the biggest problems with "processed" foods. It is a flavor enhancer and literally addicts you to the food containing it. I think this issue will really come to the forefront as soon as the money being made on it dries up or some new legislation is written. Hidden Sources of MSG
    excitotoxins, ugh.

Glutamic acid plays an essential role in our nervous system as a neurotransmitter, as well as being part of the metabolism of proteins, and is present in nearly all sources of dietary protein as well as other flavorful foods.

The breakdown and metabolism of proteins in our digestive tract is entirely separate from the actions of specific amino acids within cells IN OUR BRAIN. I've yet to see any non-quack science indicating that dietary glutamic acid consumption (in either free or protein bound forms) can increase levels of Glutamic Acid within our nervous system (the only way it could act as an "excitotoxin")

Furthermore, it seems most of the groups decrying the evils of refined MSG are at the same time ignoring or even encouraging the consumption of "natural" foods loaded with Glutamate, and traditional long cooking methods that encourage free glutamic acid
    (find me an anti-MSG crusader that's equally against aged cheeses, homemade beef or bone stocks, stewed tomatoes, or broths made from seaweed, fish or mushrooms)
    Last edited by Fury; 10-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast