Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The easiest diet in the world page 2

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I believe it's kind of a hybrid reality, like everything else. I've tried being extremely restrictive (800 a day, zone-ish macronutrient ratios) to extremely low carb and not caring about calories at all (i went all out primal last august ate like crazy for a month). Of course, I lost weight eating 800 a day and gained eating like a starved wolf. That's one thing that kinda gets me about everyone saying they eat with abandon -- it didn't work for me. But the thing was, on the low cal diet I was sick and moody all the time, lost my period, etc etc. The turning point came when I realized I needed to eat for health, not for looks. Having been at both extremes I'm now able to find a happy medium between strict calories in/calories out and total bacon frenzy. I do count calories, but just because I know myself and that works for me. But I don't keep them unreasonably low and eat primally to the best of my ability.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

I agree with bogusjourney-its about finding what works best for you.

I've gottten tired of the chronic cardio, low fat regimen, and I've gained weight eating to satisfaction with zc, high fat (while others have succeeded with this). Each person is different, and there's a bit of trial and error involved in finding the best way of eating.

That being said, we should be aiming for health. If you try eating fast food consistently, weight/calorie balance won'be be your biggest problem. (There's also energy level, immune system, mood to consider..)

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I think I'm better off not counting calories or trying to determine calorie burn during exercise, but watching carb intake and portion size. That's the biggest thing for me. I maintain or lose weight when I am mindful of portions and eat intuitively (i.e. if I don't feel like it then I don't and somedays I eat more). Eating intuitively and calorie counting clash for me.

Calorie counting just leads me to be anal retentive and obsessive about my food. Ugh.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

When I've counted calories in the past, I've found myself eating more processed food. I didn't lose any weight, & to be honest, I felt like crap. Since counting carbs, which isn't hard in the slightest as long as I stay away from grains, I feel fabulous, I'm not hungry all the time, & the food I'm eating is generally made from fresh, whole foods.

Ironically, because LIVESTRONG.com counts both carbs & calories, in keeping my carbs under 100, I'm far below my allotment for calories, & obviously, I'm losing weight. But I honestly can't imagine eating more than I already am! Eggs, bacon, salad, chicken, roasted veggies... why would I want a quarter-pounder with cheese anyways?

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Kaizen Guest

I think for the most part counting calories won't do much for you unless you're trying to really "go against" your natural body type. Like if you're trying to build more muscle than you'd naturally have, then counting calories would help you out. Personally I eat primal and don't count calories, and I loosely follow how many carbs I have which tends to stay below 100g and I've been doing good so far. So I'm a firm believer it's the foods you eat, rather than the quantity.

JamieRose is offline Member

I stopped counting calories completely when I went more primal, and I lost quite a bit of weight (switched from high carb to LCHF). I think I consume more calories now, actually, so quality def. trumps quantity for me.

Stress and sleep play really big roles too... I think you can eat the best diet in the world and have a really hard time losing anything if you're stressed all the time. Same with if you are constantly sleep deprived. Like others have said, the human body is so much more complex than that. Keeping a positive outlook on life and an active social life helps, too.

You are all so smart! Love it.

I'm currently watching this as I read this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

jwint Guest

SHASTAGIRL . . . you say . . . " i dont count calories. calorie in calorie out is a myth. a calorie is not a calorie. 100 calories of dietary fructose is not a 100 calories of dietary fat (obviously). they are simply not metabolized the same way by the liver and other organs infact fructose isnt used by any organs and is processed by the liver into body fat almost only. and yet people will think, for eg, lets see a 750 calorie chocolate shake from jack in the box or a 750 calorie prime rib in my calorie count. they are both 750 calories but they are completely different! not that any PBers here would think that way since they know better but some people do not unfortunately . . . . "

I agree that macronutrients are handled differently by the body and they serve different functions. But are you saying that if a person is eating less than his daily caloric requirement (basal rate + activity) he will still put on weight just because of what he eats?

I find that hard to believe. For example, let's say you ate three Jack In The Box shakes @ 750 calories each (2250 cal) but your total requirement was 3000/day.

I find it hard to believe that the body would store fat when it wasn't getting sufficient energy.

I believe that you will lose weight on a chocolate shake diet . . . BUT IT'S NOT A HEALTHY WAY TO DO IT!

Most of you are saying that all calories are not the same . . . but that doesn't make sense either.

A calorie is "the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by 1 C." (wikipedia)

The body requires so many calories to operate and it gets that energy from what it carries around or what it gets through digestion.

Even the most ardent Atkins or Protein Power follower will admit that most weight loss from a low carb diet comes from the fact that reducing carbs reduces TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE . . . which some of you here actually admit has happened to you.

It's happened to me too . . . when I eat low carb like primal, or some more restrictive plan, I tend to eat less total calories.

In the end . . . I truly believe that you will gain weight if you eat an UNLIMITED primal diet . . . just like you can gain weight on Atkins if you eat UNLIMITED prime rib.

In the end . . . I think . . . it ALWAYS comes back to the caloric/energy balance.

I thank you all for your responses. I'm trying to read all of Mark's posts. So if I'm asking something that's been answered elsewhere please let me know.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

"I agree that macronutrients are handled differently by the body and they serve different functions. But are you saying that if a person is eating less than his daily caloric requirement (basal rate + activity) he will still put on weight just because of what he eats?"

Yes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1487661765149#

Watch that.

It's long but will teach you so much. (and he explains how you can be eating less than your caloric requirements, while obese but still starving because your body can't access your body fat for fuel).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [quote]

I believe that you will lose weight on a chocolate shake diet . . . BUT IT'S NOT A HEALTHY WAY TO DO IT!/

[quote]

Very True.

My best friends are model-thin and surive by sporadically eating burgers, donuts..but they couldn't sprint for their lives.

It&#39;s about health and how you feel. Weight loss is about hormonal conditions + calorie intake. Best to pick a diet that will benefit you for a lifetime.</blockquote></blockquote>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast