Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best way to increase omega-3's in my situation? page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

Whats the best way to increase omega-3's in my situation?

Shop Now
    I'm in college and I get most of my food from the dining halls. It's good stuff, plenty of veggies and its really easy to eat primal. The only thing off is my omega 6:3 ratio...

My ratio is probably not horrible because I avoid things that are obviously cooked in (probably canola) oil, but I definantly feel like my omega-3's should be beefed up a bit. They rarley serve seafood. They have tuna but it's already mixed wih a buttload of mayo.

So i'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy something from the supermarket, but i'm not sure what.

What would be the cheapest source of omega-3's I can stock up on? My nutrition teacher reccomended a handful of mixed nuts everyday, but I know that most nuts have a bad ratio.

What about tuna or sardines? Should they be packed in water? usually they're packed in sunflower or olive oil or something.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Canned wild salmon would be a good choice. It's easy to find packed in just water. In fact, I don't think I have found it any other way.

how often should I eat a can, everday or a few times a week?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I eat fish (salmon - which I loathe) once or twice a week (about 300g each time). With not consuming vegetable oils, but still eating a handful of nuts every couple days, my o63 ratio is about 3:1. As long as the canned salmon is pacific, wild caught you are ok. If it's Atlantic wild it's still considered farm raised (for our purposes) because the salmon are fed by humans before they are caught, most of the time at least.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    As long as the canned salmon is pacific, wild caught you are ok. If it's Atlantic wild it's still considered farm raised (for our purposes).
    +1. Look for Wild Alaskan salmon. I try to eat fish twice a week.

If you are dining in a dining hall, it is fair to assume that your meat is cooked in vegetable oils, so you may want to supplement with high-quality cod liver oil as well.

yeah i'll hit up a supermarket and see whatsup with cod liver oil...hopefully the taste will be worth the health benifits

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    yeah i'll hit up a supermarket and see whatsup with cod liver oil...hopefully the taste will be worth the health benifits
    I use Garden of Life. It's not too bad, even my kids don't mind the taste.

King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil are the best, IMO. Very tasty and inexpensive.

I'm not a fan of canned salmon, but that's my personal taste.

A good cod liver oil lasts a while and is economical.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil are the best, IMO. Very tasty and inexpensive.
    How much are they in your neck of the woods? They're around 3 bucks/can here I think, while regular sardines are closer to $1/can. The best bang for your buck that I've found in the canned fish department is canned mackerel.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    How much are they in your neck of the woods? They're around 3 bucks/can here I think, while regular sardines are closer to $1/can. The best bang for your buck that I've found in the canned fish department is canned mackerel.
    Costco has them on sale right now, $1.50 each in a 4-pack, usually $2 each.

Some brands of sardines are just... blecch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast