Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef fed grass AND corn? page

impala454 is offline Senior Member

Beef fed grass AND corn?

I go to a really great local butcher, real mom & pop family owned place. After going primal I asked them if they had grass fed beef, and their response was that their source is actually a mix of grass and corn feed. Has anyone heard of this? Is grass + corn better than just corn, or does the mix negate the benefits?

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    all cows (that are going to be sent to a CAFO farm) are raised on grass till they are sent to the CAFO farm where they are then fed just corn, soybeans and other garbage to fatten them up.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 10-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    A while back, I dated a guy that raised his own food. He said most beef is corn "finished" because the corn fattens them up, and most people like the taste of corn finished beef better anyway.

If you can find grass finished, I think it's supposed to be better for you (don't quote me on it) but it's going to be a little bit harder to find.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The nutrition profile of the animal changes radically depending on what they were fed in the last couple of months of life. It's economical for most farmers to raise most cows on pasture and then move them to a feedlot (corn and soy) before slaughter. The reason is that grass is "free food" but the market demands fatter animals slaughtered young, and corn-based feed will make a young cow obese very quickly - it also makes them sick and eventually will kill them, but we kill and eat them before that happens (usually).
    Basically, "grass + corn" = standard conventional farming practices unless you hear otherwise.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    all cows are raised on grass till they are sent to the CAFO farm where they are then fed just corn, soybeans and other garbage to fatten them up.
    This is patently false.

It is true that CAFO-raised beef start on grass, but not all beef is CAFO-raised.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The nutrition profile of the animal changes radically depending on what they were fed in the last couple of months of life. It's economical for most farmers to raise most cows on pasture and then move them to a feedlot (corn and soy) before slaughter. The reason is that grass is "free food" but the market demands fatter animals slaughtered young, and corn-based feed will make a young cow obese very quickly - it also makes them sick and eventually will kill them, but we kill and eat them before that happens (usually).
    Basically, "grass + corn" = standard conventional farming practices unless you hear otherwise.
    Raising cattle on grain is also cheaper than waiting for grass to grow, moving cows amongst paddocks, and other labor- and time-intensive activities. Fattening cows quickly is profitable, but the critical phase in terms of omega 3:6, CLA, vitamin D, vitamin E, et al., is the final month. Cows phased over to corn for fattening could be grass-fed otherwise, but lose all benefit in that final month.

Cows given a mixed diet of corn and grass? Figure that any ratio of less than 100% grass/silage-fed is going to diminish the final outcome. So, half corn-fed and half grass-fed will be better than 100% corn but worse than 100% grass.

Me? I'd say pass, thank you. There are plenty of farmers who raise their beeves the old-fashioned way.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Yes, if you look around I bet you can find 100% grass-fed beef. It will be more expensive though. Cows were not meant to eat corn!!!

Check Eat Wild, Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food, and your local farmers' markets. If you have a large freezer and can buy in bulk, the price is every bit as eceonomical as store-bought CAFO beef.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately they lose the bulk of the Omega 3 in 30 days on corn:
    5 Ways to Grass-fed Beef Cooking Nirvana / Guest Post from the Food Renegade

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the info. I'll see what I can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast