Thread: Please Explain page

Please Explain

Primal Fuel
    Can someone explain to me how the body processes fat? People say fat makes you fat. Yet most of the ones saying it cant explain it to me. So how does our body processes fat that does or doesnt make us fat?

hbmcracer is offline Member
    look for the youtube video "The Big Fat Fiasco"

Fat doesn't make you fat.
    Last edited by hbmcracer; 10-18-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: remove misleading statement
    July 25 - 231.4
    Aug 25 - 220
    Sep 26 - 214
    Oct 26 - 208.8

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Here's a start. Also, comb the archives here. You'll find what you need!
    Why We Get Fat - Gary Taubes at OSUMC - YouTube

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My physiological knowledge isn't good enough to explain precisely how we process fat. The medical establishment started preaching that fat made you fat in the 80s. The logic behind that was fat has more kcal per gram than the other macronutrients, protein and carbohydrates. However, fat is also very satiating and does not cause insulin spikes the way carbohydrates, and to a lesser extent protein, do.

Insulin moves nutrients into cells. This is a good thing. However, if your insulin is frequently high due to high carbohydrate intake, your body will be in storage mode storing that extra fuel as fat. Carbohydrates have more power to drive fat storage in the body than dietary fat. What's more, it is difficult to overconsume fat in the absence of added carbohydrate. Our bodies just don't feel like eating more when we've had enough fat.

Carbs, especially wheat, get us on a cycle of elevated blood sugar, insulin spikes, blood sugar crashes, and increased appetite. When we moved to the current diet model (~300g of carbs per day and eating every few hours) we started to see obesity rates skyrocket. They're still preaching that we're fat because we're eating too much fat and not exercising enough, but Americans are eating less fat than ever and exercising more than we did in the 70s. I was a kid in the 70s. People didn't work out, cooked in butter, and were a heck of a lot slimmer than they were today. Dinner was meat, maybe a potato or a little rice, and pile of veg with a big pat of butter on it. Snacking between meals and eating sweets was discouraged. You hardly ever saw an obese child. There were people who were chubby, but seeing a morbidly obese person was rare. *waves cane*

This is not to say that all carbs are evil and must be avoided completely. We just need to be smart about it. Mark advises not going over 150g for weight maintenance and to go lower, say 50-100g for weight loss. Of course, bodies vary. Some people who are very active do better with more, especially post work out. And the source of carbohydrate counts. Sugar, especially fructose, wreaks havoc in your body but primal carbs like tubers are quite healthy. Grains and legumes come with all sorts of other pitfalls like lectins, phytic acid, amylopectin A (wheat), and proteins that our bodies often react to (like gluten).

Once people set their protein and carb targets for their body composition goals, most can easily make up the rest with fat for a satisfying diet. The quality of the fat also counts. Our modern commercial vegetable and seed oils are highly inflammatory. So while a high-fat diet is often a very healthy one, if the fats you're eating are inflammatory you will likely find yourself will all sorts of other problems. High carbs and bad fats lead to many of the diseases of civilization which are so common now: heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune conditions. Sadly, mainstream health providers still preach against saturated fat, which is quite healthy when you get it from a natural source such as animals that have been raised on an appropriate diet. For more on healthy fats, you may want to read this. And definitely check out The Big Fat Fiasco like hbmcracer said.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Good explanation Daisy.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.