Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best first paleo/primal book? page

namelesswonder is online now Moderator

Best first paleo/primal book?

Primal Fuel
    What would you recommend as THE BEST introductory book for a primal/paleo lifestyle & way of eating? Yes, I'm preparing for the future when someone might ask me about how I stay so healthy and cured my depression & anxiety naturally... Not there yet.

I've read TPB, but I don't think it would be convincing for my parents (they have kept their "winter weight" for the whole year and my dad's side has a history of blood pressure issues & heart disease so I worry for them). I'm thinking something by Gary Taubes, but my budget has not allowed for even me to get & read his books yet. I thought maybe "Wheat Belly" would be good, but from the reviews I've read from the Primal community, it sounds a bit too sensationalist to really convince someone who is completely immersed in CW & SAD health patterns.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    I can't recommend a book, but I would love to hear what titles others recommend as I have the same question. I've read Wheat Belly, however, and although I don't think it's sensationalistic, it is a big dose of science, science, and more science, and not a lot of 'this is what works and this is how to do it'.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking about the same thing. I've read many of the most prominent books, and I need one to give to my mom. She is starting to be a little more open to how I eat now, especially since she's heard a couple of doctors say how healthy I am since eating Primal. I'd like to keep her around for a long while (she's 76 with health problems, on a lot of meds), so I'm probably going to give her Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

I do think it depends on the person you're giving it to, though. This book is more her style, but there are others that I think would benefit more from something like Wheat Belly or Primal Blueprint. I just think she wouldn't relate well to these two.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I started with the PB, then the Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf), next is the PB 21-day Transformation!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think TPB is the best starter book, IMO. For a younger crowd, maybe Robb Wolf's book. Gary Taubes is really dry and hard to get through - even the 'dumbed down version' - so if they aren't into nutrition I wouldn't start them there. Plus, he's not really "paleo/primal" per se.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I think TPB is the best starter book, IMO. For a younger crowd, maybe Robb Wolf's book. Gary Taubes is really dry and hard to get through - even the 'dumbed down version' - so if they aren't into nutrition I wouldn't start them there. Plus, he's not really "paleo/primal" per se.
    Yeah, I find Mark's approach to really be the best. I haven't read Paleo Solution but remember people complaining about the science and some of Robb's "tangents" or something like that (it was divided between people that liked his podcast and those that didn't).. currently reading Primal Body Primal Mind and wouldn't recommend as a starter at all, also given the tag line "beyond the paleo diet for health and longevity" (something like that) so it assumes one is already aware of Paleo at least somewhat. It's a really heavy book, not apt for newcomers.

I haven't read the Perfect Health Diet but that got pretty good reviews and seems to be more "balanced" as far as what's okay and not okay to eat, they are the people behind those "safe starches" after all. I don't think the book chooses sides between paleo and primal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd say TBP is the way to go...

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Art De Vany's book the New Evolution Diet has won me 4 converts... It's light and concise but he's by far the smartest of the paleo bloggers, and his condition at his age reinforces the message. However the approach is not quite the same as the PB (more like The Paleo Solution), but the similarities are far greater than the differences.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    Art De Vany's book the New Evolution Diet has won me 4 converts... It's light and concise but he's by far the smartest of the paleo bloggers, and his condition at his age reinforces the message. However the approach is not quite the same as the PB (more like The Paleo Solution), but the similarities are far greater than the differences.
    Good point that for older folk it may be a better read since they could relate to the author better... I thumbed through it at a bookstore once and decided not to pick it up.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Probably Mark's brand new book - The 21 Day Total Body Transformation. I have not bought or read because I figure I'm past it and don't have anyone to give it to.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Part of the trouble is I need something that really explains well why wheat & corn & soy are bad, even though mainstream media & "health officials" say it's part of a balanced diet. And gods the obsession with FIBER. With my mom in mind in particular, she worries that I don't get enough fiber in my diet, and when vitamins came up the other day, she did not understand why soy is bad for you. It's been long enough since I read TPB that I can't recall how extensively Mark explains these things.

Video recommendations would be great too. I remember liking "Fathead" and I think that might be a good introduction for my parents.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast