Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best first paleo/primal book? page 2

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I started with The Paleo Solution. I liked it because Robb kept it fairly light when he could, and cut right to business most of the time. The issue I personally had with it is that I tend to get weighed down by science, so when he (or anyone) starts getting into the heavy science of it, my eyes glaze over and I have to re-read those sections four times until they sink in. For a newbie, I think it has one really great message: We could tell you why it works, but instead why don't you just try it for 30 days and decide for yourself if you want to do it or not?

I think if I were going to start a new convert - like, say, my parents - I'd probably start with something like Wheat Belly. Something to really "shock and awe" a person into at least embracing a change. Then I'd move to Why We Get Fat, since weight loss/management is probably one of the biggest drivers for most people. Then I'd go with the Paleo Solution.

I think The Primal Blueprint is a good finishing book because it lightens the whole thing up and really encompasses a fulfilling lifestyle. I read Mark's book after I read all of the big sciency guys, and I found it to be a refreshing and light read that really helped sooth my brain after all the biochem it had just absorbed. It was a nice finishing note that gave me positive reinforcement to go forth. And it's the one I flip through and reference most often.

pcg
    pcg is offline Junior Member
    de Vany is VERY convincing in his book about wheat & corn & soy avoidance. I'd strongly recommend Art's book if your mother ever reads non-fiction. As noted above, it's a tremendously concise read & I'm sure that Mark Sisson, if asked, would quickly admit that de Vany has been very influential in shaping his own thinking. A 4-star book.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    Art De Vany's book the New Evolution Diet has won me 4 converts... It's light and concise but he's by far the smartest of the paleo bloggers, and his condition at his age reinforces the message. However the approach is not quite the same as the PB (more like The Paleo Solution), but the similarities are far greater than the differences.
    Heh - went to go order it for my Kindle and found I already had. 6 months ago, but it got lost in the shuffle. Okay, I admit it - I've got 515 books on my Kindle and I haven't even had it a year.

sigh
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Heh - went to go order it for my Kindle and found I already had. 6 months ago, but it got lost in the shuffle. Okay, I admit it - I've got 515 books on my Kindle and I haven't even had it a year.

sigh
    That's funny, I've done that too... Too easy to spend money these days.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    That's funny, I've done that too... Too easy to spend money these days.
    Sending OWS to your door-step.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read it yet so cannot recommend it but for the price w/ giveaways I ordered 3 copies of the new book. 2 already earmarked and then perhaps I'll get my copy of the original back.

I found Taubes' Why We Get Fat to be a concise, easy read and while some here quibble w/ the science as a layperson I found it informative. I especially like the treatment of the blame the patient/moralistic tone that so much of the bad advice takes. People come to this from many different directions but fat folks need to hear that message.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    The Paleo Diet, by Loren Cordain -- This was the book that launched a million words; that is, it is the book that set the paleo diet on the proverbial map.

The Paleo Solution, by Robb Wolf -- At times the book can be a bit sophmorish, but that doesn't detract from a wealth of information stored in its pages.

The New Evolution Diet, by Arthur De Vany -- Hard-hitting but friendly, and full of anthropological references, scientific information, and compelling encouragements to eat after the fashion of our ancestors.

You said you've already read TPB, so I avoided listing it. It is a very good read, too.

Wheat Belly has generated some controversy around the paleo/primal community, but I'm sure there's some good information in it. Personally, I'm going to get it from the library rather than buy it. The primary reason for that is because another respected figure in the paleo community, Melissa McEwan of Hunt.Gather.Love wrote a very revealing review of the book that challenges a lot of the misapplied logic and science within its pages. She notes the good points, but has some rather significant concerns about the misinformation in the book.

And while Gary Taubes's research into the carbohydrate hypothesis are extremely well documented and sensible, his extreme low-carb solution only helps with immediate water retention loss. Low-carbing is fine for a time, but the paleo/primal diet eventually does better if the carbs are dialed up to a moderate level. Otherwise, the body starts to manufacture carbs to compensate for the loss. So as far as Taubes's books go, I would start with Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It. That book is much more accessible to people perhaps disinterested in the heavy load of sciencey stuff in Good Calories, Bad Calories.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Great reviews Kane. "Why We Get Fat" sounds like a good starter for my parents, though I don't think they're interested in taking any advice from me since I've always been "slim". Oh well, I'll keep nudging and keep myself educated in the meantime! I am going to request amazon.com and B&N gift cards for the holidays
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    i'm gonna have to get DeVany's book now...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Found this old thread, looking for a book for a family member.

Wish there were a better book out there. She is reading Atkins' original book, although that's probably a good book, he didn't really grasp the evolutionary basis? There's Cordain and I wanted to recommend that but then he recommends diet sodas and says no to saturated fat and salt? It would be nice if someone would write a book that didn't confuse people by adding in crap foods and demonizing real foods. Taubes is correct, but that's more of a history lesson and too logical/boring for the average person. Haven't seen Nora's book. Skimmed Primal Blueprint but found the writing style so so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast